SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What are all the combined residencies? Peds-Psy, etc.

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by quentintarrantino, Feb 18, 2002.

1. quentintarrantino

quentintarrantino Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Excuse this soon to be MS1's question on the Rotations & Residencies, but what are the combined residency tracks, like i think you can do Psy-Peds in a combined residency, what are the others and are there any in the works for the future?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending 10+ Year Member

Feb 10, 2002
    USA
    There are a few: med-peds, peds-EM, IM-EM. They're generally a year (or two?) longer than either of the two residencies in the combined track.

I understand the philosophy of combining two programs, but I don't understand the practicality of combining them. I can't believe that someone doing 4 years of med-peds knows as much adult medicine as someone doing 3 years of IM or knows as much pediatrics as someone doing 3 years of peds.

Are you interested in doing a combined track so you can sit for two separate boards? Are you intersted in a combined track to expand your fellowship opportunities? Are you interested in a combined track to expand the scope of your practice? They sound like good ideas, but I hear that unless these people are fellowship-bound, they're experience isn't very deep and often times lack some of the respect they deserve.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by quentintarrantino:
    <strong>Excuse this soon to be MS1's question on the Rotations & Residencies, but what are the combined residency tracks, like i think you can do Psy-Peds in a combined residency, what are the others and are there any in the works for the future?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

4. coop

coop Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2001
    <a href="http://www.ama-assn.org:/vapp/freida/srch/1,2667,Y,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.ama-assn.org:/vapp/freida/srch/1,2667,Y,00.html</a>

this site lists all the residencys possible. Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child and Adolescent Psychiatry is a combined 5 year program. You can see it on the FREIDA website, however there are only 10 programs that offer this combo.