1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DO What are my chances? 2.77 sGPA 3.2 cGPA 30 MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Florida_guy, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Florida_guy

2+ Year Member

Hispanic male. Graduated with degrees in music and biology in 2012.
    Hard to tell how much any of my musical achievements are worth, but I have a few. Overall, I feel I compare well with a successful applicant in the aspects of community service/medical shadowing experience.

My strongest experience has been in research, which I've been involved in for the past two years full time, but the past 5 years part time/summers. I have two publications and have been acknowledged in two other papers (is this worth anything?).

Would taking a full load of course retakes and upper level biology courses this coming Spring be enough to push me over?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

1) Acknowledgements don't add to your luster.

2) You might play with the DO GPA calculator and see if straight As for a single semester of hard sciences is enough to get your sGPA over the 3.0 mark (keep in mind that replacement grades must have the same credits or greater, need not be from the same institution, and must have a substantially similar course description in the catalogs):
    DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
    Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

4. Florida_guy

2+ Year Member

Thanks for the response! I did the math and If I retake 2 courses and add 2 new upper division bio classes, four As will bring my sGPA to 3.02 and my cGPA to 3.35.

Unfortunately, my only option to retake these courses is at a local community college. Do you think this will effect a school's opinion of me?

Assuming I ace my courses and continue shadowing and engaging in community service, what are my chances?

5. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you can take the courses at the local community college since that is your only option. A MCAT of 30 is competitive for all DO schools. Your GPA is your only weakness and a GPA of 3.3 with your MCAT would give you consideration at many DO schools. Apply to at least 15 DO schools next June with an emphasis on new schools and lower tier schools. Avoid schools that prefer their own state residents.

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum

I recall an informal phone survey by SDNers of DO schools some years back that concluded there were no DO schools that discriminated against postbac CC classwork.

With your relatively low cGPA and sGPA, I think that a micro-analysis of your transcripts is inevitable. It will help if you had an improving grade trend that began before your graduation. If you did not, then I expect some consistency in earning excellent grades (aka at least another semester's worth) will be needed. Also, I believe you will need to have a C or better in all prerequisite coursework, if that changes your need to retake more classes.

What do you anticipate will be the total shadowing hours, total active clinical experience, and total nonmedical community service at the time you apply?

Goro likes this.
  7. Florida_guy

2+ Year Member

I currently have no grades lower than Cs and do have an upward trend (my first semester was clearly my worst).

I'll have about 100 hours shadowing, 1000+ hours research, and about 200 hours non medical community service.

It's good to hear about the lack of CC discrimination.

8. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum

You didn't mention active clinical experience (separate and distinct from the passive observership of shadowing). What is your plan for interacting with sick and injured folks through volunteerism, work, or clinical research in a helpful way? Adcomms will want the reassurance that you feel comfortable dealing with patients.

Goro likes this.
  9. user3

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you apply this year, you might be able to get in. The 30 will help tremendously.

If you do apply, try LMU, WVSOM, WCU, ACOM, PCOM-GA, PNWU, LECOM-E, AZCOM, and Touro-NY.

#8 user3, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014