WesternU COMP (Pomona) vs Midwestern AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tripleds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Was very fortunate to receive acceptances from both of these places. As the deadline for deposits is coming up, I'd love some insight into which one would be better. I am an AZ resident who wouldn't be opposed to leaving. I'm most interested in keeping my options open for residency, so rotation quality is key! Wondering if anyone can speak to this.

Obviously the other biggest comparison is cost. It's hard to justify Midwestern's insane tuition, I'm wondering if there's anything that really makes it worth the extra cash.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read, the huge jump in tuition is not equitable to anything significant in your education at Midwestern. You're talking about a 60k price difference over 4 years w interest which is huge imo...

I can't speak on the quality of rotation sites, especially at Western since I know they change year by year. However, I do know that the reputation of Western DO students precedes itself and will leaves you comfortably matching into CA. I can't speak on how that would translate to AZ, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Was very fortunate to receive acceptances from both of these places. As the deadline for deposits is coming up, I'd love some insight into which one would be better. I am an AZ resident who wouldn't be opposed to leaving. I'm most interested in keeping my options open for residency, so rotation quality is key! Wondering if anyone can speak to this.

Obviously the other biggest comparison is cost. It's hard to justify Midwestern's insane tuition, I'm wondering if there's anything that really makes it worth the extra cash.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!
I’m from AZ and there isn’t a DO school that I would choose over AZCOM simply because it would be cheaper for me. Could you live with parents? That would save a bunch of money, housing in Cali isn’t cheap. Additionally, there are numerous scholarships at AZCOM such as WICHE, which takes off 25k tuition a year, and I believe the stipulation is you have to serve in Arizona as an attending for a couple of years. My effective COA with that scholarship would be 200k which isn’t too bad all things considered

Reactions: 1 user
I’m from AZ and there isn’t a DO school that I would choose over AZCOM simply because it would be cheaper for me. Could you live with parents? That would save a bunch of money, housing in Cali isn’t cheap. Additionally, there are numerous scholarships at AZCOM such as WICHE, which takes off 25k tuition a year, and I believe the stipulation is you have to serve in Arizona as an attending for a couple of years. My effective COA with that scholarship would be 200k which isn’t too bad all things considered
I appreciate the response! My current COL in AZ is essentially equal to Pomona. I’ll have to look into WICHE though, seems like a good deal. This post is geared more toward where I’ll have the best academic opportunities, I’m interested in gen surg and hope to keep my options open as a DO

edit: also looks like WICHE works for COMP, making this still a cheaper option

Status
Not open for further replies.