eleanor_rigby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I thought people were just joking around with me, but apparently this question pops up from time to time at interviews. Is this supposed to give some sort of psychological insight as to the interviewee's personality or to test how quick you can think on your feet and give a good answer to a throw-off question?

LTPharmD

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
KS
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
That question reminds me of Dane Cook's Comedy Central Stand up comedy special. He does a hilarious bit about him wanting to be a snake. It would be difficult for me to think up a serious answer to that question with that running through my head.

About the Ads

pharmk011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I think it's just to see how you respond when a question that you don't really expect is thrown at you.. like, are you able to come up with something or do you completely stumble over it? I've heard of people being asked what kind of tree they'd like to be and why, what utensil (fork, spoon, etc...) they'd like to be and why, or if they could be anything in the fridge what would they be? I don't think it's any insight to your personality.. just to see how you do under pressure.

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
A flying lion.. so i could be king of the skies!

I would say polarbear but I've lived in CA my whole life, I'd probably die from the cold.

senzabee

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Gosh, this reminds me of the UCSD interview question (not exactly, but sort of like this). It definitely is a possible question, weirdly enough...

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What about crouching tiger? and maybe flying dagger for utensils

I would say a spork.. one of those spoons with ridges on the end because I think I am a well-rounded individual who can handle a variety of situations. Soup with noodles? No problem!

But then again I've only seen plastic sporks so maybe they might think I'm cheap and disposable? :scared:

:laugh:

Julianne

War Eagle!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I think it's just to see how you respond when a question that you don't really expect is thrown at you.. like, are you able to come up with something or do you completely stumble over it? I've heard of people being asked what kind of tree they'd like to be and why, what utensil (fork, spoon, etc...) they'd like to be and why, or if they could be anything in the fridge what would they be? I don't think it's any insight to your personality.. just to see how you do under pressure.

Don't forget "what kind of fruit and why?" - silly but possible :p

pharmhopeful

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Gosh, this reminds me of the UCSD interview question (not exactly, but sort of like this). It definitely is a possible question, weirdly enough...

That WAS my UCSD essay topic! And I totally choked! The problem is normally people don't ask you for an explanation, so I always just say flamingo. But the thing is, I only know that flamingos have jacked up knees and are pink because they eat shrimp. That is not a good reason! I said something else and ended up answering why I felt I was like the animal instead of why I would want to be that animal. I will forever shudder now whenever anyone asks me that question.

chibipinkbunny

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
That was kind of like my UCSD question too. Lol, my first instinct was to say unicorn but I couldn't think of a good reason, except for the fact that they're super cool :) So I ended up writing about how I wanted to be a dog cause right before my interview my dad told me to be happy like a dog. No one hates a dog ;) I think my reasons were that a dog gets to help people, they aren't bogged down by human regrets, and they're man's best friend. (Who wouldn't want to have the reputation of being everyone's friend.) I thought this question was inherently flawed though because to prove that you want to be an animal you must give reasons that being a dog would be better than being human. Lol, I didn't want them to think that I hated life or anything like that. That was a difficult balance, to prove that I wanted to be a dog only if I couldn't be human because I like being a human too. Oh well whatever.

pharmhopeful

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
That was kind of like my UCSD question too. Lol, my first instinct was to say unicorn but I couldn't think of a good reason, except for the fact that they're super cool :) So I ended up writing about how I wanted to be a dog cause right before my interview my dad told me to be happy like a dog. No one hates a dog ;) I think my reasons were that a dog gets to help people, they aren't bogged down by human regrets, and they're man's best friend. (Who wouldn't want to have the reputation of being everyone's friend.) I thought this question was inherently flawed though because to prove that you want to be an animal you must give reasons that being a dog would be better than being human. Lol, I didn't want them to think that I hated life or anything like that. That was a difficult balance, to prove that I wanted to be a dog only if I couldn't be human because I like being a human too. Oh well whatever.

So were you in the morning Jan 29th interview? I felt like my interview went better than all of my other interviews, but that my essay could have been written by a dog (I also said dog) and sounded better than what I wrote. Such a horrible feeling! I think I was too distracted by all of the other people talking in the room while I was trying to write my essay. Oh well. I guess what happens happens. Can't change it now. I like your answer, though :)

bsmspharmd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
If you asked my step mom, she'd tell you that I'd make a good mule, because in her words, "Your daddy's a stallion, and yo momma's an ass."

I didn't have the gonnies to correct her--I mean, technically that'd make me a hinny.

chibipinkbunny

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Oh, I interviewed for UCSD in the afternoon on 2/10. You interviewed in the morning? I got there really early though and sat in the the host student room before my interview. The students were really nice ^_^ It was my first interview so. . . yeah ^_^' Among other things in the interview I told them that when I was in high school I liked to read the Merk Manual for fun; random pages I said. Lol, I was telling the truth, but I was taken aback when he started asking me if I remembered any of the diseases from it. I listed off a few and then started talking about a new disease I heard about the other day called fatal familial insomnia. Then the faculty interviewer agreed that it was sad that prion diseases don't have a cure. Lol, in retrospect it all sounds kind of funny :p

Cju101

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I'd want to be a Liger A mix between a Lion and a Tiger....It's pretty much my favorite animal...breed for magical skills and powers

This joke can only be understood by those who have watched Napoleain Dynamite

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
A Costa Rican Macaw. They hang at the beach all day with their mate, sleep in the cloud soaked rainforest by night, and can fly where ever they want.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.