What are current physicians saying about the future of healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a first generation physician so I don't have a mom, dad, sister in the family who went to medical school who I hear stuff from. I would ask the doctors I shadow, but I usually concentrate on becoming informed about the procedures they are doing and witnessing the patient/doctor interaction.

For those who have physicians in your families, what are they saying about the future of health care in terms of legislation, decreasing compensation or increasing compensation for that matter, new regulations, paperwork etc.

A family member would be more candid than most anybody, so I ask those who have physicians in their families

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask the doctors I shadow, but I usually concentrate on becoming informed about the procedures they are doing and witnessing the patient/doctor interaction.

I asked some doctors and nurses about this in the ER and they were very candid, especially when I told them I was considering medicine. I would suggest asking the doctors you're shadowing about this when it's not busy :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really an answer to your question but maybe relevant.

In regards to his children "I won't discourage them if they choose to follow in my footsteps. But I'm thinking I would rather see them become dentists"

I've had responses that represent the gamut. I think it depends on the political wherewithal of the person you ask, but the most important thing is to know what slant whoever your asking possesses, and take the advice/opinion accordingly...

You'd be better off just trying to find out the facts and get a few people to explain some of the things you don't understand. Asking a question like "the future of healthcare" is so loaded you'll have trouble separating the wheat from the chaff.