what are best prep books if you already know material well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was curious what would be the best test prep books if you knew the material really well when you took the classes, but your just looking to remind yourself of the key formulas/facts?

Id like one that is pretty heavy on practice questions/explanations.

I don't want to buy one that is essentially like buying an undergrad textbook in that subject area.

Members don't see this ad.

was curious what would be the best test prep books if you knew the material really well when you took the classes, but your just looking to remind yourself of the key formulas/facts?

Id like one that is pretty heavy on practice questions/explanations.

I don't want to buy one that is essentially like buying an undergrad textbook in that subject area.

ek tbr tpr

Members don't see this ad :)
well if you just want practice u can try EK 101 verbal passages, EK 1001 series and AAMC tests

Sorry, Ill be more specific.

I) I want to buy a set of review books

II) I feel I had a good handle on material when I took classes so I don'y want to be reading what amounts to a chapters from a undergrad textbook.

III) I want to hit key equations / key concepts, but don't need all the background info.

IV) Im considering ExamKrackers, Princteon Review, Berkeley Review. But I would like to only buy from one brand if posible.

Sorry, Ill be more specific.

I) I want to buy a set of review books

II) I feel I had a good handle on material when I took classes so I don'y want to be reading what amounts to a chapters from a undergrad textbook.

III) I want to hit key equations / key concepts, but don't need all the background info.

IV) Im considering ExamKrackers, Princteon Review, Berkeley Review. But I would like to only buy from one brand if posible.

Then, in my opinion I would go with EK... You should get others` opinions too

Then, in my opinion I would go with EK... You should get others` opinions too

EK is what I figured from reading the descriptions, so unless someone comes in here saying otherwise ill probably order the complete MCAT set in a day or two here.

I'd also recommend EK. They give decent overviews of everything you should know, and they're generally good at pinpointing specific topics that seem to be MCAT favorites.

If you only want to buy from one company, I'd get Berkeley Review. It has detailed explanations if you need them and is solid in all topics. However, the most important reason behind this choice is that BR offers plenty of practice passages with their books. Conversely, the largest weakness of going solely EK is that you won't get enough passages. Sure, EK's content review is closer to what you think you want, yet the lack of passages will hurt you. The key to the MCAT is taking tons of timed practice passages.

If you only want to buy from one company, I'd get Berkeley Review. It has detailed explanations if you need them and is solid in all topics. However, the most important reason behind this choice is that BR offers plenty of practice passages with their books. Conversely, the largest weakness of going solely EK is that you won't get enough passages. Sure, EK's content review is closer to what you think you want, yet the lack of passages will hurt you. The key to the MCAT is taking tons of timed practice passages.

Yes I agree. So instead of sticking to one company, you might want to separate the subjects from different companies such as:
EK - Biology 1001 questions
BR - Physics, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry
EK - Verbal 101 passages
TPR - Hyperlearning science and verbal workbooks

Thanks for advice, little late for me b/c I just ordered the EK books, but I will tell my friend to order the Berkeley books and then we can share them.

Which company's "full" practice tests are considered the best? I guess I could just buy a few more of those if I feel like im not getting enough practice.