What am I doing wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun1nth3sun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am a premed at a University, it is my first semester here as I just transferred from a community college. I am in need of some help on how to study effectively for higher level Science courses.

The current science courses I am taking now:
Genetics
Organic Chemistry 1
Physics 1
Microbiology

I have never really learned how to effectively study for science courses. What are some good study habits to use before and after lecture and while studying?
I have realized that I am continuing to receive low test grades after I study, meaning I am obviously doing something wrong and I am really mad about that. I am willing to whatever it takes.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty heavy load. Try dropping Micro and genetics and do them next year.

1) go to class
2) study with friends
3) do the homework
4) do as many practice questions as possible
5) start with the big picture and work your way downwards.
6) go to your college's learning specials/center and get thier advice.
7) go chat with your professors.

Hello everyone

I am a premed at a University, it is my first semester here as I just transferred from a community college. I am in need of some help on how to study effectively for higher level Science courses.

The current science courses I am taking now:
Genetics
Organic Chemistry 1
Physics 1
Microbiology

I have never really learned how to effectively study for science courses. What are some good study habits to use before and after lecture and while studying?
I have realized that I am continuing to receive low test grades after I study, meaning I am obviously doing something wrong and I am really mad about that. I am willing to whatever it takes.

Pretty heavy load.
My general rule of thumb is no more than three 4 credit science classes per semester (most semesters I take only two). Fill the rest of your schedule with 3 credit prereqs.

I also use www.studyblue.com for online flash cards. They aren't as effective as making your own flash cards on paper however.

Drop genetics or Orgo 1 from this semester. Obviously, you'll need to do all your assigned work, but you also need to be sure that you do as much of it on your own, only then approach your teachers for help. This escapes many students and sets them up for failure later with the harder classes and jeopardizes their chance of a strong LOR from those teachers. If your school offers any sort of free/low-cost tutoring, start that early to get a strategy for how to approach the material from someone that has been in your spot and has been successful. Pick up an MCAT practice book and begin going through the subjects now at a pace that works for you and keep to that pace for the rest of your UG.