This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mirthyo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is my first post so please go easy on me!

I recently got accepted to the DMD program and WesternU and the DDS program at CU. I am a CA resident so do not qualify for in-state at CU unfortunately :confused: I was wondering where everyone thought was a better school to go to? My only qualms with Western is that it is a newer school so is less reputable than CU, and I would like to have the option of specializing. The class sizes are smaller at Western, the faculty seem more friendly and I would be closer to home.

My dentist and mentor told me to choose CU though since the education structure is way more "traditional" and is looked at more favorably than Western's more "non-traditional" that follows an osteopathic model, with no "formal departmental structure".

I would appreciate any and all input on this since I am seriously stuck, especially from current students, if possible! Thank you so much! :):):)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think reputation really holds all that much weight. Just do well in your classes and rank well among your dental class, and you should have a good shot at specializing.

From what I read in your post, WesternU has more "pros" than CU. So from what I can understand from your circumstances, putting myself in your shoes, that's the school I would pick.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your responses, everyone! It definitely gave me a lot to think about!

Reactions: 1 user
I do agree with your dentist and mentor that CU does have a more traditional learning curriculum if you care how the education works. Attending the cheapest school is always a good idea to follow. But if cost are about the same, I would go to Western, especially if you plan on practicing in CA. Build connections in your home state and do well in school. It doesn't really matter where you go as long as you put in the hard work.