What are Considered the Best Medical Schools in the Southeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fetus22

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which medical schools are considered the best in the Southeast?

Members don't see this ad.

The one that you get accepted to.

Depends on what you want to do?

Primary care?
Research?
Academics?
Cutting edge?
Which specialty you want to shoot to attain...

Members don't see this ad :)
Alabama for research

i consider anything below the mason-dixon line to be south.

So i would say Hopkins.

zachdhudson said:

I'm sure Emory is a fine school, but I am pretty sure they price gouge on tuition. Plus cost of living is too high in Atlanta for me.
When I asked what are the best medical schools in the south, affordability was one of the things that I was thinking about.

Fetus22 said:
I'm sure Emory is a fine school, but I am pretty sure they price gouge on tuition. Plus cost of living is too high in Atlanta for me.
When I asked what are the best medical schools in the south, affordability was one of the things that I was thinking about.

you must be smokin' somethin' if you think that the cost in hotlanta is too high!!!!

I know all is relative...but basically what you are saying is that I dont want to live in any large city in the south and plan to definitely stay out of ANY city in the Northeast, West, Southwest, and Midwest.

good luck with that one

I agree- it depends on a number of factors. Cost, research v. primary care, do you like city, suburban, country.

Emory, Duke, Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins come to mind

and emory is just as expensive in terms of tuition as the other top schools in the nation (including the south) and in fact the standard of living in the suburbs of Atlanta is a bit lower than the northeast and california

best place to live from these: Emory, i would take atlanta over durham and the ghettos of baltimore anyday

worth the $$: Johns Hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)
sometimes the best medical school, is the school at which you "fit" in the best. I think a great medical school for one student may not be all that great for another student. It depends on the type of cirriculum, community, and environment that you prefer, And that is obviously different for different individuals.

In terms of both medical and civilian reputation, the clear-cut best school in the SE is Duke (Hopkins is not in the South). Rounding out the list are probably Emory, Vandy, UAB, and maybe UNC/UVa. For primary care, still Duke and then UNC.

Edit: Actually, I'm not even sure if UVa counts as south, but it is certainly a lot more southern than Hopkins/Maryland/Baltimore

Hopkins is in the Northeast.

There are some great southern schools though. As mentioned duke, vandy, emory, UAB, UNC, UVA...

Not mentioned were Tulane, UF, Miami is considered pretty good, MUSC, and medical college of georgia. also USF seems to be getting a good rep in the south.

NotAnMD said:
Hopkins is in the Northeast.

There are some great southern schools though. As mentioned duke, vandy, emory, UAB, UNC, UVA...

Not mentioned were Tulane, UF, Miami is considered pretty good, MUSC, and medical college of georgia. also USF seems to be getting a good rep in the south.
wouldn't it be more mid-atlantic. I wouldn't consider baltimore (or washington DC) to be in the NE personally.

jillibean said:
wouldn't it be more mid-atlantic. I wouldn't consider baltimore (or washington DC) to be in the NE personally.

The mid-atlantic is in the northeast. New York, nj is considered a midatlantic state and whenever people talk about North east, ney york is usually included.

if $ is a factor then it's got to also depend on state of residency. I'm in NC, UNC = best education for your $. VA is definitely the south by the way. In fact, Charlottesville is probably one of the most southern towns in the confederacy... errr uhhh i mean the United States.

(total jk, i just love the south)

XildUpNawth said:
Baylor, if you count Texas as part of the South.

Baylor is in Houston...Southeast Texas = definitely the south!!!

The mid-atlantic is in the northeast. New York, nj is considered a midatlantic state and whenever people talk about North east, ney york is usually included.

The mid-atlantic is not in the northeast. The reason some people classify New York as both is because there's some discrepancy about where the mid-atlantic turns into the northeast, but Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state. It's below the Mason-Dixon line for crying out loud. How can it be northeast? LOL

MedStudentWanna said:
The mid-atlantic is not in the northeast. The reason some people classify New York as both is because there's some discrepancy about where the mid-atlantic turns into the northeast, but Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state. It's below the Mason-Dixon line for crying out loud. How can it be northeast? LOL

Agreed.

MedStudentWanna said:

Why does the fact that they sanctioned slavery 150 years ago have anything to do with geography? It's 5th grade stuff. Usually anything from DC/Balt up is considered Northeast. You might be confusing "Northeast with New England but NY, NJ, PA are Northeast, look at a map with a compass.
May I suggest checking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_States
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BosWash
for some not-so-scientific info

Ironhead2000 said:
Why does the fact that they sanctioned slavery 150 years ago have anything to do with geography? It's 5th grade stuff. Usually anything from DC/Balt up is considered Northeast. You might be confusing "Northeast with New England but NY, NJ, PA are Northeast, look at a map with a compass.
May I suggest checking
or

That says Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state...aren't you trying to prove that Baltimore is in the Northeast?

I'm confused.

Duke probably carries the most prestige of the southern schools. After that, I would say Vanderbilt, followed by Emory, UVA. But it really depends upon what you want. Duke does the entire curriculum in three years, a big difference. Vanderbilt requires research, begun in year one, over summertime between years one and two, and culminating in year two. So these two schools integrate research into your curricular activities, so if you want to do a difficult to get into specialty, it may be an advantage to have the school view research (or another degree if you prefer at Duke) as part of the four year curriculum.
Emory is still graded in the preclinical years, I believe, which may be a disadvantage. UVA doesn't have the research help built in, but is a beautiful campus and is also highly related.
Duke is ranked in top ten at US News, Vandy #14, and I recall that UVA is in the top twenty with Emory just about there as well. These are all great numbers especially since I believe there is somewhat of a Northeast bias in most of those kinds of surveys.
they all have pretty nice weather except for summer heat and humidity and a slower, less harried kind of lifestyle.

Dr. Pepper said:
That says Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state...aren't you trying to prove that Baltimore is in the Northeast?

I'm confused.

I'm saying that it is both in a mid-atlantic state and in the northeast. they aren't mutually exclusive. how is that confusing? "In recent years, the popular usage has also included the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area with the growing economic integration of that region into the Northeast Corridor."

Ironhead2000 said:
May I suggest checking
or

Yeah, because we all know how accurate and reliable Wikipedia is. I think I'm going to trust what the U.S. Census Bureau says rather than an article that could have been submitted and/or edited by anyone on Wikipedia.

And by the way, no, I was not thinking of New England.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/acs-01.pdf

How did this thread turn into a discussion about geography and which state is part of which geographical sect? Who cares, just discuss schools that seem to be in the southeastern united states lol.

Duke, Emory, UNC, UVA, Alabama, Vanderbilt, John Hopkins (a little north)...... These schools all have very good reputation in the medical world.
All of them very competitive to get in....

DoctorPardi said:
How did this thread turn into a discussion about geography and which state is part of which geographical sect? Who cares, just discuss schools that seem to be in the southeastern united states lol.

Hear Hear!! MedStudentWanna is obviously a douche if he reads the Census to bed before wetting his pants instead of using common sense.