What am I doing wrong here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really starting to lose it here, trying to decide whether it's worth the psychological effort to even try applying again if need be. If anyone has any advice it would be awesome.

So I have GPAs around 3.6 for both general and science, and 37M in the MCAT. I'm in my second application cycle this year, had 5 interviews, 3 rejections (including my state school) and am currently on 2 hold/wait lists.

I've been out of college for a few years, and I decided pretty late to go into medical school, which accounts for what I guess is a disparity between my MCAT and GPA, but there's not a lot I can do about that at this point. In the meantime I have worked 2 years full time as an aide at a nursing home, which is some of the most lowly and depressing work that I can imagine, but I would think it showed a lot more dedication than volunteering because the work is so much worse. I have been volunteering 4 hrs/wk at the local science museum for 2 years now, and did about 70 hrs total volunteering in emergency department research with probably 20-30 hrs of shadowing a primary care physician.

Of course, there's still a chance that I'll get in off a waitlist this year, but I don't know what else I can do if I were to apply again. I'm currently taking biochem, but have since quit at the nursing home. I'd finally had it. I'm thinking more volunteering and shadowing, and perhaps I should talk to someone in the admissions department of the local school in town...

Rambling a bit, maybe, but thanks for hearing me out.

Members don't see this ad.

You should call and ask the schools why they weren't showing you any love. Was it your interviewing skills or lack thereof or could it have been your PS? Knowing things like that would really help in your situation because your GPAs are decent and your MCAT is pretty damn good.

I'm really starting to lose it here, trying to decide whether it's worth the psychological effort to even try applying again if need be. If anyone has any advice it would be awesome.

So I have GPAs around 3.6 for both general and science, and 37M in the MCAT. I'm in my second application cycle this year, had 5 interviews, 3 rejections (including my state school) and am currently on 2 hold/wait lists.

I've been out of college for a few years, and I decided pretty late to go into medical school, which accounts for what I guess is a disparity between my MCAT and GPA, but there's not a lot I can do about that at this point. In the meantime I have worked 2 years full time as an aide at a nursing home, which is some of the most lowly and depressing work that I can imagine, but I would think it showed a lot more dedication than volunteering because the work is so much worse. I have been volunteering 4 hrs/wk at the local science museum for 2 years now, and did about 70 hrs total volunteering in emergency department research with probably 20-30 hrs of shadowing a primary care physician.

Of course, there's still a chance that I'll get in off a waitlist this year, but I don't know what else I can do if I were to apply again. I'm currently taking biochem, but have since quit at the nursing home. I'd finally had it. I'm thinking more volunteering and shadowing, and perhaps I should talk to someone in the admissions department of the local school in town...

Rambling a bit, maybe, but thanks for hearing me out.

It's hard to say what you need to do. I recommend following the advice posted here and be the best applicant you can be.

YOur basic stats seem quite good. Your EC activities are on the weak side. The science museum is not helpful, you would be much better off with real community service or more medical volunteering. The nursing home work is fine. You should try to get more shadowing. I would contact the schools to see if they will tell you what the problems were. It is possible your interviewing skills or your PS are weak. How many schools and which schools did you apply? Have you considered DO option?