Wet behind the ears ~ Freshmen undergrad needing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grassisgreener

Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm 30 and I have been a hairdresser for 10 years. I have decided that I've capped out as a hairdresser/esthetician and want to take my education and career higher and become a dermatologist.

I know that being 30 and starting from the VERY beginning I won't actually get to the title of dermatologist until I'm probably in my 40's.

However, with that being said, I'm ready to progress. I feel that being married and an older student I have an advantage because I have no real distractions other than work.

I start my classes next week. I am a chemistry major (love, love science). I start my volunteering position at County very soon. Is there anything else, other than getting a high GPA and nailing the MCAT that I should do? How do I get into a research program?

Also, what are the scores I should strive for on the MCAT?

Thank you!:p

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm 30 and I have been a hairdresser for 10 years. I have decided that I've capped out as a hairdresser/esthetician and want to take my education and career higher and become a dermatologist.

I know that being 30 and starting from the VERY beginning I won't actually get to the title of dermatologist until I'm probably in my 40's.

However, with that being said, I'm ready to progress. I feel that being married and an older student I have an advantage because I have no real distractions other than work.

I start my classes next week. I am a chemistry major (love, love science). I start my volunteering position at County very soon. Is there anything else, other than getting a high GPA and nailing the MCAT that I should do? How do I get into a research program?

Also, what are the scores I should strive for on the MCAT?

Thank you!:p

Well first, I recommend you don't go into the whole thing absolutely set on being a dermatologist. That happens to be the most competitive field of medicine right there with plastics. Make sure you'd be happy being another kind of doctor also, in the off-chance you don't get derm.

Once you have a solid and up-to-date science background you can start looking into labs at nearby teaching hospitals or at your school if they have room for you (make sure it's in something you know a decent amount about -- which is why you should wait till you've taken a few classes first).

And of course, always always strive for a 45. :)

Good luck. :thumbup:

Oh and PS: I was watching Shear Genius the other day, and it seemed that 10 years experience as a hairdresser was no where near capped -- those guys were the newbies

Oh and PS: I was watching Shear Genius the other day, and it seemed that 10 years experience as a hairdresser was no where near capped -- those guys were the newbies

Thanks so much! Great advice I will keep my options open.:thumbup:

I have actually been working onset and in the salon in Los Angeles for 10 years. The reason why I feel capped out is because I have no want to raise my prices or move to Beverly Hills which is the next step. Believe I won't be helping anyone in Beverly Hills doing their highlights for 300.00. And powdering noses for 12 hours just isn't where my heart is! I want to actually help people on a more molecular, substantial level.