1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What are all the combined residencies? Peds-Psy, etc.

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by quentintarrantino, Feb 18, 2002.

1. quentintarrantino

quentintarrantino Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Excuse this soon to be MS1's question on the Rotations & Residencies, but what are the combined residency tracks, like i think you can do Psy-Peds in a combined residency, what are the others and are there any in the works for the future?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are a few: med-peds, peds-EM, IM-EM. They're generally a year (or two?) longer than either of the two residencies in the combined track.

I understand the philosophy of combining two programs, but I don't understand the practicality of combining them. I can't believe that someone doing 4 years of med-peds knows as much adult medicine as someone doing 3 years of IM or knows as much pediatrics as someone doing 3 years of peds.

Are you interested in doing a combined track so you can sit for two separate boards? Are you intersted in a combined track to expand your fellowship opportunities? Are you interested in a combined track to expand the scope of your practice? They sound like good ideas, but I hear that unless these people are fellowship-bound, they're experience isn't very deep and often times lack some of the respect they deserve.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by quentintarrantino:
    <strong>Excuse this soon to be MS1's question on the Rotations & Residencies, but what are the combined residency tracks, like i think you can do Psy-Peds in a combined residency, what are the others and are there any in the works for the future?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

4. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

<a href="http://www.ama-assn.org:/vapp/freida/srch/1,2667,Y,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.ama-assn.org:/vapp/freida/srch/1,2667,Y,00.html</a>

this site lists all the residencys possible. Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child and Adolescent Psychiatry is a combined 5 year program. You can see it on the FREIDA website, however there are only 10 programs that offer this combo.