What are MY chances 2016-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newenglandlobster508

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I applied this past cycle a bit late, October 2nd.

I had a 3.0 science GPA and a 3.3 cumulative, 26 MCAT, 10 P, 9 B, 7 V. Majored in bioengineering, had something like 300 hours of shadowing, a published paper, and several patents

Im currently working on retaking the MCAT, and Ive signed up for a few community college biology classes, Just got an A in one of them and Im still finishing up the other two (expecting A's).

I applied to about 18 schools but looks like I was rejected from a bunch after secondaries. A few waitlisted me for an interview. I was a little shocked that schools like liberty, lecom, vcom, burrell with slightly lower end MCAT scores/GPA did not even look at my application and denied a secondary.

I went further with the upper tier schools like Touros, Des Moines, AZCOM, etc. Made it to the interview waitlist

If I apply pretty much in the month of May this year should I see more positive results? I plan on applying to all DO programs. Assuming my MCAT stays the same, and my gpa goes a little bit up

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly, and have your PS ready before the application even opens up. Start working on secondaries right after to give yourself the best shot.

Have you thought about retaking a few sciences classes to bump up that awfully low sGPA? If you could get it up to 3.2+ you would be in much better shape!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you thought about retaking a few sciences classes to bump up that awfully low sGPA? If you could get it up to 3.2+ you would be in much better shape!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Yes I have, like I said, Im taking 3 biology classes in a local college, hoping to get A's in all of them, secured 1 A so far. thanks for the advice!

Also apply to any new schools opening in 2017 (Texas, Utah, Arkansas).
This is one of my concerns, I applied to burrell, a new school, they didnt even offer a secondary to me. Higher tier schools like touro and western did. Will I face this same issue with new schools?

This is one of my concerns, I applied to burrell, a new school, they didnt even offer a secondary to me. Higher tier schools like touro and western did. Will I face this same issue with new schools?
I do not believe you will. The new schools will have many fewer applicants the 1st year because they are unknown. Just apply broadly to at least 20 schools. These are other schools where you should be competitive with your stats:
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)

I do not believe you will. The new schools will have many fewer applicants the 1st year because they are unknown. Just apply broadly to at least 20 schools. These are other schools where you should be competitive with your stats:
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Thanks I did apply to Acom, KYCOM, LMU COM, MY COM, VCOM. Most of the schools either rejected me straight off the bat or I havent heard back from them after secondaries. I hope for a more positive turn out this year.