What am I doing wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so a bit new on here but I have applied to medical schools for this cycle but have received no real responses yet. Got secondaries from all and only one rejection from USC.

My stats:
MCAT 510 (taken once)
GPA 3.57 c/s (from top 20 school)
Over 1000 hours of research at prestigious places
Over 500 hours of clinical and general volunteering
100 hours of shadowing

I applied to 30 low-mid tier schools and have heard nothing. I ask in fear of rejection later on, what am I doing wrong? Not URM, nothing like that

Members don't see this ad.

With a LizzyM of ~67 it's too early to be freaking out! Schools often sort applicants by something other than date of completion when they review. Even if you've been complete for months you are likely just not up for II decisions yet at a lot of places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait until thanksgiving. If you don't have a single interview by then, you should begin worrying. So yeah, only 2 more months until you should start worrying.
What is there for a banana to do with all this free time? Suggestions from a Genetically Enhanced Herb:
-Take up a hobby (I hear fruit salads are pretty rad)
-Photosynthesize
-Fixate carbon via Photosynthesis to increase your deliciousness
-Increase your potassium levels (especially if you're gonna be a surgeon!)
-Overthrow Capitalism
-Research ways to prevent bananas from going agriculturally extinct
-Stop Global Warming
-Melt the ice-caps, flooding the world and creating a race of dolphin-human hybrids
-Take naps (you won't get many in medical school)
-Train your dog to only pee in your neighbors yard

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for responding guys...and I don't mean to sound narcissistic but how does someone like me not get an interview? Am I just too average on paper?

Thanks for responding guys...and I don't mean to sound narcissistic but how does someone like me not get an interview? Am I just too average on paper?
Your stats are middle of the road for a successful applicant. They likely won't hurt you, but they aren't going to get you really noticed anywhere early on. The schools are currently interviewing the "top" applicants. The rockstars with 4.0's & 520s. They'll get to us mere mortals a little later in the fall. Plus, as far as I can tell this cycle is moving much slower than other cycles have in the past. September has been a slow month for everyone. Just relax, your stats are good. We're all gonna make it.

Reactions: 1 user
You haven't not gotten interviews! You just haven't heard back one way or the other yet. With a 3.6/31 you just gotta be patient and don't freak out!
H
o
o
r
ay for double-negatives

Smoke a J bro. Trust me, you'll realize you did nothing wrong.

Let's see your list.
State of residence?

Your essays may be problematic, or you have a bad LOR. Any IAs that you're not telling us about?

Hey so a bit new on here but I have applied to medical schools for this cycle but have received no real responses yet. Got secondaries from all and only one rejection from USC.

My stats:
MCAT 510 (taken once)
GPA 3.57 c/s (from top 20 school)
Over 1000 hours of research at prestigious places
Over 500 hours of clinical and general volunteering
100 hours of shadowing

I applied to 30 low-mid tier schools and have heard nothing. I ask in fear of rejection later on, what am I doing wrong? Not URM, nothing like that

Reapplicant, yes. Added more research hours, clinical volunteering hours, improved GPA by a bit (last year was 3.5) and broadened my school list this time around.

And I am from Missouri so not too many options for in-state there