What are Endodontic residencies looking for in applicants? (GPA, class rank, research, LORs, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in pursuing an endodontic residency and am curious what I should be doing to best prepare myself? Any help is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. ADAT score 2. Class rank 3. LOR from Endo faculty preferably from your pre-doc director 4. some research

Thanks! In terms of class rank, what percentage is considered competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Top 20% for competitive programs.

Last edited:
I love how ADAT went from non-existant to top factor within the year it has been out. Sucks!

The ADAT is definitely not number one right now. Its a new exam and is in it's pilot year. Scores are not reported until September, by which time most endo programs have gone through interviews and selected those for positions.
IMO what endo programs are looking for:
1. GPA and rank
2. Experience and/or AEGD/GPR
3. Letters of recommendation and involvement with Endo (whether it's at your school or going to national meetings)
4. ADAT (this may move up in the next couple of years)

Of course, this is before any interview.

The ADAT is definitely not number one right now. Its a new exam and is in it's pilot year. Scores are not reported until September, by which time most endo programs have gone through interviews and selected those for positions.
IMO what endo programs are looking for:
1. GPA and rank
2. Experience and/or AEGD/GPR
3. Letters of recommendation and involvement with Endo (whether it's at your school or going to national meetings)
4. ADAT (this may move up in the next couple of years)

Of course, this is before any interview.

Op's status indicated "pre-dent" and I assumed he/she will apply in 2-3 years. I think it takes 2 cycles for program directors to figure out this exam and be able to analyze the overall score.

Last edited:
don't they have to go through an entire graduating class and measure their performance during the residency vs. how well they did on the ADAT to find a predictive value to the test? that would take a minimum of two years as residencies are at least two years. Furthermore, even if they did find that parts of the ADAT are useless, the ADA would either modify the exam so it wouldn't be useless or admissions directors would continue to use the ADAT anyways (like they used to w/ NBDE part 1 scores for residency way back when). Regardless, ADAT will be the number 1 factor starting, less likely, next year but more realistically starting in two years. I mean that's what the test was meant to be anyways!

i applied and was accepted last cycle. if you are applying right out of dental school, my advice is to figure out which programs accept new grads (where experience and gpr/aegd is not heavily ranked or even a requirement). don't waste your time applying to those programs if they are just going to throw your application out. visit programs during your breaks and talk to residents.

the application is straight forward, but get everything in early (like beginning of June). GPA and rank are probably the most important. followed by research and other activities. different programs have different deadlines, so you might get interview invites and even hear decisions before interview invites or even app deadlines have passed for other programs.