WesternU/COMP anybody?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new_med

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to COMP next fall and would like to hear from those who will be my classmates and those current students who visit this site. See you next fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations and welcome to the fold! There are many entering COMPer's on the board and a few current students. I will be joining you in the class of 2004!

Would you like to exchange e-mails, dlbruch?
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome y'all to the WesternU/COMP Family!!!

E-mail me if you have specifics you want to know. Take care & congrats again!!!
smile.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

Sure, New_med. My e-mail address is available at the top of my posts. I'll look forward to hearing from you. The same goes for other soon-to-be COMPers- it would be nice to know some folks before we get there.

Know that it is I, Paul's Boutique, who will be leading the way to COMP for the Class of 2004 !

We shall be the greatest, the brightest... the prettiest class of DOs ever to graduate from COMP! Noone shall stand in our way! Noone shall come between us! Divided we stand, united we fall! Four scorch and seven fears ago...

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited 02-08-2000).]

COMPadres, COMPatriots, COMPaneros- Let us band together to fight the invincible foe. They can take our land, but they'll never take our freedom!

PB- I have long wondered how I might recognize you during the first days of classes at COMP- would your wit and passion distinguish you from our peers? Would your biting sarcasm stamp your fingerprint on all around you? Would your appreciation of all illogical and unnecessary scream out your name? Alas, I need no longer worry how I will know it is you- you, of course, will be the prettiest of my classmates! Whew, what a relief!

Don't forget me!
smile.gif

Arnold
Western U/COMP Class of 2004

i'll be your classmate too New-med. I remember the hot weather in pomona in the summer and just can't wait for the ice cream at our president and school founder's house.
Did you all send the second deposit in yet? Is COMP sending us some reminder and payment coupon?

Moon- I just got a reminder in the mail about the second deposit payment a few days ago. Yours must be on the way. Lucky us!

[This message has been edited by dlbruch (edited 02-09-2000).]

I didn't know they would send a reminder. Haven't received mine yet. I thought the deadline was March 15. Or does it depend on when you were accepted? Is it really that warm in Pomona in summer?
smile.gif

New med, get ready for the 100+ with dry air and smog in the summer. I had interview on Sept and it was 106. Burning hot, especially with my suit on.

Hey gang,
If any of you are in S. Cal area and wanna do something before school starts, feel free to contact me.
Did anyone get a call from COMP student today? I thought it was a very nice gesture from COMP because the M1 wanted to know if I have any questions at all about what things to expect as a M1.
I did get my feet wet today as a M1. I was able to hook up with my friend and attend most of the M1 lectures. Some lectures were good but some were dry. But I think we'll all enjoy going there because everyone there are very friendly and helfpul.

------------------
DJ
WU/COMP Class of 2004!

Members don't see this ad :)
DJ,

What if we're in S. Cal, but are not going to COMP? I would like to see who some of you people are before I have to leave for SF. Well... if anyone is interested, email me
smile.gif

Anyone know when the next deposit is due?

DJ,

Where in S. Cal are you? I am in L.A.
Yes, it would be fun to get to know each other before we start school. At this point of time, I don't personally know anybody who is going to COMP next fall.

Of course you do: You know ME! PAUL'S BOUTIQUE! Saviour of the Lost! Helper of the Needy! Finder of Lost Socks! Keeper of the Holy Moley! Arranger of the Dried Flowers! More Powerful than A Loco-motive! Unable to Leap A Tall Footstool Without Assistance!

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited 02-10-2000).]

smile.gif
What I meant was that haven't actually met anyone from my class (except for the ones I was interviewed with, if they got in). Have I met you, Paul's?
smile.gif

Hi there my brave classmates,

I?m sure glad to be in this boat. We will be spending hours, days and years together before we know it. Are all of you in good spirit and ready to take on one of the most interesting and challenging tasks of your lifetime? WesternU is a very friendly place, and I was convinced when I spent a whole day with the students. I also got a call yesterday from a MS2 student. Congratulations to each one of you!!!! I hope more people respond to this post.

------------------
COMP'04

I am pretty sure, all of us are happy to be in this boat. By the way, are you into airplanes? Where did this nick come from?
smile.gif

What a friendly thread....typical WesternU/COMP family bond!!
smile.gif

If I can help, don't hesitate to ask
smile.gif

Congrats & maybe I'll run into some of you during EFM or your ICMs. Peace y'all!!!

Rob

I am impressed! This name came from a famous Russian pilot after who they had named the village where I used to visit in the summers.

------------------
COMP'04

Wow! I'm so very excited to attend WesternU, particularly after hearing everyone's posts!
There have been questions concerning housing possibilities around COMP previously posted, but I was wondering if many people choose to live in roommate situations. How does one get in contact with other students who would might desire such an arrangement?

I am new to the school too, Calvingrad, but I think you have to contact Student Services or something like that. They will try to match you with someone in the same situation. Ask Rob (Future DOc), he must know it all
smile.gif

Chkalov, the question was actually meant to impress
smile.gif

You are right, new_med!!! If you desire to have a roommate, you can contact Student Affairs. They will give you a form that ask certain questions & then they will match you with some people with phone #s to call.

Most students actually live within the area by themselves or move in with new friends they meet. Hey, why don't all of you room together in one huge loft!!
smile.gif
You all seem like friendly folks!!
wink.gif

Pomona is not really a safe place. Most students live in adjacent areas such as Claremont, Chino, or Upland. If money is not a prob for you, there are great, beautiful but pricey apartments in Chino & Claremont. If you are like me & budgeting is a must, Upland has great apartments & they are not too expensive. I only mentioned these cities b/c they are all within 5-10min drive to campus. San Dimas, Diamond Bar, etc.. are great, but they are a drive to campus.

Rule of thumb when searching for apts: anything south of the 60 freeway & north of the 10 freeway are great, safe areas (Chino, CLaremont, Upland). Anything else in between the two freeways (where COMP is located) is sort of shady, but okay!! Make sure to watch yourself if you decide to walk around Pomona parts. Good luck my fellow WesternU/COMP family members. PEACE!!!

Rob

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 02-11-2000).]

Darly:
Of course you can join us.

new_med:
I am a local. NOT "LOCO" though. BTW, did you take any Russian History during undergrad?

calvingrad:
I got this from Western U. catalog 1998-2000. "The University does not provide on-campus or off-campus housing accommodations for its students; however, there is an off-campus housing referral system to help students locate houses, apts., roommates, etc. A local map, the real estate sections of local newspapers, and information on activities in the surrounding communities are available in the Student Affairs Office."

------------------
DJ
WU/COMP Class of 2004!

Try Compton; I heard it's really nice this time of year...

DJ

I took Russian history in Russia
smile.gif
Why? Did you take any Russian courses?

New_med
Where are you from? I went to a Russian school myself at one of the former Soviet republics. So I am interested where in Russia did you study. Maybe we have a common background.

------------------
COMP'04

Chkalov,

I studied in Kiev, Ukraine. How about you? And how long did you live there?

Hello to the 2004 hopefuls,
I have been reading the posts and have kept busy e-mailing some of you while considering which school to attend. Thanks to all who have responded.
I have decided to NOT send in a deposit to NYCOM and unless I hear from one other school but the 15th of March, I will be sending in the second deposit to COMP.
I am really excited to head out to California! COMP is an excellent school and I think COMP has something special, something most schools don't have...personality. I'm looking foward to getting to know y'all before classes start.
I will be looking for a place to live in the Upland/Pomona/Chino area. Since I'm from New York, if anybody wants to clue me in w.r.t. the area, feel free to do so. I would like to move-in in July. Is anyone interested in living in a house? In my college experiences, renting an entire house was always cheaper than living alone. Plus it would be great to live with other med students. Co-ed wouldn't bother me, but ladies...I leave the seat up.
I'm just tickled pink about the prospect of meeting all of you.
Oh, if there is anyone else out there who will be attending COMP from the east coast, drop me a note.
Thanks.

I was just curious new_med.

Bevo- welcome to our COMP family! I was actually thinking of becoming a VISTA volunteer myself. But they require at least 1 year of service.

------------------
DJ
WU/COMP Class of 2004!

new_med

I lived in Yerevan, Armenia and attended a Russian school. I have traveled a lot inside Russia but never been to Ukraine. I heard it used to be a great place to live (I am not sure about the present time). It's nice to get to know you.

Chkalov,

Good to get to know you too, see you in class
smile.gif

Any of you guys get the ISAC letter yet? Anyone going to do it?

I got the letter two days ago, and after thingking about it for some time I decided to apply and sent in my application today.
I would love to hear from current students about what they think about this class.

I got the letter 2-3 days ago and decided not to apply. However, I think it may be very helpful for those who haven't taken any serious anatomy courses. I heard it makes your life much easier when the real classes start.

What im worried about is that although i want to do it, im still waiting for some more schools to reply. i dont want to commit to something and have to bail on them.

How hard is it to get in COMP? What ere you guys's stats?

I didn't do the ISAC & did well in anatomy. Yes, your life will be a lot easier in the Fall if you guys did the ISAC, but your summer will be hell though. Its a trade off-Bad summer, but more relaxing Fall. If you decide to do ISAC, say goodbye to your summer. Remember that ISAC squeezes anatomy into 7wks as opposed to 11wks in the fall. You better be sharp as a toad!!

Also remember that you have to pass it to not have to take it with your regular class. If you don't, you just lost your summer & began the same time with your other classmates who had a restful summer. You will burnt out quicker than you know it.

If you ask me, I wouldn't do it. Enjoy as much of your time NOW b/c it will vanish when your medical school begins in Fall....just tackle anatomy with the rest of your classmates. Its more fun that way anyway as opposed to wasting your summer.

This is just my personal observation, but I didn't take any anatomy prep or did ISAC & I did well. As long as you work hard, you will be fine. Good luck upcoming COMPers!!!
smile.gif

To Nik: COMP is quite competitive....8,9,10,S & 3.8 undergrad.

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 02-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 02-19-2000).]