What are my Chance? Should I even apply? (CA Resident...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

random3d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've posted in the past but here's an update on my stats/extracurriculars. I've graduated for almost 3 years. and also took two Postbacc courses which I got A's in but haven't factored in.

I was an Economics/Biological Sciences double major from a UC and graduated with honors. Some interesting circumstances can explain the bad grades early on..

~3.6 Cummulative GPA
~3.7 BCPM GPA

Strong Upward Trend
Frosh Year ~2.8
Soph Year ~ 3.7
Junior Year ~ 3.8
Senior Year ~ 3.9

- Graduated with Honors
- Department Citation in Economics

MCAT - 30Q - 10/10/10 - Will Retake in June

Extracurriculars are as follows:
High School Sciences Tutor - 1 Year - Tutored in SAT Math and High School Physics and Chem
Private Tutor for Economics - 2 Years - Tutored College Students in Economics Courses
Private Tutor for Biological Sciences - 1 Year
Pharmacy Internship - 3 Months - Assisted Pharmacists, Customer Service, faxed doctors, etc.
1 Year ICU Hospital Volunteer ~150 Hours - Assisted/observed Bedside Procedures, e.g. held bandages for nurses, held up leg/head to be bandaged, etc., Patient Transport, Delivered Blood Samples, Basically observed and absorbed the whole hospital environment.
6 Months Bio Research Laboratory - Performed Transfections, Cell Maintenance/Culture Work, FACS, Sample Collection/Analysis, etc.
6 Months Cancer Research Laboratory - Assisted in Mouse Colony work, Preparing, labeling, and organization of mice, Assisted with Mouse Dissections, Followed/Observed PI as he explained each process in depth, Genotyping of Mice including DNA isolation, PCR, and Gel Electrophoresis, etc. (Ongoing)
1 Month Clinical/Community Research Volunteer - Assisted in Gathering Data, Performed anthropometric measurements on middle school students (e.g pulse, weight, height, etc.).
Multiple Years of Volunteer Experience at Community Temple - (Ever Since I was a kid)

Work Experience:
1.5 Years Research Analyst (Economics) for the state of California. (ongoing)
2.5 Years Marketing/Sales Coordinator for a small online marketing company. (ongoing) - Part Time now

So, How do you think my ECs and stats look? Am I ready to apply this year? I Am also retaking the MCAT in June this year... Is that too late? What else can I do that I am lacking on my app? The only thing I have going now is the Research Laboratory and my two Jobs that aren't science related. This is while I study for my MCAT.

I apologize for all the questions, but really need some guidance.

Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Solid app....but not for Cali.

I think you need that 33+ MCAT to make you stand out. Very average, which is not bad but you will get lost.

I would really shoot for OOS unless the MCAT comes up.

i am no expert but if thats the case then it sucks to live in california lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your have any presentations/publications from your research?

I think you've got a great application and have a good shot at many, many schools including some in California. I would not retake the MCAT in your situation, but that's obviously your decision. Just be sure you are consistently scoring in the mid-30's on practice tests; you absolutely do not want to go down.

No need to retake that Mcat unless you have your heart set on top tier schools but if you just want to be a doctor and don't care where you go so much....

Buy yourself an MSAR and run your finger across the pages. You will find a few schools that will like your stats and would like to meet you. Apply to a good 15 solid schools, with at least 2 DO schools in there and you will most likely be in med school before you know it.
You have average stats and stats like those scream safe to schools and they like safe. So buy that MSAR, do a little research and you will find the schools that will give you a good run for your money.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will retake the MCAT and study harder this time. I barely studied the first time I took it and I was already a year out of school.. so I'm hoping for a better score.

Do you guys think I should concentrate on getting more medically related positions/experiences or should I stick with my 2 non-medicine related positions? I live on my own and have loans to pay... so no work is definitely not an option.. haha

Of course, I'd prefer to stay in CA... but really, I'm more than willing to sacrifice a few years of my life out of the state in order to become a doctor.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will retake the MCAT and study harder this time. I barely studied the first time I took it and I was already a year out of school.. so I'm hoping for a better score.

Do you guys think I should concentrate on getting more medically related positions/experiences or should I stick with my 2 non-medicine related positions? I live on my own and have loans to pay... so no work is definitely not an option.. haha

Of course, I'd prefer to stay in CA... but really, I'm more than willing to sacrifice a few years of my life out of the state in order to become a doctor.

The more medical experience you have the better....just not at the expense of grades or living...:)

So, Should i maintain the status quo and keep my jobs and the research volunteer position? or look for something more?

Any suggestions on how to strengthen my app?

So, Should i maintain the status quo and keep my jobs and the research volunteer position? or look for something more?

Any suggestions on how to strengthen my app?

I would not change my jobs at this point especially if I liked them.

I would look to continue some type of clinical volunteering like what you did in teh ICU.

You seem to have most of the bases covered except for shadowing....which can be a huge gap. I would try to get 50-80hrs over several specialities....

Lastly, you dont have anything unique that stands out....solid but not eye catching.

I volunteered in animal shelter and both my interviewers mentioned it.

Try and think of something like that can stand out.....