DO What are my chances? (2016-2017 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scumione

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT
1st Attempt: 26 (9/7/10)
2nd Attempt: 502 (128/122/127/125)

GPA
Undergrad Major in Biomedical Sciences
Cumulative: 3.8
Science 3.7

Masters of Medical Sciences (SMP)
No GPA yet/ doing in Gap Year

Extracurriculars
Around 100 hours of Clinical Volunteering (Around 80+ at a Free Clinic)
Around 300 hours of Nonclinical Volunteering
Around 500 Hours of Research Experience (Internship at Well Known Company)
32 hours shadowing a Primary Care Physician
80+ Hours as a English Tutor (-_-)
Other Extracurriculars/Hobbies

5 LORs
2 Science (Biochemistry and Genetics Professors who knew me to an extent)
1 Non-science (My ENC1102 Teacher who recommended me to be a english tutor)
1 My research mentor
1 The MD PCP I shadowed

Do you think I need to retake the MCAT to get into a DO program? Will the 122 CARS keep me from getting an interview? Im a Florida Resident, and my top choice would be NOVA; however, I am open to any reputable Medical School within my reach. Any Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like MCAT is the only noticeable weak point...
122 is just too low for any medical school....
If you can get it to 126 you'll be in a good shape, even for some MD.
Aim for 125 for your CARS on your retake.

Seems like NOVA has a average of 8-9 on the reading, which translates to about 125-126.
So at the minimum, you should probably get a 124.

Seems like NOVA has a average of 8-9 on the reading, which translates to about 125-126.
Do you think my first attempt can get me into a DO program, or does the retake kind of screw me over?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think my first attempt can get me into a DO program, or does the retake kind of screw me over?

I am pretty sure that most schools look at your most recent scores. Your GPA is great. If you would have applied with he 3.8/26, you would have gotten in somewhere. Maybe contact some schools that you're interested in and see what they say about which MCAT they will weigh more heavily.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
You should be competitive for some DO schools and should receive some interviews if you apply broadly. Schools to consider include:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Any new DO schools that open in 2017 (there should be several)

Reactions: 3 users
You should be competitive for some DO schools and should receive some interviews if you apply broadly. Schools to consider include:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Any new DO schools that open in 2017 (there should be several)
Thank you! I will definitely look into theses school along with my state schools. Really hoping I don't have to retake the MCAT.

I think you're fine for all DO schools and your best shot at any MD school with be with all in FL, except U Miami

MCAT
1st Attempt: 26 (9/7/10)
2nd Attempt: 502 (128/122/127/125)

GPA
Undergrad Major in Biomedical Sciences
Cumulative: 3.8
Science 3.7

Masters of Medical Sciences (SMP)
No GPA yet/ doing in Gap Year

Extracurriculars
Around 100 hours of Clinical Volunteering (Around 80+ at a Free Clinic)
Around 300 hours of Nonclinical Volunteering
Around 500 Hours of Research Experience (Internship at Well Known Company)
32 hours shadowing a Primary Care Physician
80+ Hours as a English Tutor (-_-)
Other Extracurriculars/Hobbies

5 LORs
2 Science (Biochemistry and Genetics Professors who knew me to an extent)
1 Non-science (My ENC1102 Teacher who recommended me to be a english tutor)
1 My research mentor
1 The MD PCP I shadowed

Do you think I need to retake the MCAT to get into a DO program? Will the 122 CARS keep me from getting an interview? Im a Florida Resident, and my top choice would be NOVA; however, I am open to any reputable Medical School within my reach. Any Suggestions?

Last edited:
Thank you! I will definitely look into theses school along with my state schools. Really hoping I don't have to retake the MCAT.

I had an MCAT similar to yours going into the cycle and had 5 ii's. Apply right away and make sure those secondaries are solid.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I had an MCAT similar to yours going into the cycle and had 5 ii's. Apply right away and make sure those secondaries are solid.

Good luck!
Was your MCAT similar to the 1st or 2nd attempt? Just wondering for a better expectations on what to expect. Thank you so much for your response! I'm slowly gaining hope, haha.

Update!
I just finished my last semester and I received my first C :(. My cGPA went down to a 3.78, and my science GPA is a 3.73. Do you guys still think I have a chance without retaking the MCAT?

Update!
I just finished my last semester and I received my first C :(. My cGPA went down to a 3.78, and my science GPA is a 3.73. Do you guys still think I have a chance without retaking the MCAT?

Objectively speaking, no--it will not significantly diminish your chances. As I hear the more knowledgeable ADCOMS on SDN say, "You're human."

Your GPA is frankly really high. If you had scored, for instance, a 506 or 507 (whatever is equivalent to a 30), I would have bet you could get some love from the MD schools in FL. Again, just another pre-medical student, but scouring SDN has shown me that you are quite competitive albeit the average MCAT score.

Do you by chance know what the subsection requirements or trends are for LECOM-B? NOVA is a tier 1 school, but I am unsure of where LECOM-B ranks (I imagine fairly high though).

I just took my MCAT and I think my C/P score is unfortunately going to be hovering around a 123 or 124 with the remaining parts at least 125 or higher...

Objectively speaking, no--it will not significantly diminish your chances. As I hear the more knowledgeable ADCOMS on SDN say, "You're human."

Your GPA is frankly really high. If you had scored, for instance, a 506 or 507 (whatever is equivalent to a 30), I would have bet you could get some love from the MD schools in FL. Again, just another pre-medical student, but scouring SDN has shown me that you are quite competitive albeit the average MCAT score.

Thank you! I'm never really sure, I kept getting mixed signals from other students at my schools saying that having a C or a W kind of waives a "serious red flag" for ADCOMS.

I hope you did well on the MCAT! The wait for you scores can be agonizing, but of the people I know who did really well on the MCAT they all felt they failed it after. So who knows, you might have ended up killing the C/P section! Best of luck!

I'd add that you should be careful not to put your MD letter in the DO apps and vice versa. A DO bigwig told me that probably cost me a some IIs, but I still got into my top choice! And I failed my fair share of classes in those college daze so don't stress that C too much

Last edited:
I'd add that you should be careful not to put your MD letter in the DO apps and vice versa. A DO bigwig told me that probably cost me a bunch of IIs, but I still got into NSU my top choice! And I failed my fair share of classes in those college daze so don't stress that C too much
What if I were to send both? The thing about my letters is its in a letters packet from my school and I already requested it to ACCOMAS. I will see if there is anything I can do about that though, hopefully there is. I am shadowing a DO physician starting next month and am aiming for a letter from her but its not set in stone. Thanks for telling me that, Im definitely gonna talk to my advisor about it.

What if I were to send both? The thing about my letters is its in a letters packet from my school and I already requested it to ACCOMAS. I will see if there is anything I can do about that though, hopefully there is. I am shadowing a DO physician starting next month and am aiming for a letter from her but its not set in stone. Thanks for telling me that, Im definitely gonna talk to my advisor about it.
Yes, you should definitely try to lock down a DO letter. It's not ideal that an MD letter be in your DO app, but it's for sure worse if there's ONLY an MD letter. They want to see that you've been exposed to osteopathic medicine. Just as a general side note, DOs tend to be very proud of their osteopathic distinction (even if our generation is more concerned with the "medicine" than the adjective that precedes it, i.e. "allopathic" or "osteopathic"). I can't speak to how it could be a different case if your letters are in a packet from your school. I went to a college where they don't write a committee letter or give you any real guidance/help.

Last edited:
I'm freaking out. I submited my app 2 days ago but my transcripts are still getting sent in so I feel screwed I'm late.
Here are my STATS:
undergrad: 3.45 overall, science 3.3
masters: 3.58
mcat: 29

emt, tons of global service, 4 years of research, 3 research awards, shadowed a DO, a lot of community service

what do you think? given my app is delayed what are my chances? do i throw in the towel? what are some low tier schools I should apply to?

what schools should I apply to?

Hi guys!
Thought I would update this thread just in case someone stumbles upon it this cycle and wanted to know the outcome (I stumbled upon past threads a lot last summer). I ended up getting in this cycle! I want to thank you all for your advice, and to anyone else applying...YOU GOT THIS!

Hi guys!
Thought I would update this thread just in case someone stumbles upon it this cycle and wanted to know the outcome (I stumbled upon past threads a lot last summer). I ended up getting in this cycle! I want to thank you all for your advice, and to anyone else applying...YOU GOT THIS!
Were you accepted to a Florida MD school or a DO school?