What advances am I entitled to before move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, if you have read any of my recent posts, you might already know the deal, but the shortest version is this:

I will be getting orders any day now that tell me I am to move my family and HHG to Ft. Gordon in a 60 window prior to 07JUL08. If you are doing the math, that 60 day window has already started. It is an "early entry" to active duty and "early report date" to my first duty station. Supposedly this means i can go active (promted to CPT) as soon as I have my orders and move probably sometime in mid-June.

When I get there, I am supposed to settle up, get inprocessed at Ft. Gordon, and then travel TDY to Ft. Sam on 04AUG for OBLC. (Internship starts when all the interns have finished OBLC and have returned to Ft. Gordon, in mid October).

Question- As it is the tail end of my 4th of grad school, I am broke. What advances am I entitled to BEFORE I depart for Ft. Gordon so I can actually make it there, pay the landlord our first last and security, etc? My understanding is that it is DLA + 80% estimated travel + up to 3 months base pay advance. Is this correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I think your promotion date will be the same as your graduation date. AFAIK, you don't get DLA for your first duty station.

http://wwwacsc.au.af.mil/Finance_PCS_Pay_Tips.doc

At a minimum you can get a months worth of pay advanced to you (they then take it back out of your next 12 months of pay checks, no interest).

You can get your DLA advanced as well, if you are entitled to it.

You can also get an advance on your travel pay, usually to the order of 75% of your travel costs, the travel office can arrange this for you. Obviously, they will just pay you less at the end of your travel when you submit your forms.

The link I posted above also suggests that you can get up to 3 months of BAH if you are moving off-post/base.

Not sure of what else you can get if anything. You will have to be proactive in getting any advances because, asides from the travel office, no one else will even offer these advances to you, even though you can get them.

I have never even bothered with them because deep down inside I knew that my pay would be screwed up for the next year or so if I ever took an advance. And, if you don't know already, getting a pay issue fixed is sometimes a very difficult task.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if you have read any of my recent posts, you might already know the deal, but the shortest version is this:

I will be getting orders any day now that tell me I am to move my family and HHG to Ft. Gordon in a 60 window prior to 07JUL08. If you are doing the math, that 60 day window has already started. It is an "early entry" to active duty and "early report date" to my first duty station. Supposedly this means i can go active (promted to CPT) as soon as I have my orders and move probably sometime in mid-June.

When I get there, I am supposed to settle up, get inprocessed at Ft. Gordon, and then travel TDY to Ft. Sam on 04AUG for OBLC. (Internship starts when all the interns have finished OBLC and have returned to Ft. Gordon, in mid October).

Question- As it is the tail end of my 4th of grad school, I am broke. What advances am I entitled to BEFORE I depart for Ft. Gordon so I can actually make it there, pay the landlord our first last and security, etc? My understanding is that it is DLA + 80% estimated travel + up to 3 months base pay advance. Is this correct?

Since you are coming onto active duty from the IRR, it is very difficult to get you any advances. The problem is that you don't have pay record established. Yes, I know you have been getting paid by HPSP, but it is not the same in the eyes of DFAS. So what needs to happen is you request it when you report.

The $25K new cadet loan which is available to new HPSP grads from USAA is a good way to tide you over. All you need is a Statement of Service from the Army HPSP office and you should get it fairly easily.

Since you are coming onto active duty from the IRR, it is very difficult to get you any advances. The problem is that you don't have pay record established. Yes, I know you have been getting paid by HPSP, but it is not the same in the eyes of DFAS. So what needs to happen is you request it when you report.

The $25K new cadet loan which is available to new HPSP grads from USAA is a good way to tide you over. All you need is a Statement of Service from the Army HPSP office and you should get it fairly easily.

I hope to all that is holy that there is a way around this. I have already applied for the USAA loan and did not qualify. I absolutely cannot move my family without an advance. We will run out of gas and money in about El Paso. Hopefully my prior service will offset some of what you are saying here. But if not, I don't know what to do.