RipThemOut

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2008
Texas
Status
Dental Student
I am a 3rd year dental student who is interested in applying for 4-year OMFS residencies. What are the magic numbers that these programs are looking for?

My scores are:

National Boards Part I: 87%
Class Rank: within top 10%

Do I have a shot? If so, which schools would be best to apply to given my numbers to have a realistic chance of getting accepted?

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
Academic Administration
I am a 3rd year dental student who is interested in applying for 4-year OMFS residencies. What are the magic numbers that these programs are looking for?

My scores are:

National Boards Part I: 87%
Class Rank: 8 of 91 = within top 10%

Do I have a shot? If so, which Schools would be best to apply to given my numbers to have a realistic chance of getting accepted?
I'll give you an obvious response so you get at least 1 and others will contribute also!

Everyone says board score should be 90 but there are people all the time that match with less than that.

I'd say more importantly because your boards aren't steller, do you have any good externship time under your belt? No one can say that externship time is more or less important than board scores but it's invaluable for you personally to figure out where you want to apply.

2thguy82

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
Status
I have a similar class rank at a respectable school, but my boards were an 86. I have no clue what to do. I decided to go ahead and apply and see what happens, but do we think with this trend of the boards all being lower that will do the trick??

I have a ton of research/grants, and have been published. I'll also have 5 externships under my belt by the time I apply, and solid letters. Do I have a shot, or am I internship bound??

curious to hear all your thoughts also, should be an interesting application year with the new boards and such....

Yahtzee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You're doing the right thing in applying. Even though your board scores may not be ideal, if you get a handful of interviews none of that will matter. Once you get interviews, the most important thing is that you come across as a decent, hard working person that the faculty and residents would like to have around for 4 years. The worst thing that can happen is that you spend a year at an internship and re-apply next time around.

GoGatorsDMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
If you get interviews (and you will) you have a shot of matching. Doing good externships and being able to make the case you'd be a good resident are what you need on top of the numbers.

2thguy82

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
Status
Thanks for the advice....I hope you guys are right. My concern is that I wont even get the interviews. If they look at my overall app hopefully they'll see I want it for the right reasons. I'm just worried they wont even be willing to meet me with those numbers.

Hopefully this mess with the board scores being screwy will change what they look for a bit. Fingers crossed for all of us!!

OP
R

RipThemOut

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2008
Texas
Status
Dental Student
Thanks for the advice everyone. Where did you extern 2thguy? I'm planning on spending my entire summer break doing as many as I can. I decided late in the game that I wanted to go OMFS so unfortunately I have not done any yet, and would appreciate any info on good 4-year programs.

new DDS

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status
Dental Student
The program at Lincoln Hospital medical center in the Bronx looks for a resident that has done reasonably well with their scores and are in the top 30% of the class but is really really motivated. Externships are good but what else to you have to offer? Have you done other programs, endo honors, or oral path, pedo, anesthesia that would make you a better candidate for that program.

If you ask Dr. Philbert, he wants those people whom are motivated to learn, read, inquire. He enjoys the challenge of fresh questions and enjoys OMS. He wants that same passion to be reflected back.

If you don't get in the first go round, then choose a GP program affiliated with their OMS program so that you can network and demonstrate your skills.
There is a lot to say about who you get to know...

2thguy82

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
Status
Thanks for the advice everyone. Where did you extern 2thguy? I'm planning on spending my entire summer break doing as many as I can. I decided late in the game that I wanted to go OMFS so unfortunately I have not done any yet, and would appreciate any info on good 4-year programs.

Hey buddy,

The short answer to that complicated question is, you should extern where you may want to go that you feel you have a shot at. It's a good opportunity to check out the field and get the feel of the program, but it's also an informal interview. You definitely want to look at sites where you may be interested and try to head there. Spending time somewhere you don't want to be doesn't seem wise....

THAT SAID....some good 4 year externships I know of/have done are

-VCU (pretty well known 4 year program)
-UNC (also well known with both 4 and 6 year spots)
-Washington Hospital Center
-Knoxville (that service has all the trauma service, great exposure)

If you're looking at 6 year programs, there's more variety, but there are the obvious UCSF, Parkland, Emory, etc. that practice an amazing scope.

Moral of the story, look at places you want to go, and make sure you're spending time usefully, lord knows we aren't given much of it in dental school....

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Jerzzzzzz
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Bottom line is: it is getting harder to get into OMFS. Not one candidate had lower than 91 last year at my program, even for the 4yr spot. Think about retaking part I. There were just too many good people out there with great numbers. Personality doesn't matter unless they get to see it, and the only way is to first look good on paper.

2thguy82

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
Status
Needless to say, it's always been tough to get in, and always will be. Also, needless to say, the higher an applicant's rank/gpa/boards/extras/etc. the better. However, I've met a lot of residents with unique stories that would give hope to those who want it for the right reasons and can show it in a CV but aren't the killer applicants on paper....

With the weird stuff going on with the new boards, and the raw number of people applying per spot available, an applicant who shows they really want it with an overall application still has a shot. Also, you're at a pretty impressive program, the likes of which can afford to be more selective. That's not true of all programs.

My understanding is that amongst the 4 and 6 year programs, there are some that are simply harder to get accepted to than others. Some 4s are harder than some 6s, some 6s are harder than other 4s, etc. Apply to only intense programs, yes you prob need amazing numbers across the board, period. Apply more strategically, you have a shot with other credentials.

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Jerzzzzzz
Status
Needless to say, it's always been tough to get in, and always will be. Also, needless to say, the higher an applicant's rank/gpa/boards/extras/etc. the better. However, I've met a lot of residents with unique stories that would give hope to those who want it for the right reasons and can show it in a CV but aren't the killer applicants on paper....
Exceptions, not the norm.

With the weird stuff going on with the new boards, and the raw number of people applying per spot available, an applicant who shows they really want it with an overall application still has a shot. Also, you're at a pretty impressive program, the likes of which can afford to be more selective. That's not true of all programs.
You are better off spending the time trying to pad your CV by studying to improve your score.....not doing extra externships trying to impress the programs, or other things. The fact of the matter is that with increasing competition, the numbers get higher. and 86/87 would be hard pressed to make a cut even at a mediocre program anymore. We will definitely see if this is accurate this year, and wether I am right or wrong. Not trying to crush anyones hopes here, but trying to be objective and realistic.

My understanding is that amongst the 4 and 6 year programs, there are some that are simply harder to get accepted to than others. Some 4s are harder than some 6s, some 6s are harder than other 4s, etc. Apply to only intense programs, yes you prob need amazing numbers across the board, period. Apply more strategically, you have a shot with other credentials.
True......touche.

2thguy82

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
Status
Exceptions, not the norm.

You are better off spending the time trying to pad your CV by studying to improve your score.....not doing extra externships trying to impress the programs, or other things. The fact of the matter is that with increasing competition, the numbers get higher. and 86/87 would be hard pressed to make a cut even at a mediocre program anymore. We will definitely see if this is accurate this year, and wether I am right or wrong.

Yea it's definitely looking to be the exception to get in with these numbers, but I wonder if an internship would make up for them?? Also, if you did an internship, built your CV, and applied for two more cycles, then could you not retake part 1 when it's pass/fail, and be applying with a numberless application that's now built with an internship, etc.??

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Jerzzzzzz
Status
Yea it's definitely looking to be the exception to get in with these numbers, but I wonder if an internship would make up for them?? Also, if you did an internship, built your CV, and applied for two more cycles, then could you not retake part 1 when it's pass/fail, and be applying with a numberless application that's now built with an internship, etc.??
I think your CV looks pretty good. You really don't need too much more, but scoring higher on part I is prob what you are going to need. It sucks you have to study again, but all said and done, when you match it will all be worth it in the end. Just plan on doing it again and suck it up. Good luck and I hope you accomplish your goal. :)

OP
R

RipThemOut

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2008
Texas
Status
Dental Student
dude, do you think we'll have a chance when part I goes to pass/fail? i've been thinking along those lines as well. gonna have to suck it up and deal with not matching for possibly 2 years though... what do you current residents out there think? any school admin comments?

Columbia07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
Dental Student
dude, do you think we'll have a chance when part I goes to pass/fail? i've been thinking along those lines as well. gonna have to suck it up and deal with not matching for possibly 2 years though... what do you current residents out there think? any school admin comments?

If you've taken the old format and received a numerical PASSING score you will not be allowed to retake the exam when it switches to P/F.

2thguy82

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
Status
If you've taken the old format and received a numerical PASSING score you will not be allowed to retake the exam when it switches to P/F.

How do you know this is true?? Have you heard it from a reputable source, or do you assume??

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
Is there an up to date source yet?