What age = Certifiably Nutz for MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What age = Certifiably Nutz to start MD/PhD

• 22 yrs or Under

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 23-26 yrs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 27-30 yrs

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 31-35 yrs

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • 36-40 yrs

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 40 yrs and over

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is mostly just for fun, only slightly serious opinion poll.

At what age would you consider someone certifiably nutz to start an MD/PhD assuming it's something they are passionate about.

I'm posting this in the non-trad forum since it's an age related question and we have a better idea what we're capable of than the young pups might ;) Feel free to post your funny or serious rationale.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the silence = "none of the above"

You are posting in a non-trad forum, BTW. :)

You know, a forum who has a moderator (njbmd) who became a vascular surgeon (hardly a short track) after starting medical school well into her 40s.

I think the silence = "none of the above"

You are posting in a non-trad forum, BTW. :)

You know, a forum who has a moderator (njbmd) who became a vascular surgeon (hardly a short track) after starting medical school well into her 40s.

Lol. True true. I was going for humor mainly. It was a slow night at work. Although I am seriously considering this path and I'll be like 34. I had thoughts about posting it in the physician scientist forum but after reading other posts had a feeling it might go to the serious side waaaaaaaaaay to fast. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
34 + 8 years for education (to be on the safe side) + 7 years (in case you want to do one of the longer residencies) = 49.

If you want to retire at 65, 65 - 49 = 16 years. That's a good amount of time, and who's to say that you have to stop at 65? Retire when you want, and add some years to that 16.

The financial aspect shouldn't be too horrible since the PhD program funds the PhD portion, right (or is the whole medical education paid for from MD to PhD)? So you spend some time paying it back.

I think you'll be okay, so long as that's what you really want.

My mom told me about someone being 80 and graduating medical school.....I am not sure where thought. It was his lifelong dream.

I am just not answering the pole :) I don't think we're ever to old for our dreams.

Well I wouldn't say we're NEVER too old, but the poll definitely does not encompass that category with regards to MD/PHD.

yeah, my grandma just finally retired from her job a few years back at 83, still sharp as ever.

as for the poll, i'm not sure if there's a way to change add a last option that says "NEVER!!!" lol

I doubt I see myself just sitting around golfing at 65 :cool:

Some are bat**** crazy at 20. Others at 70. It's the crazy part that is relative. School/research is a job, and if you are willing to get out of bed and go to work, who cares how old you are, or for that matter, how crazy?

My roomies say I'm crazy then again I culture kefir in a glass measuring cupand culture yogurt. My mom and dad often tease me about it too. But they all told me it's okay because I was good crazy.....whatever that means.

No I don't think Ill be sitting around at 65 either. I hope I'm like my friend in Germany. He's still practicing medicine at 90. I have to be rally tired, or in mortal pain to do nothing at all. Luckily those two things are not that big a part of my life for the moment!

Andrea

I voted for 36-40. Anyone under age 30 is not at all nuts. Early 30s is borderline. Once you start reaching your mid to late 30s, you might want to reconsider. Seriously, who in their right mind would want to be a 40-odd-year-old grad student living in the lap of limbo? :hungover:

BTW, your last two categories overlap. Should the last one be 41+?