What are good schools to apply to that don't have pre-secondary screening?

supertrooper66

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2008
Status
NYMC?
Drexel?
SUNY?
I don't know what else...schools with generally lower median stats. i need to make a list of these and which ones don't have pre-secondary screening. i have a 3.6 and a 26R (8, 10, 8) MCAT, so i need to get by those screens. i'm retaking the MCAT in august but won't be able to use it (assuming i do better) if i get knocked out in the prescreening. thanks

dArroway

Gettin' my hood on
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
look at the life on this planet sir, no sign of it
Status
Pre-Medical
NYMC?
Drexel?
SUNY?
I don't know what else...schools with generally lower median stats. i need to make a list of these and which ones don't have pre-secondary screening. i have a 3.6 and a 26R (8, 10, 8) MCAT, so i need to get by those screens. i'm retaking the MCAT in august but won't be able to use it (assuming i do better) if i get knocked out in the prescreening. thanks
I applied to 15 schools and got like one pre-sec screen LOL

prettymonkey

10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I applied to 15 schools and got like one pre-sec screen LOL
yeah they all want your $100 secondary fee. of course after you pay the fee they might never speak to you again. but they gladly cash your check regardless of your stats.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I'd recommend shooting for schools WITH screening because at least then you don't waste so much money. Here's how well "screening" works. I had a uGPA of 3.07, BCPM of 2.93, MCAT: 8P, 12V, 13B. I applied to 23 schools and was screened out of ONE. That one was U of Washington so I was likely screened out because of being out of state and not spectacular. You don't necessarily have a better shot if they don't screen. They are just more likely to take your money and run.

OP
supertrooper66

supertrooper66

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2008
Status
i see, so basically...i can apply anywhere i want and can update the schools with my new mcat that i'll be taking in july.

how do you go about updating schools with your new mcat after theyve already received your application?

also, say you retake the mcat and aren't happy with your retake, do you have to show them your retake? lol get what i'm hinting towards? that way i might not immediately send them my retake score UNTIL i see it first. if it's just as bad as my first one i don't want to reinforce my crappy score with a retake of the same score!

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i see, so basically...i can apply anywhere i want and can update the schools with my new mcat that i'll be taking in july.

how do you go about updating schools with your new mcat after theyve already received your application?

also, say you retake the mcat and aren't happy with your retake, do you have to show them your retake? lol get what i'm hinting towards? that way i might not immediately send them my retake score UNTIL i see it first. if it's just as bad as my first one i don't want to reinforce my crappy score with a retake of the same score!
you email them or call them. their contact info is usually on their website.