What are all the MS1's doing this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cups123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to decide what I want to do - most probably doing research for like 10 weeks of the summer in a lab at my undergrad university. What is everyone else doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a makeup exam for the recent block I failed (by 1%) and then taking the comprehensive year exam that i cannot take before I pass that block exam. Also hopefully doing research.:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Golf. Research too to pay the bills. Relax with the missus. Do what you want to do. Even though I'll be doing some research (which I do enjoy), I'm very much hoping to live a much slower-paced life, maybe for the last time ever.

Golf. Research too to pay the bills. Relax with the missus. Do what you want to do. Even though I'll be doing some research (which I do enjoy), I'm very much hoping to live a much slower-paced life, maybe for the last time ever.

you forgot about 4th year (unless you get the wifey pregnant between now and then).

Last edited:
Orthodoc, Glad to see you got into MSU CHM. Congrats man!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still trying to decide what I want to do - most probably doing research for like 10 weeks of the summer in a lab at my undergrad university. What is everyone else doing?

Hopefully I'm doing research at the local county trauma center for most of the summer (paid so i can make rent haha), two weeks of vacation to visit the family and maybe to do a little traveling, and hopefully going on some cool weekend camping/road trips. Basically trying to take it easy and get a little addition to the resume :)

You're not doing ortho research. I am! Oh wait, we're not on pre-allo boards anymore. ha ha! I too am doing ortho research. "The Effects of Age On Spinal Fusion: A rabbit model" It should be pretty fun. I am stoked! Plus, I'll more than likely do some wakeboarding, golfing, scrub in on a few cases (retractor holding), and well do some more wakeboarding. Anything is better than Biochem, Micro, Genetics, blah blah blah!!

Haha.. too bad I didn't really play on SDN much until AFTER being accepted (no pre-allo posts for me prior to entering med school). Anyways, we're working on a rat model and seeing the effects of a drug on bone healing. I should be able to do some animal surgeries and hopefully some shadoinwg/scrubbing. Aside from that, chillin with other M1s in madtown!

I'm gonna spend some time going back over courses from 1st year. It is amazing how fast we can forget the details of everything we worked so hard to learn for the exams.

I'm gonna spend some time going back over courses from 1st year. It is amazing how fast we can forget the details of everything we worked so hard to learn for the exams.

Let me just say that it's probably not worth wasting any time reviewing first year stuff. Most of what you learned won't even be important (on boards, year 2, etc) and you'll be better off spending that time going on a hike, taking a trip, or otherwise enjoying your summer.

9-ish weeks of neuro/stroke research. We've got a top-notch stroke center here in Houston, and it's interesting stuff, so I don't want to miss this opportunity. Plus it pays fairly well, and I should make some great connections.

cancer research (clinical yay!), hanging out with my classmates seeing as about 80% of us will be participating in my school's research option, checking out the city, and just vegging out. but summer is so far off.....we are on quarters so it's not til mid june.

Radiology Research at Wash U. Should be a good time. Good luck to everyone else with their summer plans.

Try to burn off the 10 pounds I've somehow accumulated this year. God, the freshman 15 was get rid of at 19...

Truth be told, it's probably closer to 15 lbs....

Let me just say that it's probably not worth wasting any time reviewing first year stuff. Most of what you learned won't even be important (on boards, year 2, etc) and you'll be better off spending that time going on a hike, taking a trip, or otherwise enjoying your summer.

I am sure that you are right. Somehow I still feel so frustrated by things fading away like that. I'll probably get into my summer with the intention of reviewing, but then get distracted by a road trip, playing guitar, or some other leisure.

Hopefully doing absolutely nothing other than volunteering at the local clinic doing histories/workups on patients for practice and good-will, and taking a well-deserved vacation before the real work begins in 2nd year and beyond. I'll probably end up doing some kind of paid thing, or *gasp* research if I must to earn money, not because I want to do it. It'll all depend on what I get back on my taxes and what I can scrounge up by the time summer rolls around.

Externship at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago :D