WesternU vs. Nova vs. ATSU-mesa vs. LECOM-erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlmostCompetant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm tremendously grateful to have the choice, but now I need a clue. None of the schools really "clicked" with me. So, I've been forced to look at residency placements and board scores. It seems that of the bunch WesternU stands out on those two criteria. I know there are a lot of similar posts but I'd love any additional advice people might have. Though if I were told I had two minutes to decide I think it'd come down to Western or Nova and then I might just close my eyes and point.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, i don't think looking at passing rate is always the best way to pick a school, as that really depends on the individuals ability to study and take the boards. if you didn't click with any of the schools (although I doubt thats the case, I'm sure you liked one at least a little better than others!) then make a pro and con list and then you can include things like tuition, housing, location, and whatever else you think is important and decide that way. good luck.

Nova=required 1st year medical spanish class. Perhaps that fits ur fancy perhaps not good sir. Good day

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Members don't see this ad :)
You could also try picking last choices and vetoing them. like does one school have a policy that would cause significant difficulty/inconvenience on a day to day basis? Whittling the schools down to just one or two is a good way to go initially.

Here's what I wrote in another thread. I've been accepted at Nova and Western, and my goal is to stay in California for residency. As a result, I'm probably going to go with WesternU on this one. All of my thoughts are from memory, so I may be missing details here and there. This post will come off as WesternU biased; I simply remember more from it.

Facilities:
NSU has more modern facilities overall, and I believe they have more simulation resources (dummies) compared to Western's standardized patients. though WesternU has improved with their opening of their Health Education Center and Patient Care Center. There are plenty of new lockers and study rooms now. Most classes should be recorded at WesternU through the Apreso system, but I believe NSU's are more on-and-off with their recordings.

NSU wins, since Ft. Lauderdale is in a nicer area. WesternU's location in Pomona isn't the best; there's a stretch of downtown which has that homey "Oldtown" feeling, but Pomona has plenty of shady-looking areas that you probably shouldn't hang around at night (i.e. prostitutes come out on Holt Ave.). I don't mind the area because I know that I'll either be on campus, at the gym in the Oldtown area, or at my non-Pomona apartment. The flipside of living in a not-so-pretty area is that there are cheap groceries around, such as at the El Super. NSU is wet heat, while Pomona is dry heat.

Curriculum:
NSU has a traditional curriculum. The M1s I talked with were stressed during the tour, as administration had recently changed the frequency of exams from more weekly based to large cumulative ones, so they had to remember a lot more than previous classes. NSU and WesternU have interdisciplinary education, since their campuses house multiple health profession programs (DMD, Pharm, etc.). Attendance was enforced through ID card readers near the entrance to lecture halls.
WesternU characterizes their curriculum as hybrid case-based learning. The first year is akin to a traditional block-based curriculum (Anatomy, Biochem), with clinical medicine essentials and OMM running year round. The second year introduces PBL concepts like small groups; WesternU states that faculty will give you more guidance, questions, and handouts compared to typical PBL curriculums, and the whole class meets up once a week to realign groups on a common track. I wasn't sure of their attendance policy. WesternU has no specific COMLEX board preparation, while NSU works with one of the review companies (I think Kaplan) to provide COMLEX prep and test bank questions.

Clinical Rotations:
This is where I made my choice for WesternU over NSU. NSU has some great rotations with Broward General (it's huge and has liver transplant!), Sinai, and Jackson Memorial, but my M1 guides didn't have any personal experience with clinical rorations yet. I was very impressed with the responsibility that WesternU students were given at their rotation sites at Arrowhead Regional and Riverside, and the M4 I talked with gushed at the wide pathology and autonomy students had at their rotations. If you wanted to work hard, you could gain some great hands-on experience during your rotations.
I wasn't a big fan of NSU's 2 months of Family Medicine and 2 months of required Rural rotations (done usually at a rural area or at county jail). WesternU was more balanced in my opinion, and I could take an elective 3rd year before my Match application is due. WesternU also has many university hospitals (USC, UCLA, Loma Linda) nearby where I could do my away sub-internships in, which is important if I want to pursue a residency at these Southern California programs.

Community Service
I didn't receive much information at NSU about this, but I am aware that NSU students participate in community service electives and help out at health fairs. WesternU students have the Montclair Clinic, PCHAT, PHOP, Chinatown Clinic, and community health fairs.
Actually, WesternU was the reason I became aware of the DO field. I helped create a health fair for the city of Monterey Park, and we recruited WesternU students to provide services. Over 30 DO and podiatry students came to provide glucose, cholesterol, OMM, and podiatry screenings to the community; I was impressed by their dedication to serve, and my experience definitely influenced my decision to choose WesternU.

Perhaps someone with experience from NSU could chime in too. And remember: check each school's websites throughly, as there's a lot of information just waiting to be read about curriculum, rotations, and lifestyle.

I'm a cheapskate so my choice would be LECOM-Erie

How did you guys find out about them making Medical Spanish optional for next year's class?

I would assume that they attend NOVA. As a student, I can pretty sure that the school will make Spanish optional since they gave us the option for next semester. Also, they say attendance is required but it's not really enforced except for in lab for obvious reasons, I can assure you first hand. Dress code is only strictly enforced during exams, it pretty much seems like everyone comes in scrub pants and a t-shirt.

Last edited:
Regarding Nova:

When I interviewed I saw very few medical students actually adhering to the dress code. The only ones who seemed to were the tour guides.

Liked the feel of the school, liked the area (infinitely better than pomona!), and their rotations are extremely solid.

During your elective year at Nova, if you wanted to shoot for a california residency, you can always set up rotations in anticipation of this.

tremendously helpful so far. You guys are great =)

And I'm from Southern California

As a current first year at Western U/Comp, I can say without a doubt Nova is the better choice. A couple of my friends got their COMLEX 1 and USMLE board scores back a couple months ago, one of them failed, the other barely passed. From my experience, the school doesn't seem to prepare us enough for these tests and it will really hurt us in the long run when applying to residencies. The curriculum is also changing to this cased-based crap and I'm not sure its helping anyone learn better. One thing that I really don't like about Western is that they are too strict, I know a guy who actually got kicked out for simply not following protocol at one of his rotation sites. By the way, the rotation sites aren't as solid as Nova, as Nova has more connections with better hospitals with better reputations. A friend of mine is a 3rd year at western and wasn't allowed to do anything but watch at one of his rotation sites!!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current first year at Western U/Comp, I can say without a doubt Nova is the better choice. A couple of my friends got their COMLEX 1 and USMLE board scores back a couple months ago, one of them failed, the other barely passed. From my experience, the school doesn't seem to prepare us enough for these tests and it will really hurt us in the long run when applying to residencies. The curriculum is also changing to this cased-based crap and I'm not sure its helping anyone learn better. One thing that I really don't like about Western is that they are too strict, I know a guy who actually got kicked out for simply not following protocol at one of his rotation sites. By the way, the rotation sites aren't as solid as Nova, as Nova has more connections with better hospitals with better reputations. A friend of mine is a 3rd year at western and wasn't allowed to do anything but watch at one of his rotation sites!!

I call BS on you being a Western student. Students call it Western, not "Western U/Comp". All four of your posts spew this same smear (at least this one isn't racist like the other one talking about your fear of blacks and hispanics). Really? Your friend got kicked out for not following protocol? Lame. Also, it's a hybrid curriculum, not all "cased-based" (sic) like you purport.

Oh that and - of all things - a jab at Western's rotation sites. Sorry dude, rotation sites are one of Western's many strong areas. I encourage everyone to take a really close look at Western's rotation sites. I did and I was so impressed with what I saw that I withdrew my other acceptances and cancelled my remaining interviews.

I got accepted to all these schools and each one had strengths. You don't see me bashing them, but then again, I'm a real person. LECOM - I loved PBL and I wish my school were as economical as yours. NSU - Your campus is beautiful and your rotations are awesome too. ATSU - I really liked the campus atmosphere and know some great people attending your school.

Best of luck to you all in your decision.

Last edited:
I would assume that they attend NOVA. As a student, I can pretty sure that the school will make Spanish optional since they gave us the option for next semester. Also, they say attendance is required but it's not really enforced except for in lab for obvious reasons, I can assure you first hand. Dress code is only strictly enforced during exams, it pretty much seems like everyone comes in scrub pants and a t-shirt.

NOVA has a dress code?

I'm tremendously grateful to have the choice, but now I need a clue. None of the schools really "clicked" with me. So, I've been forced to look at residency placements and board scores. It seems that of the bunch WesternU stands out on those two criteria. I know there are a lot of similar posts but I'd love any additional advice people might have. Though if I were told I had two minutes to decide I think it'd come down to Western or Nova and then I might just close my eyes and point.

I've been to Nova for a health camp when I was in high school and I found it really informative and I really liked all of the professors that I met. Everyone was really helpful and seemed liked they took a personal interest in who you were as a person. All of the medical students that I met were also really helpful and patient and intelligent. I haven't heard much about the other schools, but I can tell you that Nova is probably one of the best, in my opinion. Best of luck choosing!

If you are a cool person, go to lecom-erie. Its cheap, and im going there. enough said.

Yep. Business casual or scrubs, but that's not really a bad thing. Scrubs are comfy :)

Every day I wake up and as I go through the closet to find something appropriate for work I think to myself: in five months all I will have to do is throw on a clean set of scrubs and head out the door, where the sun is shining and snow has never fallen. I cannot wait.

Every day I wake up and as I go through the closet to find something appropriate for work I think to myself: in five months all I will have to do is throw on a clean set of scrubs and head out the door, where the sun is shining and snow has never fallen. I cannot wait.

You and me both, banana.

I'm driving from Portland, OR to NSU. My wife and I will take a month to drive there. Could you imagine taking a month to get to Pamona?:)

Reactions: 1 user