what after graduate from dental school ?!

Discussion in 'Dental' started by csudental, 09.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE

Thanks to QbankDMD
  1. csudental

csudental Banned Banned Account on Hold

Pre-Dental
    hi i'm actually a pre dental student i haven't apply or attend a dental school yet
    i have a question about how dental school works and what after graduate from dental school

i thought after finishing my four years at dental school i would choose any of the 50 states to get the residency test and make a test and then start being working as a dentist at this state, is that true or my grades in the dental school play a role in the game

Also does the dental school affect which state i want to live and work for example if i graduate from University of Pennsylvania dental school can i return again to CA and start working as a dentist or it will be difficult and better to attend a dental school in CA ?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jeenarohan

jeenarohan

Dental Student
    I love your thinking regards the post course work. It's really welcoming movement from your part. Select any rural areas, you can check here and do the treatments for the people living there.

4. bsp1013

bsp1013 2+ Year Member

Dentist
    Lol at that link

csudental likes this.
  5. Incis0r

Incis0r 2+ Year Member

Hey there, I'm pre-dental also, so if someone with more experience can help out/correct any errors in my answer, that would be great.

This is what I have gathered about the process so far:

1. How Dental School Works: 2 years basic sciences + 2 clinical years

2. After 4 years, you can take regional boards in order to get a license to practice in a state....BUT there are exceptions. I know that New York, for example, is now requiring all of its new dentists to have completed a 1 year residency (no boards).... and Connecticut says either 1 year residency OR boards.

3. As far as I know, Dental School does not determine where you can live or work as a dentist...You just need to take the associated regional boards.

Hope that helps!

6. csudental

csudental Banned Banned Account on Hold

Pre-Dental
    what about Florida, Texas and CA i'm planning to practice at one of those state
    and can you explain to me about the regional boards test ?
    thank you

7. dr. Lisa Parker

dr. Lisa Parker

Dental Student
    That's very helpful! Currently I'm living in Cali, and I am wondering if you know whether there's such exceptions here.
    I agree with the third point. You don't have to graduate from a New York dental school to work at NY....
    Thanks...

About the ads