WesternU alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moon

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I had interview at COMP on April 2nd and found out yesterday that I'm on the alternate list. I wonder how long the alternate list at this school is and how far do they go down the list for admission. Anybody already decided to turn down COMP please do it soon so that I would get some fat envelope in the mail. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Moon,
I am in the same situation as you. I just got the notice that I'm on the alternate list. Since alternates are not ranked, how does the admissions committee pluck people off the AL? Are all the alternates reviewed once a week after spots become available? BTW, have you been accepted to other schools?

From what COMP students have told me, usually 30-40 people come off the AL.

I just received the same letter, stating that I have been selected as an alternate, so lets hope that we're all successful in coming off the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sith- at least some news is good news.
Good luck to us all! Sith, have you been accepted to other schools already? I'm done with my AACOMAS re-application and I'm just waiting for June 1st.

DJ, Sith, Moon - good luck to you guys. Let me know if anything new arises. By the way, May 15th was on Saturday. WesternU's admission people should have a pretty good idea by now, about who really wants to attend there this Fall. I would call them and inquire/harass if you have to and see wh/ they are going to start on the wait list. At this point I would send letters form any relevant person I know i.e. Drs. senators, congressman etc. - any letter with a big ol' stamp that attracts lots of attention.
hope this helped.
smile.gif

--Nicolas--
WesternU'03

Dogboy - you are a freakin' Troll dude - but since I'm so nice, I'll send you a copy of my new book "How desperate people need to get a life".

Since the May 15th date has come and gone, has anyone heard about any movement with the alternate list. I am still waiting for some type of notice.

Steve

Steve-O:
Most of us won't know before June. The letter states that we will be notified between June - Aug. Last year a girl dropped out after the first week so someone on the AL can get in as late as 1 week after instruction begins.

Nick, If you would like I can send you my book on "how I got into MD school and avoided becoming a DO!"

Small words from a small mind!!!
Your pathetic words do not even scratch the DO armor I have decided to wear.
--Nicolas--
WesternU'03

Reactions: 1 user
DOGBOY,
Earlier you state you would never look down on DOs, but now you are once again contradicting yourself. Explain.

I was taken off the wait list at COMP and have released my place in Kirksville's entering class. I am now officially going to Pomona.

It was a really tough decision and there are good and bad things about both programs.

The two deciding factors for me were location and were I think I will be happier and do better. I live 45 min away from Pomona and am going to practice medicine in Southern California- so I am going to stay here and be educated here.

There is now at least one open seat at Kirksville- and one less available seat in Pomona.

G-luck everyone.

nighty night.
cliff

Cliff, when were you taken off the pomona wait-list, and if it'd be possible can you shed some light on what were some of the things that you did while you were on the wait-list to help you get off the wait-list!

Sorry if I sound too inquisitive, that's because I am currently on the Pomona wait-list and am waiting anxiously to here from them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dogboy

IF you ever get into med school, I hope you'll at least
pretend to be mature. BTW don't EVEN start with the old
"I was accepted to dozens of schools but the one I chose
shall remain nameless". The act is really getting old,
please try to come up with some new material.

Sure thing Sith-

1st- I visited County San Bernadino and met with a DO there after being placed on the 'wait list.' He then submitted another letter of rec after my interview on my behalf.

2nd- I called up the Dean directly and pleaded my case to her - no bull**** and very bluntly. I was accepted to another school but would like to attend COMP. I fired off a letter and a proof that I had been accepted.

3rd- I was accepted to WUHS/COMP.

I really want to stay here in Southern California and had to keep calling COMP and writing them -politely- and wait.

G-luck.
cliff

Steve-O
I got the letter last week.

[This message has been edited by cliff (edited June 05, 1999).]

Cliff,

Congratulations on your acceptance to COMP. I was very impressed with the University when I interviewed there. When did you get your acceptance letter?

Steve

For those of you who have gained acceptance to WesternU/COMP, I congradulate you. You will find the education excellent and most certainly on par with all the other medical schools, osteopathic and allopathic.

It is not the most perfect school but I don't there is one. Please keep in mind, that no school is perfect. And I don't think there is a "top" school. Medical school is what YOU make of it! Just because you go to Harvard or Johns Hopkins does NOT guarrentee you will be the "best" physician.

For those of you still trying to get in, persevere. Do not give up! If you don't get in this year, apply again. Just don't stop trying. Good luck!

Brandon Atkinson, D.O.
WesternU/COMP Alum

Deb,

Why the hostility? I haven't posted in this thread in about three weeks and if you don't believe I have been accepted at several schools why should I tell you which one because you wont believe me anyways. By the way as I posted in a now closed thread that I was accepted off the waitlist at an MD school and will be attending. In fact I just got back from a summer orientation today.

DOGBOY,
There must be at least around 100 or more people in your medical school class, so why are you some damned secretive about where you are going to school?

Leave DOGBOY alone.

If he/she wanted us to know were, he/she would tell all of us.

Does anyone really care? If DB is going to Harvard them DB is smart or if DB is going to Grenada DB sucks? Nope.

Dogboy, could be going to the Bar Code Academy of Medicine in the Canary Islands for all I care.

Just for your information Cliff (not that you were necessarily dogging Grenada), some of the students that go to St. George U. are very good students. I know one who transferred to Columbia and graduated from there. There are many other similar stories.

That was my point also Synergy.

I like the Bar Code Medical school. They must have a really good lasik eye surgery program there to help people read those darn codes.

[This message has been edited by cliff (edited June 07, 1999).]