what advantage does prestigous med schools give you?

rebith75

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
just curious, do you have a better shot at getting into residencies, is it purely better because you know your getting the educated by the best, thanks

OP
R

rebith75

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
basically why is columbia better than university of washington med school?

heech

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2004
Status
And let me ask a follow-up question... two residents coming through the same residency program but from very different schools, will they find their future job prospects (and/or compensation) affected substantially by where they attended medical school? Or is it primarily residency that matters?

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
like law2doc pointed out today, you are only as good as your last place, and no one cares about where you were before. If you attend HMS, people automatically assume you had a sucessful undergrad and that you must be geniously talented. If you attend "university-of-those-who-barely-made-it," people assume you didn't do too hot in undergrad.

twicetenturns

Davy Jones's Landlord
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Status
With everything else equal, (grades, boards, etc.) the prestigious school has a slight edge at getting you a prestigious residency. Particularly to one of that school's hospital's. i.e. MGH likes HMS students.

Prestigious schools are also generally better funded. So, if you want to do away rotations abroad, get an MPH, research the very cutting edge, or do other things of that nature, the prestigious school gets the nod.

Your alumni network at a prestigious school is well.. prestigious. Often this can help you land the job you want where you want it. But, if you go to a prestigious residency, you can get the same pedigree.

If you have medical/political aspirations, (head of dept., hospital pres., etc.) The pedigree helps.

In terms of compensation later in life, probably little difference whatsoever. The name means much more in academic medicine (grant appllications, university jobs) than in the private sector. That is of course assuming that your plan isn't to graduate from Med school and move straight on to McKinsey or something. (where name matters)

You can do anything you want from any school. The prestigious name just make a few types of things easier.

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
twicetenturns said:
With everything else equal, (grades, boards, etc.) the prestigious school has a slight edge at getting you a prestigious residency. Particularly to one of that school's hospital's. i.e. MGH likes HMS students.

Would attending a prestigious school in the midwest give you any advantage if you wanted to do your residency in the east or are you better off going to a less prestigious school in the east, doing well, and seeking an eastern residency :confused:

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
twicetenturns said:
This can be countered somewhat by sub-i's. They give you some of the face time away that gives the home team the advantage.

Sharkfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2004
Southeast USA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd say that many of the prestigous private schools will give you a bigger debt. Why not roll in scholarship $$ at a public/"lesser" (gasp) school?

To each his own, however...

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
rebith75 said:
basically why is columbia better than university of washington med school?
I think both those schools are equally prestigious in the eyes of residency directors, as are places such as UCSF and U Mich. Though they are not Ivy league, you will not at all be at a disadvantage attending these schools rather than Harvard or Yale.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
alot of people on sdn seem to overlook the fact that the students at prestigious med schools are there b.c they are good students and, on balance, intend to continue being top students; if you learn from the best and interact with the best, you are likely to be the best. So that is the biggest advantage i see; but look at match lists and you will see that students at 'non-prestigious' schools do very well too; good luck!

2tall

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Visit site
Status
a prestigous undergrad gets you a prestigous medschool gets you a prestigous residency gets you a prestigous fellowship, etc. Where does it end AND...

What would it mean to you? You will still impact your patients, your community, and healtcare, in general, if you graduate from a school that's not considered prestigous. A person can even do this without having to attend medical school!

Follow your bliss/heart/gut/instinct. Do you need external gratification, internal satisfaction, or a little of both/neither? Work hard wherever you decide you go. I always feel these questions have little to do about the schools...and more about the individual.

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
upper upper UPPER west side
Visit site
Status
Sharkfan said:
I'd say that many of the prestigous private schools will give you a bigger debt. Why not roll in scholarship $$ at a public/"lesser" (gasp) school?

To each his own, however...
Not true. Some private schools have better financial aid. It was cheaper for me to go to Columbia than UNC.

To answer the OP, at presitigious schools you can get letters of recommendation from your attendings on your third year rotation that are VERY highly reguarded in the field.

Surgeonizer

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
Status
The one key advantage of prestige=letters of recommendation from leaders in a particular field

letters of recommendation make a big difference in landing interviews for residency programs

KitEKatEli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
Status
SarahGM said:
Not true. Some private schools have better financial aid. It was cheaper for me to go to Columbia than UNC.
I don't want to be too nosy here, but why was that? Were you in-state for UNC? I'm weighing public vs. private, and the price tag for my state school is looking so much more attractive right now. I really want to minimize my debt.

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
rebith75 said:
just curious, do you have a better shot at getting into residencies, is it purely better because you know your getting the educated by the best, thanks
Forgive me for being silly here, but I aside from wowing your family, friends and any acquaintances, I think the major advantage of going to Harvard Med School would be THE HARVARD CLUB.
http://www.harvardclub.com/site/content/index.jsp

I walk by this place regularly and all I can do is drool.

Squash anyone?

muchlove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
NC
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Ok, I have to put my two cents in. We are all on this website because we want to attend medical school. Considering there will be over 12,000 people who apply this year and don't get in, I consider everyone who gets a spot to be prestigous. I have debated about this myself. I went to a "well-respected" aka prestigous undergrad and now I face the question, "Do I have to go to another Top 20 school for people to respect me?" The answer is no! Wherever we decide to go, you do you. You do your thing and the prestige will follow you . You want to be the representative of prestige and not just because you went to a big name school.

But as someone said earlier.....to each his own. Personally, I don't know where I'm going yet, but I'm going to be #1, regardless of my school's rank. :D

drguy22

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Attending Physician
muchlove said:
Ok, I have to put my two cents in. We are all on this website because we want to attend medical school. Considering there will be over 12,000 people who apply this year and don't get in, I consider everyone who gets a spot to be prestigous. I have debated about this myself. I went to a "well-respected" aka prestigous undergrad and now I face the question, "Do I have to go to another Top 20 school for people to respect me?" The answer is no! Wherever we decide to go, you do you. You do your thing and the prestige will follow you . You want to be the representative of prestige and not just because you went to a big name school.

But as someone said earlier.....to each his own. Personally, I don't know where I'm going yet, but I'm going to be #1, regardless of my school's rank. :D
:clap:

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Haybrant said:
alot of people on sdn seem to overlook the fact that the students at prestigious med schools are there b.c they are good students and, on balance, intend to continue being top students; if you learn from the best and interact with the best, you are likely to be the best. So that is the biggest advantage i see; but look at match lists and you will see that students at 'non-prestigious' schools do very well too; good luck!
Well, they probably continue to be the "best" compared to other schools if you look at things like board scores. But within each school, half of each class has to be in the bottom half. (i.e. someone has to be the worst of the best). I guess the question really should be, does the bottom of the class at a top ten school trump the top of the class at a below top ten school. I suspect not.
I agree with the prior poster, though, who indicated that the people at Harvard, Hopkins, etc. tend to get LORs from the more prestigious professors who teach there, and that reportedly tends to help in the residency hunt.

TravisP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2004
Status
WashU is usual number 1, so I think its better then any prestigous med school.

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
upper upper UPPER west side
Visit site
Status
KitEKatEli said:
I don't want to be too nosy here, but why was that? Were you in-state for UNC? I'm weighing public vs. private, and the price tag for my state school is looking so much more attractive right now. I really want to minimize my debt.
I was in-state for UNC. But then I got my fin aid package from Columbia, which has a huge endowment from loyal alumni -- and it was a much better deal! Sometimes private schools have more money with which to lessen the burden of your financial debt.

IDSpud23

fly fishing fool
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Status
I'm biased because I'm going to UWash next year but in my opinion you can't go wrong with either school. I feel UWash is a great deal for the money. I'm sure you can get an excellent financial aid packet at Columbia but it's still going to be more expensive than UWash if you're in state at UWash. Ultimately it's up to you. They're very different schools and empahsize different things. By the way you're not going to be at a disadvantage when you apply to residency programs from Washington. I don't know which school matches into more "prestigious" residencies but again there'll probably be more matching in primary care at Washington because that's what they emphasize.

Chonson

10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MWillie said:
Though they are not Ivy league, you will not at all be at a disadvantage attending these schools rather than Harvard or Yale.
I think Columbia is Ivy league.

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Chonson said:
I think Columbia is Ivy league.
I was refering to UCSF and U Mich. The OP is implying that U of Washington is less prestigious than Columbia, which perhaps it is if you ask the general public. But residency directors know that schools such as U Wash, UCSF, U Mich, Wash U are as good as and often superior to many Ivy league schools.

gsc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
California
Status
I get the impression that the prestige of medical schools matters a lot to most people here on SDN.

Outside of SDN, it really depends on your priorities. Do you intend to go into research/academics? Or would you rather go into private practice? Neurosurgery? Or primary care? Are you trying to impress others, or yourself? Are you willing to work harder to get into the more competitive schools? Is it worth it to you?