what a day!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etf

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i went to the mailbox today and found it stuffed. along with the usual offers from capital one and a catholic san francisco newsletter, i received 11 thin envelopes from medical schools today. that's got to be some kind of record - there are folks on sdn that didn't even apply to 11 schools. sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry etf - that's a bit of a bummer. I would say throw them out and go get a drink....or two!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
holy crap...that is some serious bad luck

or it could be the work of a conspiring mail-man to crush his victims.

either way, sorry bro :(

holy crap...that is some serious bad luck

or it could be the work of a conspiring mail-man to crush his victims.

either way, sorry bro :(

lol, it's actually more humorous to me than it is depressing. they all have different postmarks and are from all over the country - i'd understand on tuesday due to presidents day or something, but it's thursday. the only thing i'm hoping is that the mailman doesn't think i'm some huge loser. i blame it all on the eclipse.

How many are rejections? wow that is a lot of letters... tommarrow will better:D

lol, it's actually more humorous to me than it is depressing. they all have different postmarks and are from all over the country - i'd understand on tuesday due to presidents day or something, but it's thursday. the only thing i'm hoping is that the mailman doesn't think i'm some huge loser. i blame it all on the eclipse.

Sorry to hear that. It really sucks. But the good thing is that people outside of this process have no clue how the med school process works. For all you know the mailman may think your a star with all those "11 acceptances" you got. Just be glad med schools haven't resorted to stamping "REJECTED" on the outside of the envelope.

:laugh:

that is absolutely insane! How random that they're all the same day. Haha i sorta forgot that there were schools i hadn't heard from, until i got home last night at 11pm and found the thin envelope myself.

haha

well...sometimes acceptances are in thin letters too...

so far all of mine were thin letters....

i went to the mailbox today and found it stuffed. along with the usual offers from capital one and a catholic san francisco newsletter, i received 11 thin envelopes from medical schools today. that's got to be some kind of record - there are folks on sdn that didn't even apply to 11 schools. sigh.

How many are rejections? wow that is a lot of letters... tommarrow will better:D

i thought it was pretty clear that ALL of them were rejections. i didn't even open a few of them...my fingers are tired/paper-cutted up :laugh:

Two of the medical schools that accepted me were thin. To folks that get thin letters, open them because they may be acceptance letter. Don't automatically dismiss them as rejection letters. They may or may not be rejections.

That is a lot of letters. Keep them. Once you become a doctor, they'll be a great reminder of how hard you've worked. Or... you can use them as toilet paper... :D

Members don't see this ad :)

care to share some of the schools so I know what to expect when i get home?:D

Two of the medical schools that accepted me were thin. To folks that get thin letters, open them because they may be acceptance letter. Don't automatically dismiss them as rejection letters. They may or may not be rejections.

good point...however, i'm sure that the letters you received were from schools you interviewed at, and were thus expecting some kind of correspondence from. i didn't interview at the university of michigan (at least i don't remember it), so when that letter came from ann arbor, i did the math. about 2 of the 11 remain unopened, but i held it up to the light, looking for a 4 to 5 digit number...usually an indication of the number of applications the school has received, and how it is their great displeasure to notify me that i won't be one of their acceptances.

oh well, the way i see it, at least i've got a LOT of people wishing me success in my future endeavors!

holy siht!!!:eek: Sorry, bud!:(:(

I certainly hope you have at least one acceptance already :(

Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. But hey, if I were you I'd open a bottle of something and sit outside tonight with a NICE open fire;) and enjoy the night air

Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. But hey, if I were you I'd open a bottle of something and sit outside tonight with a NICE open fire;) and enjoy the night air

You make me REALLY wish I were in Texas right now where I wouldn't freeze solid if I decided to sit outside in front of a fire tonight. Speaking of which, I'm going for some Texas BBQ brisket tonight. Yee Haw! Supposedly one of the most authentic attempts at it in Chicago, at least.

etf, I recommend you do the same. Indulge in something pleasurable (whether that's a chocolate cake, brisket, a bottle of wine, a bonfire to burn the letters in, etc.), and just try to look forward. If your will is in it, I know you'll make a great doctor, despite this ridiculously disheartening process. Regardless, I'm really sorry about the rejections, and especially the way they came to you in an avalanche. That's harsh. Way harsh.

You make me REALLY wish I were in Texas right now where I wouldn't freeze solid if I decided to sit outside in front of a fire tonight. Speaking of which, I'm going for some Texas BBQ brisket tonight. Yee Haw! Supposedly one of the most authentic attempts at it in Chicago, at least.

etf, I recommend you do the same. Indulge in something pleasurable (whether that's a chocolate cake, brisket, a bottle of wine, a bonfire to burn the letters in, etc.), and just try to look forward. If your will is in it, I know you'll make a great doctor, despite this ridiculously disheartening process. Regardless, I'm really sorry about the rejections, and especially the way they came to you in an avalanche. That's harsh. Way harsh.

:laugh: yep, not a chance of freezing tonight. Although I fire might be too hot, since it's so humid at night.

But I'd so make a bonfire out of those letters and watch them burn:thumbup:

:laugh: yep, not a chance of freezing tonight. Although I fire might be too hot, since it's so humid at night.

But I'd so make a bonfire out of those letters and watch them burn:thumbup:

actually, it's been raining here in san francisco (just started after a long hiatus), so no outdoor activities. haha, but it seems that everybody here thinks that i'm in some major depression or something, which totally is not the case! like i said earlier, i'm much more amused about the timing of the delivery than with the actual content of the correspondence, and as a reapplicant, realize that it's all just part of the game.

Definitely sucks how you wait months for some status update, but never hear a peep from any med school since like July/August. And then suddenly one day they all decide to send you a rejection letter. That is insane...

actually, it's been raining here in san francisco (just started after a long hiatus), so no outdoor activities. haha, but it seems that everybody here thinks that i'm in some major depression or something, which totally is not the case! like i said earlier, i'm much more amused about the timing of the delivery than with the actual content of the correspondence, and as a reapplicant, realize that it's all just part of the game.

I'd be in some depression. I'd be in violent mode later so that's why I suggested the bonfire:laugh:

Well you could crank up the fireplace and toss them in and relax:thumbup: works either way. What are you going to do with them all? Don't throw them away, if they have to leave send them out in style, preferably heat style;)

well, the weather here's not too great today. it's wet and i actually had to wear a coat.

While I only got one rejection today, it was dated Jan 28. Apparently it takes Stanford a month to seal and send an envelope 15 minutes away to my house.

Sorry about your day, though. Even with 50+ schools, the most rejections I've received on a single day has been five.

That is a lot of letters. Keep them. Once you become a
doctor, they'll be a great reminder of how hard you've worked. Or... you can use them as toilet paper... :D

hA! That's what I'm doing! 10 rejections to date (but luckily not all at once! :eek: so sorry etf!); As bizarre as it sounds I've come to just laugh every time I see another because the surprise is gone.

Oh well, now I've got to move on and get crackin' on a new master plan.:) Good luck to you etf, don't give up yet!

Hey ETF, dont give up...hopefully something positive will come out of all of this...

Good Luck...

Holy cow! I applied to 11 schools, TOTAL! How insane is it that you would get 11 in one day?! Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck, and hopefully you'll get in somewhere that you'd really like to go.

Well, the good news is, you probably won't be going through that ever again... and when you DO get in, it'll be a good drinkin' story!

Note to self: Fix bad karma before schools gang up on me.

Rather all at once than receiving one rejection letter for eleven consecutive days. That would just murder me.

update: 6:56 am (PST) Feb 22, 2008

no new interview invites in gmail. we'll see what the usps has to say about all this...

well, the weather here's not too great today. it's wet and i actually had to wear a coat.

Coat? Ha! I don't even wear a coat when it's 5 degrees out (as Phoenix can attest)! Yea, I'll never do that again...:oops:

OP, some schools do interview invites via snail mail with no e-mail notification (Wayne State comes to mind), so it might be worthwhile to open the letters.

Coat? Ha! I don't even wear a coat when it's 5 degrees out (as Phoenix can attest)! Yea, I'll never do that again...:oops:

OP, some schools do interview invites via snail mail with no e-mail notification (Wayne State comes to mind), so it might be worthwhile to open the letters.

I was wondering if you were actually human. I imagine undead med school applicants are impervious to midwest winters.

I was wondering if you were actually human. I imagine undead med school applicants are impervious to midwest winters.

Actually, I think I was an emperor penguin in a previous life. :)

Last edited:
Geez, I think that REALLY sucks but...Some messed up side of me finds that to be a little funny as well? Eheh, either way, I agree with burning them in some way, but the weather is pretty crappy in the bay right now, so using a stove or a lighter is a good enough replacement for a bonfire. You could always take Lex's advice of using them for toilet paper, it'd save some money, and it'll let you avoid going out in the rain incase you run out of TP! Just remember to crumple the paper up and then straighten it out first to make it softer a bit. XD

good point...however, i'm sure that the letters you received were from schools you interviewed at, and were thus expecting some kind of correspondence from. i didn't interview at the university of michigan (at least i don't remember it), so when that letter came from ann arbor, i did the math. about 2 of the 11 remain unopened, but i held it up to the light, looking for a 4 to 5 digit number...usually an indication of the number of applications the school has received, and how it is their great displeasure to notify me that i won't be one of their acceptances.

oh well, the way i see it, at least i've got a LOT of people wishing me success in my future endeavors!

I just have to comment that one of my interview invites came in a one-page letter in the mail.. so you never know.

I'm sorry to hear that. I thought that my 7 rejection letters were bad. Not to mention that they came on my gf's birthday. Thankfully I refused to let them affect me, like you did. Hope your luck turns around.

:thumbup::luck: from one reapplicant to another.