What about Texas? Anyone (med students, residents) care to comment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Not sure which forum this belongs in, but I think geographic location is a "general residency issue." Anyway, to make a long story short, I've been living on the east coast for the past 15 years and don't really like it. Don't want to say where exactly I've lived, but currently it is too traditional and conservative. I'm trying to branch out to other locations during my residency process including the west coast, but I never considered Texas until now. I wonder if there is some truth to the stereotypes that Texans are uber friendly and in general love where they live?

In other words, I'd like to hear some positive things about Texas (and specifically Houston) before I apply to a bunch of programs there on a whim...
Hope this isn't a completely ridiculous request.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Where you live right now is too traditional and conservative...so you're thinking of moving to Texas? Unless you're going to move to Austin (or the place you're living on the East Coast now is Strom Thurmond's attic), you're not likely to find it more liberal or modern than where you are now.

Yes, people who are from Texas and live in Texas love Texas. Others? Maybe not so muchly.

That said, why not apply, see if you get some interviews and go see for yourself.

Where you live right now is too traditional and conservative...so you're thinking of moving to Texas? Unless you're going to move to Austin (or the place you're living on the East Coast now is Strom Thurmond's attic), you're not likely to find it more liberal or modern than where you are now.

Yes, people who are from Texas and live in Texas love Texas. Others? Maybe not so muchly.

That said, why not apply, see if you get some interviews and go see for yourself.

Houston is a great city, it is very modern, moderate politically, and has one of the strongest economies in the nation (due to its economy being based primarily on energy and health care... i.e., the things bankrupting the rest of the country). Also the food in Houston is GREAT--there really aren't many cities better for foodies than Houston. And the medical center is the largest in the world, and getting larger rapidly. Nobody else can say that.

I agree with the previous poster. I'm a native and always-Houstonian, but have done a lot of traveling around.

I think Californians are the "happiest," thanks to all the sun. Unfortunately, they have (depending on which part) both wildfires and earthquakes to compare with our hurricanes.

Yeah, Texas isn't exactly liberal in the traditional sense, but it is pretty friendly and happy-go-lucky. If you can stand our weather, Houston is a great place to live with a very reasonable cost of living and absolutely unbelievable medical opportunities...

guys guys guys

don't let the secret out! seriously, Texas is the place to be and I'm gunning for residency there. You know how it is increasingly impossible to gain competitive residencies in California, for some reason, I believe Texas will soon follow. What else can you ask: warm weather (yes its hot, but hey sure beats 6 feet of snow!), great suburbs, fantastic medical center, food, and austin is 2.2 hours away...that's right yall

ok. now keep this on the down low.

Yeah, I don't think Texas will be the answer to your problem. Texas is a pretty conservative state, even Austin (spent years there, so I know). If you like the weather to be hot most of the year, like to spend a lot of time in your car and want super cheap real estate, Texas might be for you. It's not a substitute for the West Coast.

I have never been to Texas. But after everything I've read and heard, it's my #1 location to start work after I'm done with my training. Texas is GREAT for so many reasons including: no winter, no state income tax, low malpractice, lower property cost and higher reimbursements for docs.

Based on my research, Austin > Dallas > Houston. But I'd probably be happy in all three.

IN FACT, I have a one week vacation coming up and will be spending 4 days in Austin! I want to finally experience Texas and build my case for moving down to good 'ol Texas.

Texas is a great place to live and work for a lot of the reasons listed above. The secret is out, Texas has 4 of the 5 fastest growing metro areas in the nation. California and Florida LOST a few hundred thousand each in population the last 5 years while Texas grew by almost 1 million people. The economy is solid and cost of living is cheap. Texas is much like other large states in terms of political leanings. The big cities are liberal while the rural areas are conservative. The huge influx of people into the state in recent years has changed it from the bedrock of conservatism it used to be. Obama only lost by 13 points and he hardly step foot in the state to campaign.

The huge influx of illegals into the state in recent years has changed it from the bedrock of conservatism it used to be.

The big cities are filled with fat people while the rural areas are also filled with fat people.

Fixed.

Wow. Harsh, no?

While I am trying to get back sooner or later because I do miss Texas (and the babysitters, er, grandparents it offers), I don't agree with Fah-Q about the political leanings of the cities. Yes, the big cities in Texas are more liberal than the rural areas of Texas, but everything still revolves around the Bible and the overall level of conservatism will be a shock to anyone coming from the northeast or the west coast.

I don't agree with Fah-Q about the political leanings of the cities. Yes, the big cities in Texas are more liberal than the rural areas of Texas, but everything still revolves around the Bible and the overall level of conservatism will be a shock to anyone coming from the northeast or the west coast.

Well don't take my word for it: http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/tx.htm

Sorry to shatter the stereotype people on this thread seem to have.

Well don't take my word for it: http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/tx.htm

Well, yeah, the large cities have a good number of people who vote for democrats, but I think they're still pretty conservative or at most moderate overall. They're definitely not liberal, and I felt like the average political viewpoint in Austin (again supposedly the "liberal" city in Texas) was notably more conservative than the average political viewpoint on the west coast.

Texas pros -- big cities with lots of diversity, low cost of living, good restaurants/culture in the big cities, good higher education opportunities. Wacky public school funding that results in some super great public schools in nice areas (along with horrible schools in the other areas). Lots of good residency programs. Houston has lots of trees. Austin has pretty lakes. Dallas, hmm ....

Cons -- sprawl. Cities are not devoted to public transit so it's very much a car culture. Conservative politics (albeit with some rural/urban differences). Lots of ugly (subjective, I know). Texans have a weird attitude about their state with their Texas shaped everything, which can get a little tiresome.

I'll put the weather in its own category because it depends on how you look at it. It's really freaking hot, and it stays hot for a good chunk of the year. Winters are very mild, and I wouldn't really says that there's much seasonal variation. I never noticed a really nice fall or spring period in Austin. If you hate cold weather and don't mind or even like hot weather, you'll like the weather in Texas. If being hot makes you miserable, then living in Texas will be kind of miserable for you.

Last edited:

Dude, I guarantee the people in Houston (50.5% from your link, if you want to define liberal vs conservative strictly based on how they voted) are more conservative than they are in Columbus (59%), despite their voting for Obama. The mindset of Joe Q. Public is completely different and has to be taken into account when interacting with patients (or your neighbors). I'm not saying it is bad, I'm just saying it is different.
If being hot makes you miserable, then living in Texas will be kind of miserable for you.
That's why they invented A/C...

Last edited:
TX has no state income tax, tort reform with medmal caps, the biggest med center in the world (Houston), higher physician reimbursement, good food, cheap real estate, decent weather and hot women.

As for the hot summer - I prefer weather that encourages the ladies to wear less clothing rather than the opposite.

tx has no state income tax, tort reform with medmal caps, the biggest med center in the world (houston), higher physician reimbursement, good food, cheap real estate, decent weather and hot women.

As for the hot summer - i prefer weather that encourages the ladies to wear less clothing rather than the opposite.

+1000