what am i doing wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fobdout

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. been a longtime lurker here and i need some advice on CK.

I'm using FA and UW right now averaging 56 with 60% completed. Anyway I was planning on taking the exam next week before the delay in getting our scores back but I just took NBME 2 last night and failed it. This is the first one I've taken and I wasn't even planning on taking one before the test until my GF basically forced me to. anyway, i'll be delaying my exam til probably the end of August. The really sucky part is that I start a 4 week surgery subI on August 16 and i know i wont get any studying during that time.

I've been studying for the past 3 weeks and i'm not really sure what i'm doing wrong. I'm doing world by subject on tutor mode, 30 question blocks and highlighting on the screen what i think is important for that particular question. maybe i should be writing the explanations down to make it stick better? I also noticed that the scenarios for NBME seemed alot more vague than World but I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone. been a longtime lurker here and i need some advice on CK.

I'm using FA and UW right now averaging 56 with 60% completed. Anyway I was planning on taking the exam next week before the delay in getting our scores back but I just took NBME 2 last night and failed it. This is the first one I've taken and I wasn't even planning on taking one before the test until my GF basically forced me to. anyway, i'll be delaying my exam til probably the end of August. The really sucky part is that I start a 4 week surgery subI on August 16 and i know i wont get any studying during that time.

I've been studying for the past 3 weeks and i'm not really sure what i'm doing wrong. I'm doing world by subject on tutor mode, 30 question blocks and highlighting on the screen what i think is important for that particular question. maybe i should be writing the explanations down to make it stick better? I also noticed that the scenarios for NBME seemed alot more vague than World but I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Any suggestions?

I think First aid is a bad resource for step 2, but thats just my opinion. i used step 2 secrets and step up to step 2. if you dont think youll be able to study when surgery starts, then whats the point in delaying it? youll start losing whatever information you have now when youre busy in surgery for two weeks. how many days exactly do you have until your exam? i would recommend step 2 secrets and if you have >7 days step up to step 2. questions are great, uworld is key but it seems youre either not retaining the info youre learning from uworld or you have a lack of base knowledge?
Crush is a quick read though its pretty superficial. Dont get fooled by the smaller siz of step up to step 2, its a dense effing book and wonderfully organized, i thought. good luck to you.

I think First aid is a bad resource for step 2, but thats just my opinion. i used step 2 secrets and step up to step 2. if you dont think youll be able to study when surgery starts, then whats the point in delaying it? youll start losing whatever information you have now when youre busy in surgery for two weeks. how many days exactly do you have until your exam? i would recommend step 2 secrets and if you have >7 days step up to step 2. questions are great, uworld is key but it seems youre either not retaining the info youre learning from uworld or you have a lack of base knowledge?
Crush is a quick read though its pretty superficial. Dont get fooled by the smaller siz of step up to step 2, its a dense effing book and wonderfully organized, i thought. good luck to you.

i think it might be both. our school doesnt have shelves so that might be the problem. I did read over Step Up to Medicine, Blueprints Ob, Kaplan Psych. Haven't done peds yet but I'm trying to go over Casefiles. In terms of World questions, after reading over the explanations, is the info stuck into your brain and you remember it forever?