What are good physics and chemistry textbooks to study from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooolguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with some good chemistry and/or physics textbooks in my path of preparaing for the mcat. I am confused on some of the kaplan concepts and would like to furthur clarify them. That is why i ask, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I used a Chem book by Zumdahl that helped me with acid base chemistry and Galvanic cells

I used Halliday-Resnick for Physics

Whatever you get, purchase an old edition from ebay. If you go back 1 or 2 editions you can get the textbooks around $20 and it will be relatively the same info as the new ones.

Cooolguy said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with some good chemistry and/or physics textbooks in my path of preparaing for the mcat. I am confused on some of the kaplan concepts and would like to furthur clarify them. That is why i ask, thanks

thanks for the info

HunterGatherer said:
I used a Chem book by Zumdahl that helped me with acid base chemistry and Galvanic cells

Whatever you get, purchase an old edition from ebay. If you go back 1 or 2 editions you can get the textbooks around $20 and it will be relatively the same info as the new ones.

HunterGatherer said:

For the record, I despised Halliday-Resnick. Very dry. Limited conceptual explanations (which I always have found helpful).

Though I did always look forward to seeing what that crazy penguin would be up to next.

Members don't see this ad :)
which book by Halliday-Resnick. is it Fundamentals of Physics or Physics, Volume 1

thanks

ND2005 said:
For the record, I despised Halliday-Resnick. Very dry. Limited conceptual explanations (which I always have found helpful).

Though I did always look forward to seeing what that crazy penguin would be up to next.

Yeah, they do a bad job of explaining, but they get right to the point (helpful, if you're in a rush). There's also a problem supplement with more problems if you feel you need it.

Are there any good alg based physics books that have a solutions manual?
My class is using Giancoli and the "study guide" is worthless.

Nikki2002 said:
well, i can tell you one physics text to STAY AWAY from.....cutnell and johnson

heck yea, its a crappy a$$ book. I am using for my physics class and its terrible!!! Any other better algebra based books?

the stuff in the textbooks is too detailed for the mcats. you can get everything summed up in the review books. if you need to teach yourself from the begining, Serway for Physics :thumbup: Dont bother with the end of text problems.

we use the giancoli physics book at my school as well. personally, i didnt like it so i used the james s. walker book for physics. the chem boko really sucks, the one by davis its called general chemistry. stay away from it. i need advice on a good chem book, i have a wek background in that stuff

What do you guys think about the Schaum outlines for Chemistry, Biology and Physics?

Virgil said:
What do you guys think about the Schaum outlines for Chemistry, Biology and Physics?

I used Schaum's chemistry (the outline) and the 3000 Solved problems. The outline is pretty good, the 3000 book is really not necessary (the problems in the 3000 book pretty much come from Schaum's Outline of "Beginning Chem, "Fundamentals of Chem," and "College Chemistry.") Also the outline teaches normality, which I believe isn't taught much anymore. You may want to omit that portion. Otherwise the "Outline" problems are pretty good. Schaum's Organic Outline is impossible; no color in that thing (organic is drab enough without a color textbook). Schaum's physics outline is okay (for mechanics). I dunno if there's enough problems though. Using Schaum's biology outline right now. Again, no color (Schaum's and color don't go together), but I really like it. Especially the question and answer format. I also have a Schaum's Genetics outline which I am gonna do a bit from before I take that class in the summer. Genetics textbooks can be intimidating. This one is nicely condensed and paperback.