What are Considered the Best Medical Schools in the Southeast

Fetus22

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
12
0
Status
Which medical schools are considered the best in the Southeast?
 

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
414
2
USA
Status
Attending Physician
The one that you get accepted to.
 

eerapido

EagleEyes
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
151
0
Status
Medical Student
Depends on what you want to do?

Primary care?
Research?
Academics?
Cutting edge?
Which specialty you want to shoot to attain...
 
About the Ads

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
i consider anything below the mason-dixon line to be south.

So i would say Hopkins.
 
OP
Fetus22

Fetus22

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
12
0
Status
zachdhudson said:
I'm sure Emory is a fine school, but I am pretty sure they price gouge on tuition. Plus cost of living is too high in Atlanta for me.
When I asked what are the best medical schools in the south, affordability was one of the things that I was thinking about.
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
Fetus22 said:
I'm sure Emory is a fine school, but I am pretty sure they price gouge on tuition. Plus cost of living is too high in Atlanta for me.
When I asked what are the best medical schools in the south, affordability was one of the things that I was thinking about.

you must be smokin' somethin' if you think that the cost in hotlanta is too high!!!!

I know all is relative...but basically what you are saying is that I dont want to live in any large city in the south and plan to definitely stay out of ANY city in the Northeast, West, Southwest, and Midwest.

good luck with that one
 

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
1,671
13
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
I agree- it depends on a number of factors. Cost, research v. primary care, do you like city, suburban, country.
 

paki20

Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
293
2
Status
Emory, Duke, Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins come to mind

and emory is just as expensive in terms of tuition as the other top schools in the nation (including the south) and in fact the standard of living in the suburbs of Atlanta is a bit lower than the northeast and california

best place to live from these: Emory, i would take atlanta over durham and the ghettos of baltimore anyday

worth the $$: Johns Hopkins
 
About the Ads

630670

Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2004
83
0
Status
sometimes the best medical school, is the school at which you "fit" in the best. I think a great medical school for one student may not be all that great for another student. It depends on the type of cirriculum, community, and environment that you prefer, And that is obviously different for different individuals.
 

top

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
202
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In terms of both medical and civilian reputation, the clear-cut best school in the SE is Duke (Hopkins is not in the South). Rounding out the list are probably Emory, Vandy, UAB, and maybe UNC/UVa. For primary care, still Duke and then UNC.

Edit: Actually, I'm not even sure if UVa counts as south, but it is certainly a lot more southern than Hopkins/Maryland/Baltimore
 

NotAnMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2005
270
0
New England
Status
Pre-Medical
Hopkins is in the Northeast.

There are some great southern schools though. As mentioned duke, vandy, emory, UAB, UNC, UVA...

Not mentioned were Tulane, UF, Miami is considered pretty good, MUSC, and medical college of georgia. also USF seems to be getting a good rep in the south.
 

jillibean

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
569
27
Status
Pre-Medical
NotAnMD said:
Hopkins is in the Northeast.

There are some great southern schools though. As mentioned duke, vandy, emory, UAB, UNC, UVA...

Not mentioned were Tulane, UF, Miami is considered pretty good, MUSC, and medical college of georgia. also USF seems to be getting a good rep in the south.
wouldn't it be more mid-atlantic. I wouldn't consider baltimore (or washington DC) to be in the NE personally.
 

Ari Gold

.....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
275
1
Status
jillibean said:
wouldn't it be more mid-atlantic. I wouldn't consider baltimore (or washington DC) to be in the NE personally.
The mid-atlantic is in the northeast. New York, nj is considered a midatlantic state and whenever people talk about North east, ney york is usually included.
 

sfnix

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
79
0
36
BM, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
if $ is a factor then it's got to also depend on state of residency. I'm in NC, UNC = best education for your $. VA is definitely the south by the way. In fact, Charlottesville is probably one of the most southern towns in the confederacy... errr uhhh i mean the United States.

(total jk, i just love the south)
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
XildUpNawth said:
Baylor, if you count Texas as part of the South.

Baylor is in Houston...Southeast Texas = definitely the south!!!
 

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
1,993
9
Status
The mid-atlantic is in the northeast. New York, nj is considered a midatlantic state and whenever people talk about North east, ney york is usually included.
The mid-atlantic is not in the northeast. The reason some people classify New York as both is because there's some discrepancy about where the mid-atlantic turns into the northeast, but Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state. It's below the Mason-Dixon line for crying out loud. How can it be northeast? LOL
 

CptCrunch

Senior Member
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2005
800
23
Status
Attending Physician
MedStudentWanna said:
The mid-atlantic is not in the northeast. The reason some people classify New York as both is because there's some discrepancy about where the mid-atlantic turns into the northeast, but Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state. It's below the Mason-Dixon line for crying out loud. How can it be northeast? LOL
Agreed.
 

Ari Gold

.....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
275
1
Status
MedStudentWanna said:
The mid-atlantic is not in the northeast. The reason some people classify New York as both is because there's some discrepancy about where the mid-atlantic turns into the northeast, but Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state. It's below the Mason-Dixon line for crying out loud. How can it be northeast? LOL
Why does the fact that they sanctioned slavery 150 years ago have anything to do with geography? It's 5th grade stuff. Usually anything from DC/Balt up is considered Northeast. You might be confusing "Northeast with New England but NY, NJ, PA are Northeast, look at a map with a compass.
May I suggest checking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_States
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BosWash
for some not-so-scientific info
 

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
1,252
1
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
Ironhead2000 said:
Why does the fact that they sanctioned slavery 150 years ago have anything to do with geography? It's 5th grade stuff. Usually anything from DC/Balt up is considered Northeast. You might be confusing "Northeast with New England but NY, NJ, PA are Northeast, look at a map with a compass.
May I suggest checking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_States
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BosWash
for some not-so-scientific info
That says Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state...aren't you trying to prove that Baltimore is in the Northeast?

I'm confused.
 

paradisedoc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2006
158
1
Status
Attending Physician
Duke probably carries the most prestige of the southern schools. After that, I would say Vanderbilt, followed by Emory, UVA. But it really depends upon what you want. Duke does the entire curriculum in three years, a big difference. Vanderbilt requires research, begun in year one, over summertime between years one and two, and culminating in year two. So these two schools integrate research into your curricular activities, so if you want to do a difficult to get into specialty, it may be an advantage to have the school view research (or another degree if you prefer at Duke) as part of the four year curriculum.
Emory is still graded in the preclinical years, I believe, which may be a disadvantage. UVA doesn't have the research help built in, but is a beautiful campus and is also highly related.
Duke is ranked in top ten at US News, Vandy #14, and I recall that UVA is in the top twenty with Emory just about there as well. These are all great numbers especially since I believe there is somewhat of a Northeast bias in most of those kinds of surveys.
they all have pretty nice weather except for summer heat and humidity and a slower, less harried kind of lifestyle.
 

Ari Gold

.....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
275
1
Status
Dr. Pepper said:
That says Baltimore is a mid-atlantic state...aren't you trying to prove that Baltimore is in the Northeast?

I'm confused.
I'm saying that it is both in a mid-atlantic state and in the northeast. they aren't mutually exclusive. how is that confusing? "In recent years, the popular usage has also included the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area with the growing economic integration of that region into the Northeast Corridor."
 

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
1,993
9
Status
Ironhead2000 said:
Why does the fact that they sanctioned slavery 150 years ago have anything to do with geography? It's 5th grade stuff. Usually anything from DC/Balt up is considered Northeast. You might be confusing "Northeast with New England but NY, NJ, PA are Northeast, look at a map with a compass.
May I suggest checking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_States
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BosWash
for some not-so-scientific info
Yeah, because we all know how accurate and reliable Wikipedia is. I think I'm going to trust what the U.S. Census Bureau says rather than an article that could have been submitted and/or edited by anyone on Wikipedia.

And by the way, no, I was not thinking of New England.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/acs-01.pdf
 

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,625
3
34
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How did this thread turn into a discussion about geography and which state is part of which geographical sect? Who cares, just discuss schools that seem to be in the southeastern united states lol.
 

Wahoos

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
152
2
Status
Attending Physician
Duke, Emory, UNC, UVA, Alabama, Vanderbilt, John Hopkins (a little north)...... These schools all have very good reputation in the medical world.
All of them very competitive to get in....
 

Ari Gold

.....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
275
1
Status
DoctorPardi said:
How did this thread turn into a discussion about geography and which state is part of which geographical sect? Who cares, just discuss schools that seem to be in the southeastern united states lol.
Hear Hear!! MedStudentWanna is obviously a douche if he reads the Census to bed before wetting his pants instead of using common sense.
 
About the Ads