Western Vs Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlanticaccra

Reaction score
I just got accepted OOS to Ohio but Western is my IS. I know tuition is different for both since Western is a private but I don’t want that to be the deciding factor. I really just want to know more about what both schools have to offer. I’m really interested in small animal, zoo, or dermatology. (Western hasn’t posted decisions yet but I just want to have an idea in case I do get in so I can turn my deposit in right away if I decide to go there, since I’ve heard about last year’s accepted waitlist.) thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

first- congrats on getting into ohio!!!! what a great accomplishment :) second- is there a reason why you dont want the cost to be the deciding factor? most of the advice youre going to see on here is to go to the cheapest school, and i tend to agree with that for a lot of reasons. i just hopped on VIN and it looks like right off the bat, western will cost you $50,000 more than ohio. and then you have to take into account the interest your loans will accrue, which could make the difference closer to $60k or $70k by the time you pay them off. i applied to ohio this cycle so i have done some research on what they offer, and i do believe they have a dermatology rotation and they also seem to have a lot of flexibility in their 4th year curriculum which would allow you to tailor your rotations to your specific interests, like zoo medicine. im positive that both western and ohio have tons of small animals opportunities though. congratulations again!

Reactions: 1 users
first- congrats on getting into ohio!!!! what a great accomplishment :) second- is there a reason why you dont want the cost to be the deciding factor? most of the advice youre going to see on here is to go to the cheapest school, and i tend to agree with that for a lot of reasons. i just hopped on VIN and it looks like right off the bat, western will cost you $50,000 more than ohio. and then you have to take into account the interest your loans will accrue, which could make the difference closer to $60k or $70k by the time you pay them off. i applied to ohio this cycle so i have done some research on what they offer, and i do believe they have a dermatology rotation and they also seem to have a lot of flexibility in their 4th year curriculum which would allow you to tailor your rotations to your specific interests, like zoo medicine. im positive that both western and ohio have tons of small animals opportunities though. congratulations again!
Thank you so much! The reason why I don’t want cost to be the deciding factor is because I want to weigh what each school has to offer first before I take that into consideration. I’ve heard that western does not have an 8am-5pm schedule of classes like Ohio does. I’ve been on the quarter system for the past 4 years, so I’m a bit nervous about moving to semester already, and being in class for that long has me thinking, “well how will I eat/sleep/study?” I also loved hearing about PBL during my time at my interview. I feel like I’m a very hands on learner, and the knowledge that I’ve really held on to hasn’t been from regurgitating what’s in my lectures, but from when I’m hands on with cases at work. Part of me is also leaning towards Western if I get in due to the fact that I’m in California already and staying here would be nice, especially with the pandemic going on. However, Ohio is ranked really high. I don’t want to give up what could be a better education. So that’s why I want to know a bit more about both schools in case I have to make a decision! I saw Ohio had a dermatology rotation and thought that was so exciting!

Thank you so much! The reason why I don’t want cost to be the deciding factor is because I want to weigh what each school has to offer first before I take that into consideration. I’ve heard that western does not have an 8am-5pm schedule of classes like Ohio does. I’ve been on the quarter system for the past 4 years, so I’m a bit nervous about moving to semester already, and being in class for that long has me thinking, “well how will I eat/sleep/study?” I also loved hearing about PBL during my time at my interview. I feel like I’m a very hands on learner, and the knowledge that I’ve really held on to hasn’t been from regurgitating what’s in my lectures, but from when I’m hands on with cases at work. Part of me is also leaning towards Western if I get in due to the fact that I’m in California already and staying here would be nice, especially with the pandemic going on. However, Ohio is ranked really high. I don’t want to give up what could be a better education. So that’s why I want to know a bit more about both schools in case I have to make a decision! I saw Ohio had a dermatology rotation and thought that was so exciting!
What did you end up deciding?!? And are you happy with your decision? I am in the same boat with Western and Michigan State and I’m so torn!!