What age were you when you walked into your first med school class??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

informme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what age you were when you walked into your first medical school class...

I just realized that I'll be about 24 when I start my first med school class. I feel like I'm so late in the game, just would like to know how old other people were...

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what age you were when you walked into your first medical school class...

I just realized that I'll be about 24 when I start my first med school class. I feel like I'm so late in the game, just would like to know how old other people were...

I will also be 24, but I am not at all the oldest of my classmates.:thumbup:

I will be 22. Consider adding a poll to this thread so people can just click their age...

Members don't see this ad :)
22. the average age is around 24/26 right? there is a skew, of course

I was 25. I can name at least 5 of my classmates who are over 30 (and surely there are more that I'm not aware of), including a 39 year old.

No need to worry, I'll be 26.

i'll be 27 for about the first couple of months of school, then I turn 28 in November :hardy:
one of my interviewers this season called me a non-trad, so i'll take it that i am one.

ill be 22 as well. yay for straight in.

Members don't see this ad :)
27 for the first part of my first yr and then 28 at the end.

Will be 24 in August for M1; 25 shortly thereafter.

So... MD at 28, completed residency at 32, give or take. I guess that's not too bad.

Is the average age really 24/25??
haha, seems hard to believe considering everyone I know is getting in at 22/23ish
makes me sad, but it's encouraging to know I'm not alone

BTW, how do I add polls??

I know, I hear that a lot~
People tell me to prolong the "real world" for a while because it's miserable. Might not be what you meant thought, haha.

What kind of things did you do??

BTW, love the avatars, need to get my own
I really miss the old Adult Swim shows, they have some weird things on there now (like Super Jail and Metalocalypse)
Think I saw a Thom Yorke one up there to (Radiohead FTW)

ugh...i'm holding out to finish my music degree so i won't even be in (THEORETICALLY) until i'm 28!

Excellent! I start 4th year in two weeks at 47. It can be done!

So if you do an IM speciality, for instance, you'll be 50 out of residency and beginning your career. That's a bit too late for me but congratulations to you! If you did MD/PhD + Neurosurgery Residency, that would make you 47+4+7= 58. If you did MD+ Neurosurgery, you'd be 47+7= 54.

I am 24, took two years off to teach. I think that is a pretty common age considering some people take a year or two off (voluntarily or b/c they didn't get in the first round)...

I wondered about the age thing too, I recently turned 25.

I am pretty immature for my age though.

I'll be 21 for my first med school class, 25 when I graduate, and 28 when I finish my residency.

I will be 26 when I start and 2 months into MS1 I will turn 27

I was 29 (did other stuff first before starting med school), but there are a couple of folks older than me in my year.

I envy those of you who are in their early 20s...I wish I still had the energy I had at that age, I'm gonna need it in residency LOL

i was wondering what age you were when you walked into your first medical school class...

I just realized that i'll be about 24 when i start my first med school class. I feel like i'm so late in the game, just would like to know how old other people were...

:thumbup: Good for you, I hope to matriculate for the class of 2015 and I'll be 46.

I'm starting this year at 46. I think these twentysomethings need to stop fretting about how "old" they are. :)

I will turn 24 two weeks before class starts. Did a 6 year Pharm.D program and graduated in May.

rx515....what made you decide to go from a pharmD to med school? Dont you feel like you did sooo much extra work?