what are my chanced of getting into a post bac program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an economic major at the university of Chicago, I'm going into my last year. I have a 3.4 gpa. I have taken hard classes. Anyway, I started taking the pre med classes here until I had a horrible death in my family and I had to withdraw from one science class. I continued with my other classes even though I was really grieving. I have above average test scores and average grades. I have some good EC's. Should I apply to a post bac program? I don't have great letters of rec, but I could work onthat. Any suggestions about where. I should apply and/or my chances id acceptance? I worked as an R.A. at the hospital for 1 year.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an economic major at the university of Chicago, I'm going into my last year. I have a 3.4 gpa. I have taken hard classes. Anyway, I started taking the pre med classes here until I had a horrible death in my family and I had to withdraw from one science class. I continued with my other classes even though I was really grieving. I have above average test scores and average grades. I have some good EC's. Should I apply to a post bac program? I don't have great letters of rec, but I could work onthat. Any suggestions about where. I should apply and/or my chances id acceptance? I worked as an R.A. at the hospital for 1 year.

I'm an Econ major from Rutgers University (C/o 2010, 3.49 over, 3.8 major), with next to nil experience in the health care setting other than my almost non-existent stint as an EMT back in high school, and am about to start my post-bacc at Harvard this Fall. I don't know which program you're aiming for, but i think Chicago has a slightly more rigorous econ program than Rutgers so I'm pretty certain you can get yourself into most half-decent post-bac programs.

Are you referring to the program through the Harvard Extension School?

If you don't mind sharing, how many other post-baccs did you apply to? Harvard has great name recognition, but what else did you consider when you made your decision? I'm new to this whole post-bacc thing, by the way. Thank you!

How many of the prereqs did you complete and how poorly did you do in them? If you've taken more than two, there is a chance you may be ineligible for many top-flight career changer postbac programs (Bryn Mawr, Scripps and Goucher being the best). If you've done very poorly in prereqs, top postbac programs will see this as evidence that you cannot handle the hard sciences. This of course may not be fair, but that's the reality of the situation. These programs keep their near-100% acceptance rates to medical school by only accepting "sure things" as far as candidates go.