What are my chances; '19-20 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiscoverWeakly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bump for different eyes/recommedations now that application time is upon us!
Will be applying by end of week. I've edited my school list since my first post.

By the time of applying
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.78
BCP GPA: 3.87
DAT: AA 20 BIO 18 GC 18 OC 22 TS 19 RC 20 QR 23 PAT 20

Major: Economics
Minor:Management
Residence: MN
Nontrad: Graduated with a degree in economics in 2012. Since then I have been working in Supply Chain and purchasing. In gaining this experience I have been twice promoted and been given direct reports. However, these positions have not been in the dental industry.
Unlike many students on here, I went into university with only a minimal idea of what I wanted to do: business or medical. Turns out I had an opportunity to study abroad for a semester my freshman year in a business program, then didn't look back. Until a couple years ago when I realized the business world doesn't suit me; it is completely unfulfilling. Upon research and speaking with some dentists I found that dentistry will truly fill my passion.
Letters of Rec: O Chem prof, strong; Microbio prof; probably average; Supervisor: Strong

Most science pre reqs taken at a Community College. I know it doesn't mean much, but it is regarded as one of the top 10 community colleges in the country (clearly I'm not actually putting much stock in this)

Shadowing: by the time of applying I will have between 120 hours; 18 Endo, 102 General
Volunteering: 250+ hours
Employment: 6 years as a Operations Planner and Buyer; 1 year as a Supply Chain Intern
EC's: Communications Chair for Economics Club, Economics Tutor, rec soccer, toastmasters club, international buddies program, study abroad ambassador, multiple study abroad experiences (2 semesters and 1 J term)

School List:
University of Minnesota
University of Iowa
University of Nebraska
UNE
Midwestern-IL
Touro
Case Western
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky
University of Colorado
UDM
Roseman University (?)
Nova (?)
LECOM
Western U
University of Utah

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!

I was hoping for some slightly higher DAT scores, but this is currently what the cards have dealt. I don't want to retake the test, but will if absolutely necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just completed the DAT this morning... At this point definitely contemplating the competitiveness of my application, and wondering what my chances are.

By the time of applying
Overall GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.78
BCP GPA: 3.86
DAT: AA 20 BIO 18 GC 18 OC 22 TS 19 RC 20 QR 23 PAT 20

Major: Economics
Minor:Management
Nontrad: Graduated with a degree in economics in 2012. Since then I have been working in Supply Chain and purchasing. In gaining this experience I have been twice promoted and been given direct reports. However, these positions have not been in the dental industry.
Unlike many students on here, I went into university with only a minimal idea of what I wanted to do: business or medical. Turns out I had an opportunity to study abroad for a semester my freshman year in a business program, then didn't look back. Until a couple years ago when I realized the business world doesn't suit me; it is completely unfulfilling. Upon research and speaking with some dentists I found that dentistry will truly fill my passion.

Most science pre reqs taken at a Community College. I know it doesn't mean much, but it is regarded as one of the top 10 community colleges in the country (clearly I'm not actually putting much stock in this)

Shadowing: by the time of applying I will have between 100-125 hours; mainly general
Volunteering: 250+ hours
Employment: 6 years as a Operations Planner and Buyer; 1 year as a Supply Chain Intern
EC's: Communications Chair for Economics Club, Economics Tutor, rec soccer, toastmasters club

School List:
University of Minnesota
University of Iowa
Marquette University
University of Michigan
Creighton University
University of Nebraska
OHSU
UNE
Case Western
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky
University of Colorado
UDM
University of Tennessee
Roseman University
UMKC
Nova
Indiana University

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!

I was hoping for some slightly higher DAT scores, but this is currently what the cards have dealt. I don't want to retake the test, but will if absolutely necessary.

state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)

the only school on your list that is a "reach" school is Michigan, but it's ok to have one or two on your list if you can afford it
some would say that your list is a bit longer than necessary, but once again, if you can afford it, that's ok
I would advise to drop more state schools than privates if you are going to reduce your list, you want to have a mix of both, and your list is pretty heavy on the state schools

and why did you choose OHSU, and to a lesser extent, roseman and Colorado?
geographically, those make less sense for you

Hi, Tennessee resident here. I would take the University of Tennessee off of your list (although it's a great dental school) simply because they are extremely OOS unfriendly (unless you are from Arkansas specifically). Good luck, your application looks like it will be very competitive. Also, as you probably already know, make sure to submit early.

the only school on your list that is a "reach" school is Michigan, but it's ok to have one or two on your list if you can afford it
some would say that your list is a bit longer than necessary, but once again, if you can afford it, that's ok
I would advise to drop more state schools than privates if you are going to reduce your list, you want to have a mix of both, and your list is pretty heavy on the state schools

and why did you choose OHSU, and to a lesser extent, roseman and Colorado?
geographically, those make less sense for you

Yeah... I know Michigan is a reach, but I figured why not give it a shot. Upon reflection, it is heavy on state schools. I'll take a look at some more privates!

Chose the schools you mentioned that are a little outside the Midwest simply because they are places I'd like to live if accepted.

Hi, Tennessee resident here. I would take the University of Tennessee off of your list (although it's a great dental school) simply because they are extremely OOS unfriendly (unless you are from Arkansas specifically). Good luck, your application looks like it will be very competitive. Also, as you probably already know, make sure to submit early.

Ahh... Okay!
Thanks for the heads up!!
Definitely planning on submitting as soon as the app opens!

Yeah... I know Michigan is a reach, but I figured why not give it a shot. Upon reflection, it is heavy on state schools. I'll take a look at some more privates!

Chose the schools you mentioned that are a little outside the Midwest simply because they are places I'd like to live if accepted.
that's cool
I wasn't telling you to add privates, I was suggesting if you cut schools, you should cut state schools before privates
a few people would say that your list is too long
but like the other poster said, you need to look at which state school are OOS friendly...

I would say take a look at the roseman thread for this current cycle and see if you like what you see.
As for nova.... do your research....
I would add Tufts to your list

I would also suggest looking into ASDOH and UNLV if you’re thinking of adding more private schools. Keep in mind the estimated cost of applying to all those schools along with supplemental fees too. Good luck!

I would say take a look at the roseman thread for this current cycle and see if you like what you see.
As for nova.... do your research....
I would add Tufts to your list

Yeah... I've been checking out the Roseman chat... Definitely gives me pause. As you imply, there does seem to be a lot of negativity surrounding the program.

I would love to apply to Tufts, but I believe they don't accept Community College credit; is that correct?

I would also suggest looking into ASDOH and UNLV if you’re thinking of adding more private schools. Keep in mind the estimated cost of applying to all those schools along with supplemental fees too. Good luck!

I appreciate the insight! I've set aside a decent chunk of money simply for applications and *knock on wood* interviews. But it is definitely something I'm considering.

Probably removing at least Indiana and Creighton as well as it appears they also do not accept CC credits. I'll look into ASDOH and UNLV! Another school that jumped out as a potential for me to be competitive at is Western U. Any insight into that school? I plan on digging further, but a shot in the dark.

I appreciate the insight! I've set aside a decent chunk of money simply for applications and *knock on wood* interviews. But it is definitely something I'm considering.

Probably removing at least Indiana and Creighton as well as it appears they also do not accept CC credits. I'll look into ASDOH and UNLV! Another school that jumped out as a potential for me to be competitive at is Western U. Any insight into that school? I plan on digging further, but a shot in the dark.
Definitely call and talk to Indiana before you cross it off your list. That school surprised me with an OOS acceptance, though I admit I don't know much about applying with CC credit. Worth a shot if they accept it!

And sorry, I don't have any insight into Western, but hopefully someone else can chime in on it. Best of luck! :)

Definitely call and talk to Indiana before you cross it off your list. That school surprised me with an OOS acceptance, though I admit I don't know much about applying with CC credit. Worth a shot if they accept it!

And sorry, I don't have any insight into Western, but hopefully someone else can chime in on it. Best of luck! :)

Deal! I'll definitely give them a call!!
Congrats on DCG :)

Reactions: 1 user
I would love to apply to Tufts, but I believe they don't accept Community College credit; is that correct?

Ah yes. My apologies. I must have skipped over that part of your original post.
Here is what is pulled from their website:

“2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Biology
1 semester ( 3 credits or 1 quarter) Upper-level Biology
2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Inorganic Chemistry
2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Physics
1 semester (4 credits or 2 quarters) Organic Chemistry
1 semester (3 credits or 1 quarter) Biochemistry
1 semester writing-intensive Humanities or Social Science course (may include History, English, Comparative Literature, Philosophy, Government or Women’s Studies)
Please note: Labs are required for all science courses, except Biochemistry or the upper-level Biology, where applicable (lab only required for Biochemistry or the upper-level Biology if it is a required part of the course at the university at which it is completed). All pre-requisite coursework must be completed at an accredited four-year college/university that offers a bachelor’s degree in the prerequisite subject area. A degree from a four-year college is required for matriculation. Community college coursework is not accepted for the prerequisite coursework.”

Bump to see if there are any new recommendations/schools since my first post at the beginning of February.