What are my Chances? 2.7 Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipalmleftb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
U of M. 3.0 GPA. 2.7 Science.
Haven't MCAT'd yet. What score is the minimum score that I need to achieve to be able to apply?

Research
1.5 years. 2 Projects (one Unfinished due to doctor becoming very busy)
One publication.

RA Junior Year - Responsible for 61 freshmen boys; counseling, support, and discipline to ensure a successful first year at the
University, organizing social and educational events based on residents’ needs, working both independently and
in committee with other RAs in a leadership position
-Participated in extensive social justice training, including a semester-long academic course and several day and
week long workshops and weekend retreats

Liaison facilitator at a Multi-Cultural Council and a Very active member a year prior. - Programming for a mixture of educational, social, and entertainment opportunities for residents with a focus
on promoting Social Justice within the community. Also dealt with allocating funding to student organizations on basis that they were promoting social justice.

Health Initiative in the next city over. - Volunteer and on the Planning Committee. We put on health workshops and the incentive was $40 off groceries if families attended the workshops.

KGrams - Pen Pall to a elementary school student in a disadvantaged Elementary school.

Religious Student Organization - mainly participated in activities relating to community service.

Volunteering - Volunteered at a clinic in Downtown Detroit of which the work consisted mainly of filing records, faxing,
disposing of equipment properly, and checking blood pressure.

Other things that might come up
- First Generation college student.
- Economically disadvantaged
- Educationally disadvantaged background
- Asian American Male

also what else can I do to improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

There will be no MCAT score that could make up for a 2.7 sGPA. Instead I suggest you take a year (or more) to take some more upper-level undergraduate science classes to pull your sGPA above a 3.0.

Simultaneously, I suggest participating in some clinical settings, as your current experience is lacking. Aside from medical experience, though, the rest of your ECs look good.

There will be no MCAT score that could make up for a 2.7 sGPA. Instead I suggest you take a year (or more) to take some more upper-level undergraduate science classes to pull your sGPA above a 3.0.

Simultaneously, I suggest participating in some clinical settings, as your current experience is lacking. Aside from medical experience, though, the rest of your ECs look good.
what do you mean clinical settings?

Yea. I'm taking Biology of Fungi, Microbial Genetics, Eukaryote Microbiology, and Pathogenesis of Bacteria next semester. Hopefully they boost me up.

what about POst baccs. what do you think my chances are for like this program ?

http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Diversity/Postbaccalaureate-Premedical-Program.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean clinical settings?

You could either find a paid position in a hospital (nurses' aide, phlebotomist, ER tech, etc) or volunteer in a wide variety of departments. Another option is to volunteer your time at a nearby free clinic (they're always looking for help).

what about Post baccs. what do you think my chances are for like this program?

http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Diversity/Postbaccalaureate-Premedical-Program.htm
Sure, you'd be a decent candidate for a formal post-bac program. As far as Wake Forest, I know they like to focus on ethnic minorities, though you might be able to plead your case as far as being economically/educationally disadvantaged.

U of M. 3.0 GPA. 2.7 Science.
Haven't MCAT'd yet. What score is the minimum score that I need to achieve to be able to apply?
Why is your GPA so low? What has your GPA been for each of the last three semesters (I'm looking for an upward grade trend)? Do you have any low grades in the prerequisites? Did you earn any As in upper-level Bio?

You really should try to contribute something every now and then. At least a little bit.

I feel that I asked a legitimate question. He is throwing absolutes like its going out of style. According to AAMC, it seems to me that there is somewhat of a correlation between MCAT score and acceptance rate:

For instance, individuals with GPA in the range of 2.60-2.79 had the following acceptance rate:
https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-w-mcatgpa-grid-white-0810.pdf.pdf

It appears that the acceptance rate did increase along with the MCAT score with a few exceptions.

Now, as far as your request for my contribution to SDN. I would try very hard to contribute as much as you have but I hate to inform you that I don't spend as much time on SDN as you do. Therefore, I will honestly say that I will never be able to contribute over 2000 constructive comments as you have.:smuggrin: So, you have my most sincere apology Sir. This girl does have a life. ;)

Adios!

I feel that I asked a legitimate question. He is throwing absolutes like its going out of style. According to AAMC, it seems to me that there is somewhat of a correlation between MCAT score and acceptance rate:

For instance, individuals with GPA in the range of 2.60-2.79 had the following acceptance rate:
https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-w-mcatgpa-grid-white-0810.pdf.pdf

It appears that the acceptance rate did increase along with the MCAT score with a few exceptions.
Better. Thank you.

Now, as far as your request for my contribution to SDN. I would try very hard to contribute as much as you have but I hate to inform you that I don't spend as much time on SDN as you do. Therefore, I will honestly say that I will never be able to contribute over 2000 constructive comments as you have.:smuggrin: So, you have my most sincere apology Sir. This girl does have a life. ;)

Adios!

Yawn.

You'll notice that (regardless of MCAT score) ~100 students with a 2.7 were accepted nationwide. This includes the schools in Puerto Rico, which likely cuts that number in half for US schools. Now, consider students with truly unique circumstances and one-of-a-kind ECs and you're basically down to zero. 'nuff said.

Why is your GPA so low? What has your GPA been for each of the last three semesters (I'm looking for an upward grade trend)? Do you have any low grades in the prerequisites? Did you earn any As in upper-level Bio?
impulsive behavior which leads to inattentiveness (ADHD).

After many tests and interviews with Psychiatrist I got Ritalin a few days ago. I have felt a difference. For the longest time I thought it was my study habits and what not and I always tried to change them but same issue every time. I attributed it to being poor and coming from a disadvantaged HS. I attributed it to being poor because I have to work while I go to school. But whatever I tried to fix it never worked. Then I took biochemistry with a friend and he said that I spend more time studying then most people he knows and I have less to show for it. He said I should get tested and about a month later another friend of mine said that I should get tested who has ADHD. So we'll see if ADHD is the issue.

My GPA has been
3.3 pre-freshman year.
2.6 and 2.3 freshman year
3.6 and 3.2 sophomore year
3.1 Junior year and probably about the same this semester.

impulsive behavior which leads to inattentiveness (ADHD).

After many tests and interviews with Psychiatrist I got Ritalin a few days ago. I have felt a difference.
So we'll see if ADHD is the issue.

My GPA has been
3.3 pre-freshman year.
2.6 and 2.3 freshman year
3.6 and 3.2 sophomore year
3.1 Junior year and probably about the same this semester

Well, first off, don't even think of applying in 2011 with a downward grade trend. You need to prove you can excel in science classes and demonstrate an upward grade trend first, most particularly getting your sGPA much higher, hopefully starting this semester, but definitely all of next year and maybe another as well if MD is important to you. With luck, the Ritalin will make a huge difference for you, with your transcript demonstrating a night and day turn-around. The chances of getting a sufficiently competitive MCAT score will improve too with more productive study habits.

Here are some pathways to becoming a physician;

1) Plan to apply to DO med schools. Repeat the classes where you did the worst and use AACOMAS grade-forgiveness policy that includes only the most recent retake when calculating the application GPA. If you have some Ds and Fs, this is the fastest way to fix your low GPA if you can get As the second time (note: the repeated class must have the same number or greater in credit hours). Get near-straight As in any remaining prerequisites and upper-level Bio classes due to your new work ethic over 2-3 semesters. Get a good MCAT score to prove you understood the material. Shadow a DO and get a letter of recommendation. Educate yourself on this option in SDN's PreMed Osteopathic Forum.

2) For a chance at MD: After a year of near straight-As, with a 3.15+ cGPA and an upward grade trend, you can qualify for a lot of SMPs (Special Masters Program). This is a 1-2 year (expensive) paid audition/redemption option which can overrride a low uGPA. You'd need an MCAT 30+ depending on the program requirements and some recent excellent science grades to prove you have potential to succeed in the program. If you perform well in the SMP, where you compete with first year med students at their linked med school and get a high GPA, typically 3.5-3.7 or better, you have a chance of an acceptance at an MD med school. This outcome is not guaranteed, though, but DO schools still remain an option. Read more on this approach in the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum of SDN.

3) Another option for MD: Take two more years of full-time undergrad coursework, getting straight As. One could do this as a candidate for a second bachelors degree, but there is no obligation to complete the degree since you have one already. This could raise your cGPA to 3.4 and your BCPM considerably. With an MCAT score of 33-34+, you might get into an allopathic med school due to the steep upward trend and excellent MCAT score.

All these options assume optimal ECs and strong LORs, good PS and excellent interview skills.

Last edited: