Western's Orgo Lab 2 Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sks2286

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

So i was told that my application was incomplete because I have not taken orgo 2 lab. My school doesn't even offer a orgo lab 2. I find this completely ridiculous. I did take Orgo 2 but there was no lab associated with this. Is there any way i can fight this? What argument could I make? Huge waste of money if it ends up like this.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

WTF? My school only offers one semester of organic lab too. I hope they fix this...

is it a community college?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I went to the University of Illinois in Champaign. Huge state school. I think this could be problem for alot of western applicants.

sounds kind of weird to me that the school did not offer O chem 2 lab. call the schools you are applying to and get their advice

Ya, that's pretty messed up.....but also weird that your school only has 1 semester of orgo lab....i remember orgo lab both semesters as being pretty intense and important

Even my school offers just one O-chem lab for the pre-dents/meds. I am going to ask my instructors if they can write a letter saying that one lab covers the important topics. Maybe I can mail it to the colleges.

I went to the University of Iowa. Our orgo lab was just one semester, but it was 3 hour long labs twice a week. We covered everything and it was the most intense class I have ever taken.

I just spoke with a person from Western. He said that I would need 8 hours of organic chemistry instead. So i was able to complete my appication. So it all worked out in the end.

Take a upper division o-chem lab. That should solve it, unless you already graduated...
Do you have to complete the req before applying?

I just spoke with a person from Western. He said that I would need 8 hours of organic chemistry instead. So i was able to complete my appication. So it all worked out in the end.

Wait I still don't understand. I took Organic Chemistry 1 : 3 credits, Organic Chemistry 2: 3 credits, Organic Chemistry Lab: 3 credits.

9 credits, am I good?

I will simply write them a letter and tell them this: "I will retake my second course of organic chemistry this year in another institution which offers it with lab, if I get accepted to the Western U dental school". I mean write them sth like that to make them satisfied in order to review the rest of your application.

I think most schools should offer organic lab 2. Is it possible for a chemistry major not to have 2 semester of organic chemistry lab? There is a least 1 upper division o-chem lab at all schools.

what marie (lady in charge of admissions) told me to do was email her a copy of the part in the course catalogue that states the requirements for the major and a copy of the classes offered (showing that only 1 semester is offered at your school) and she said she would print that out and attach it to my application and send it to the admissions comittee for me.