What advice would you give to new fellows?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaBulldog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an EM PGY-3 starting anesthesia CCM in July. I haven't worked with any fellows during my ICU months and feel like I don't have a good grasp of what their daily responsibilities are. Any advice you wish you'd known walking into fellowship would be greatly appreciated. I'm also curious how fellows/attendings stay organized and keep track of information from one day to the next. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your job as the fellow will vary depending on the culture at your program. In large part your responsibility will be as the de-facto leader of the team. You should have a plan and know the course of all your patients, while being aware of your consults, admissions and discharges. You don't necessarily need to know the potassium of the guy in bed 4, your resident should know that (which isn't to say there aren't times when you'll have to know it).

You need to have the larger view - where are things heading, what do you need to plan for, how can you ensure the team is running smoothly. For some people the transition from resident to fellow is difficult, but you need to let your residents learn and make decisions on their own so that they also learn. However, you need to be aware of the decisions they're making so that you can step in when they're getting off track. Your attending will do the same for you from afar.

So think of yourself as the manager. You're managing the patients, and you're managing your residents. Teach when you're able (it'll also help you learn). Generally when I come in I look at all the labs, imaging and I/O very quickly on my patients and then I do a quick lap. Also you'll get a sense of what each of your patients actually needs, and what is important. So maybe for bed 3 I'll pay close attention to his renal function, bed 4 I'll see what his FiO2/PEEP are and what are his vent pressures, bed 5 I'll see if her HgB is stable after her variceal bleed etc etc. Then when we round I listen to all the details from the resident, let them tell me their plan, and then I change the plan as I see fit/necessary.

I also talk to the patients and families, though usually I'll do it after rounds so that things move quickly - nobody likes long rounds, nobody. I hold all the family meetings, I do the vent management, I make the plan and ensure it's being followed. If my residents are getting guff from a consultant or the hospitalist then I will call them and see if we can get on the same page. There's a variety of reasons this happens, and often it's just a miscommunication. If I anticipate there is going to be a difficult consult (for whatever reason) I'll usually just call it myself to spare the resident the indignity.

The first day on service is hard because everyone is new to you. By the time you're a day or two in you'll be surprised at how much you remember and understand what's happening with your patients. Keeping track becomes easier. I used to round with a huge sign-out sheet. Now if it doesn't fit on 1 piece of paper I don't print it.

Lastly, for each patient try and approach it as though you were alone. "If I didn't have so-and-so here, what would my plan be?" This will help you identify weaknesses and then you must actively work to correct them. Have fun also, the ICU is a fascinating physiology lab and you have the potential or proclivity to do well by your patients or to harm them. Identify your deficits, actively correct them and have respect for the unknown. Also, don't forget that like the ED, this is commonplace to you. Your patient's families will not be as comfortable, always try to remember what the experience is like for them and it'll help explain their behavior. This will help reduce your burnout, of which you are certain to experience more than once. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Own the patients, take every procedure, read up on the pathology you see and watch it unfold in action.

The first half is usually about learning to troubleshoot, the second half is usually about learning to make bigger decisions and be a team leader.

And of course, do thy bidding of the attendings.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im an incoming anesthesia CCM fellow so this thread is helpful! Excited (nervous!) to get started! I find it daunting all the information/medical knowledge there is to learn (all in one year as well). And allowing myself to be a delegator whether it to be my residents or even the nurses. In anesthesia, I am so used to being on top of every detail of my one patient in the OR and also doing all the tasks.

Own the patients, take every procedure, read up on the pathology you see and watch it unfold in action.

The first half is usually about learning to troubleshoot, the second half is usually about learning to make bigger decisions and be a team leader.

And of course, do thy bidding of the attendings.
You need to learn how to trouble shoot from home also without going in to “fix it yourself.”

it’s very important skill to be able to guide someone through, focus them on what’s important without necessarily going in and just doing it yourself, unless you absolutely have to.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to learn how to trouble shoot from home also without going in to “fix it yourself.”

it’s very important skill to be able to guide someone through, focus them on what’s important without necessarily going in and just doing it yourself, unless you absolutely have to.
Ah well, that's different in the pediatric world as there is no home call (or at least it is very uncommon and increasingly rare). But I would imagine that is a challenge and a skill to learn in adults.