What a day!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jargon124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i get home from a boring day of class only to find a nice thin envelope in my mailbox from Cornell (rejection without interview). As this was my first rejection, and I had no acceptances, I was pissed and worried. So I get into my apartment to check my email, and next thing I know I got into NYU! For those interested, I interviewed 12/15. Needless to say, it took away the pain of the rejection. What a feeling! :clap:

I need some advice though. I am scheduled for interviews at UMaryland and Georgetown for this coming Monday and Tuesday. Now, NYU is definitely preferable to these schools as far as I'm concerned. I can find no reason to go to the interviews and deal with all the trouble of flying and everything. Do you all think it would be too rude to call these schools and cancel my appointments? I know its not much notice, but I really don't want to make this trip. I know some of you have been in similiar situations - any advice? I have a Pitt interview scheduled for next Friday that I am gonna keep - as I've heard lots of great things about the school (don't know about Pittsburgh though). Thanks and good luck all! Hang in there August MCATers, those acceptances are coming!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations...Wish I could help you make that decision about those interviews. It is kind of short notice but I wouldn't doubt that the interviewers would be happy to have one less to interview that day...it's hard work for them too.

Hey Jargon,

First off, congrats on your acceptance! Here's my opinion. If you prefer NYU over those two schools, then I would go ahead and cancel them. I'm sure they will have no problems filling in those gaps besides, it's not worth your time and their time if you have no interest in going to their school. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Jargon124!! If you don't want to go to those schools, save your money. I don't think it'd look bad to cancel. Plus, you'd be possibly freeing up two spots for two other applicants who may really want to go there. Congrats again! :)

Now that I think about it a bit more, definitely cancel. They'll have plenty of other interviewers those days even if they can't fill your spots. Congratulations again...

Cograts Jargon!!! Go ahead and cancel the interviews. Not to do so would just be a waste of time for both them and you. They will understand. Call them ASAP!

Way to go jargon!! :D :D I'm so happy for you!!!! :clap: :) :clap: :) :clap:

I agree about canceling. Time to loll around and be a lady-of-leisure!!! ;)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. :) I will call the two schools in question tomorrow morning and cancel.

Btw SMW - I will take your advice, but I will have to be a "guy-of-leisure" instead. Maybe I can find a "lady-of-leisure" and we can engage in some "leisure" activities together :D ;)

Anyhow - time to go get drunk.

Thanks again and good luck all!

Jargon!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so thrilled for you. . . you definitely deserve this great news!!!!

And btw, if you don't want to attend GW, etc., then definitely cancel. I went ahead and did this myself; it was no problem, they were polite in their reply. :)

CONGRATS again, "Dr. Jargon"! ;) :clap:

Originally posted by jargon124:
•Btw SMW - I will take your advice, but I will have to be a "guy-of-leisure" instead. Maybe I can find a "lady-of-leisure" and we can engage in some "leisure" activities together :D ;) •••

What's this? Did SMW make another mistake? Tsk, tsk.... (see you correct my spelling once, and I hold a grudge forever :D ).

Anyway, congrats jargon. I'd pass on the interviews. The adcoms and the interviewers have enough on their plates these days that they'll be glad to have a free hour. I'm sure that happens all the time.

i don't see no miss stake. but anyway jargon. it's all you playa. :clap:

georgetown is pretty special. i think that you would be impressed so maybe you should go. schools understand that you will cancel interviews when you get acceptances that you really want. i've cancelled four interviews and they were mostly nice to me.

echoing rajneel's comment on georgetown. don't knock it til you try it! Was real impressed with the 4th year 'acting intern' rotation where you oversee a 3rd year, the prodigous number of international rotations they have lined up for 4th years, among some other cool aspects to their curriculum.

Just playing devil's advocate, but how do you KNOW you wouldn't like georgetown? Having an acceptance will help you sit pretty and really feel comfortable in the interview process there and later at Pitt, which I definitely agree is a great interview! do a quick search (yes, i'm a fan of this, folks) in pre-allo for these schools in the subject of threads and see what others on here thought.

Originally posted by jargon124:

Btw SMW - I will take your advice, but I will have to be a "guy-of-leisure" instead. Maybe I can find a "lady-of-leisure" and we can engage in some "leisure" activities together :D ;) •••

Oops, sorry, jargon. I don't know why, but ever since the beginning of the August MCATer thread, I've pictured you as female (with a long, blonde ponytail!). It's OK, everyone thought I was a guy for quite a long time! :D

Originally posted by brandonite:

What's this? Did SMW make another mistake? Tsk, tsk.... (see you correct my spelling once, and I hold a grudge forever :D ).•••

Aw, c'mon, brandonite, let by-gones be by-gones!
;) Anyway, I don't think this can fairly be categorized as a "mistake." A misperception, perhaps? :p

Originally posted by SMW:

Aw, c'mon, brandonite, let by-gones be by-gones!
;) Anyway, I don't think this can fairly be categorized as a "mistake." A misperception, perhaps? :p •••

Well, OK. I'll forgive you. :p

Maybe I can bury this grudge right here and now. :D

Originally posted by jargon124
Ok, so i get home from a boring day of class only to find a nice thin envelope in my mailbox from Cornell (rejection without interview). As this was my first rejection, and I had no acceptances, I was pissed and worried. So I get into my apartment to check my email, and next thing I know I got into NYU! For those interested, I interviewed 12/15. Needless to say, it took away the pain of the rejection. What a feeling! :clap:

I need some advice though. I am scheduled for interviews at UMaryland and Georgetown for this coming Monday and Tuesday. Now, NYU is definitely preferable to these schools as far as I'm concerned. I can find no reason to go to the interviews and deal with all the trouble of flying and everything. Do you all think it would be too rude to call these schools and cancel my appointments? I know its not much notice, but I really don't want to make this trip. I know some of you have been in similiar situations - any advice? I have a Pitt interview scheduled for next Friday that I am gonna keep - as I've heard lots of great things about the school (don't know about Pittsburgh though). Thanks and good luck all! Hang in there August MCATers, those acceptances are coming!!! :D

It's not bad to cancel. I called the day before an interview to tell them I wasn't coming, and they were thanking me for letting them know.