What AAMC test(s) should i buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peds14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen people post on here that they have take AAMC test #3 and #10 for example. Are these tests all the same, just different questions, or do some tests focus on different content within test itself. I just dont want to buy a bunch and come to realize it focuses more on one subject than the other.

Members don't see this ad.

#s 7-10

Forget about the earlier ones. They were far too easy compared to the real thing. Even 7-10 were vastly easier than the real MCAT. People who have bought and taken the BR practice exams have been saying they were much more realistic to the real MCAT that was administered in Jan. I'd say buy 7-10 only, and buy all the BRs that you can.

Awesome, thanks... if you dont mind me asking, did you take the MCAT already? and if you did, how was it and what were your scores?

Awesome, thanks... if you dont mind me asking, did you take the MCAT already? and if you did, how was it and what were your scores?

Just took the Jan 29 one. Won't know for another month. Yeah it was hard. Harder than all the practice exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd buy all of em to be honest. You should take about 10 FLs and the majority might as well be AAMC tests.

I bought all of them except for 6 (I heard it was easy and I didn't have time to take it). The practice of taking them and getting used to the MCAT language was invaluable and I'd STRONGLY recommend you buy most of them. I thought they represented the MCAT very well.

Ideally: buy all of them as well as the Official Guide to the MCAT (AAMC book published in 2009; also contains real past MCAT material). If you have sufficient time to review, then it will be your most cost effective MCAT prep purchase.

Most will agree with novawildcat that 7-10 are the best of the bunch but as long as you have that context in mind, you can extract alot of strategy, approach and teaching points from the earlier tests as well. And frankly, you will likely start to recognize patterns.

I have a quick question about the AAMC exams; when the raw score is converted to scaled scores the charts have different ranges (example: Test 3 PS: 76-77 = 15, Test 4 PS: 52 = 15). I was planning on printing out the fl exams and taking them on paper, will I be able to figure out the raw scores (my kaplan course expires a month before I actually take the MCAT), or is each question valued differently?

Last edited:
I say buy all of them, I feel they prepared me as well as anything else would have for the real deal.

From what Ive heard the other companies make the tests hard by either

a) having alot of longish calculations and conversions

b) testing novelty trivia knowledge

The MCAT is hard, but it doesn't do either of these things, so if the practice tests are hard for the wrong reasons, thats not helping you.

So yes the real MCAT is "harder", but getting good at doing long calculations is not going to help.

Of the AAMC 3-10 FL's, which two FL's were the easiest ones?

#3 and #6 ?

I found #6 to be tough because it has the most organic on it of any test if I remember right.

I wouldn't worry too much about which one is easier than the other, etc. They all are good practice.

I found #6 to be tough because it has the most organic on it of any test if I remember right.

I wouldn't worry too much about which one is easier than the other, etc. They all are good practice.

I'm asking this because I'm only going to take 13 FL's: all of TBR's exams and 6 of the 8 AAMC exams, so I only want to take the hard ones and I'm trying to figure out which ones are easy so I don't take them. I heard AAMC 3 is pretty old and easy so it looks like I'm not going to do that one. What's another one?

I'm asking this because I'm only going to take 13 FL's: all of TBR's exams and 6 of the 8 AAMC exams, so I only want to take the hard ones and I'm trying to figure out which ones are easy so I don't take them. I heard AAMC 3 is pretty old and easy so it looks like I'm not going to do that one. What's another one?

Probably doesnt really matter, I dont think you can really say whether one is that much easier than the other, it completly depends how familiar you are with the specific passages