What are my chances 124 CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unspecified3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Born in India (lived 14 years) and immigrated to US (8+ years as of today). Have US permanent resident status.

1. 3.97 cGPA and 3.96 sGPA (Biochemistry and Molec. Bio with Honors degree)
2. MCAT #1 508 (129/123/130/126)
MCAT #2 509 (129/124/129/127)
3. New Jersey Resident
4. Indian (Asian)
5. Penn State University (ranked #14 in top public univ.)
6. 350+ hours of clinical volunteering by July 2019 at 2 different hospitals (patient care positions)

7. Several extensive research experiences
a) 200 hours sophmore year
b) 950+ hours from junior to senior year (honors thesis work)
c) 700 hours as a Student Research and Technology Assistant (2 publications)

8. 60+ hours of shadowing by July 2019 at NIH Clinical Center ICU Rounds, Radiation Oncologist at University of Maryland Medical Center and Orthopedic surgeon at Howard County General Hosp.

9. Long-term non-clinical volunteering (4+ years) at a socio-spiritual organization (1500+ hours) with leadership and service. Short-term volunteering at a homeless shelter and SalvationArmy (80 hours)

10. Part-time jobs during my undergrad: convenience store cashier (1500+ hours) and 700 hours as a Student Research and Technology Assistant (2 publications)

Teaching: served as a teaching assistant and learning assistant for 4 semesters (400+ hours) in general biology, molecular biology and physiology

Leadership: Treasurer for Biology Club (70 hours) for 1 year

Gap year activities: NIH Postbac Research Fellow(full-time position) 4000+ hours working on HIV vaccine research project. And also volunteering and shadowing mentioned above.

11. Honors and Awards: Several awards, honors, and Scholarships since freshmen year to senior year at PSU

12. 3 publications with mid-order author and several poster presentations.

My School List:

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Loyola University School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Wake Forest School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Tulane University School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Drexel University College of Medicine
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Rutgers RObertWOOd
Rutgers NJMS
West Virginia University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dartmouth?
Einstein?
U of Maryland?
U of Mass?

I applied 2017-2018 cycle but only received 1 interview. Poor choice of schools and lack of clinical hours and being unable to add NIH postbac experience in last cycle may have impacted my success last year. Since then, I have significantly enhanced my app with research and clinical hours.

Does the above school list seem valid to you?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. Your ? schools are not realistic. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Seton Hall
Jefferson
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
St. Louis

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. Your ? schools are not realistic. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Seton Hall
Jefferson
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
St. Louis

Thanks for your input.

Okay. My MCAT of 509 is right at their median for accepted students. So I thought I was pretty competitive there,
This is why MSAR is so valuable. It tells you that OOS applicant fare poorly at IU. It's not just about GPAs. IS applicants have 50% chance of an II. OOS? < 10%. Accepted? For IS it's at least 50% if you get an II. For OOS, 13%. So for OOS total, it';s about 2%. That's the same odds as getting into Harvard.

tldr, public MD schools favor the home team, and you have to be > avg.