What are my chances? 2021 Upcoming cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentgal111

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a senior in college and I am applying to dental school this coming cycle and plan on applying as early as possible in like June. I am taking a gap year.
My stats are:
oGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.3 (by the end of this semester)
DAT= AA: 23, TS: 23, PAT: 20

Shadowing: 150 so far but by the time I apply, hoping to have 200
I've shadowed 3 dentists so far. 2 general, 1 pediatric

Volunteering: 80 right now but will definitely have it to at least 150 by the time I apply
majority of these hours are from American Cancer Society. I've volunteered there for 2 summers now and plan to go back this summer while I'm applying as well. I love volunteering and love working with the staff there so I hope consistency looks good to admissions.
(While I am in the process of applying, I will also be shadowing and volunteering so those hours will continue to build until I hit submit on AADSAS.

Research: will do summer research this coming summer as I am applying (is this okay?)

EC:
Bollywood fusion dance team my freshman year

Indian Student Association (all 4 years of college)

Alpha Phi Omega (community service fraternity): member for roughly 2 years

Pledge Master position for Alpha Phi Omega: one semester

Membership Vice President for Alpha Phi Omega: One year

Organic Chemistry 1 Workshop leader: one semester (current), basically I meet with students currently enrolled in Orgo bi-weekly and I pair with a grad TA to administer worksheets and quizzes. And when I work with fellow undergrads, we go over practice problems in a classroom with orgo 1 students (This counts as 1 credit).

Private tutor: 1 semester but it is current and I plan to keep up with that in the summer and in my gap year.

I'm hoping that my grades this semester can at least raise my overall to a 3.5. (My transcript at college is at a 3.531 right now but that does not account for this one class I had to retake). Basically, I calculated my own GPA and factored in that class that was retaken bc I know dental schools will count that.
Basically, I messed up a bit my freshman year. One aspect was the fact that I had to adjust and it was a major change coming from high school. But, more importantly, I had a learning disability that I only became aware of at the end of my freshman year. I earned a D+ in Calc 1, when I retook it a I got a B- (I know, not so great). My advisor told me I needed calc 2 for my major and I took it last sem and earned an A-! I hope that helps. I also earned a C in Bio 1 and a C and C+ in Chem 1 and 2 labs, respectively. The other C+ grade I got was in a random anthropology class. Those are probably my worst grades and all of them were in mainly my freshman year (the C in lab and C+ in anthro were sophomore year) due to the fact that I did not have the accommodations I needed, simply because I was unaware I needed them! But since then, I have shown an upward trend for sure. It just freaks me out because of that D+ and my number of C's. What are my chances??

Also I've started on my personal statement and I for sure think I need to include this journey and how it helped me grow from it, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will get in somewhere. I wouldn't worry too much

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. I'm a senior in college and I am applying to dental school this coming cycle and plan on applying as early as possible in like June. I am taking a gap year.
My stats are:

Volunteering: 80 right now but will definitely have it to at least 150 by the time I apply
majority of these hours are from American Cancer Society. I've volunteered there for 2 summers now and plan to go back this summer while I'm applying as well. I love volunteering and love working with the staff there so I hope consistency looks good to admissions.
(While I am in the process of applying, I will also be shadowing and volunteering so those hours will continue to build until I hit submit on AADSAS.

Research: will do summer research this coming summer as I am applying (is this okay?)

EC:

Organic Chemistry 1 Workshop leader: one semester (current), basically I meet with students currently enrolled in Orgo bi-weekly and I pair with a grad TA to administer worksheets and quizzes. And when I work with fellow undergrads, we go over practice problems in a classroom with orgo 1 students (This counts as 1 credit).

Private tutor: 1 semester but it is current and I plan to keep up with that in the summer and in my gap year.

I'm hoping that my grades this semester can at least raise my overall to a 3.5. (My transcript at college is at a 3.531 right now but that does not account for this one class I had to retake). Basically, I calculated my own GPA and factored in that class that was retaken bc I know dental schools will count that.
Basically, I messed up a bit my freshman year. One aspect was the fact that I had to adjust and it was a major change coming from high school. But, more importantly, I had a learning disability that I only became aware of at the end of my freshman year. I earned a D+ in Calc 1, when I retook it a I got a B- (I know, not so great). My advisor told me I needed calc 2 for my major and I took it last sem and earned an A-! I hope that helps. I also earned a C in Bio 1 and a C and C+ in Chem 1 and 2 labs, respectively. The other C+ grade I got was in a random anthropology class. Those are probably my worst grades and all of them were in mainly my freshman year (the C in lab and C+ in anthro were sophomore year) due to the fact that I did not have the accommodations I needed, simply because I was unaware I needed them! But since then, I have shown an upward trend for sure. It just freaks me out because of that D+ and my number of C's. What are my chances??

Also I've started on my personal statement and I for sure think I need to include this journey and how it helped me grow from it, right?

what is your school list and state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
what is your school list and state of residence?

I live in FL.
my school list is:
Nova Southeastern
LECOM
UF
Tufts
Boston University
Marquette
NYU
U Pitt
VCU
Temple
Touro
UNLV
University of Louisville
University of Maryland

I'm still editing and adding to this list. do you have any suggestions?

I live in FL.
my school list is:
Nova Southeastern
LECOM
UF
Tufts
Boston University
Marquette
NYU
U Pitt
VCU
Temple
Touro
UNLV
University of Louisville
University of Maryland

I'm still editing and adding to this list. do you have any suggestions?

UNLV looks out of place

My stats are:

EC:

Have you visited any dental schools and met with admissions staff or current students (ASDA)? Are you going to attend the ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair later in March? If you intend to stay in Florida, I'd continue to be in contact and make sure you know what the process is like. Early applications are always going to help you. Keep working on that sGPA, but your DAT's on face value will help you.

Have you visited any dental schools and met with admissions staff or current students (ASDA)? Are you going to attend the ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair later in March? If you intend to stay in Florida, I'd continue to be in contact and make sure you know what the process is like. Early applications are always going to help you. Keep working on that sGPA, but your DAT's on face value will help you.

No I have not, do I have to specifically set something like that up? The dean of admissions from Nova came to speak to our pre-dental club 2 years ago but that's about the only interaction I've had.

You'll be more then fine, I had Similar Stats as seen below.

No I have not, do I have to specifically set something like that up? The dean of admissions from Nova came to speak to our pre-dental club 2 years ago but that's about the only interaction I've had.
There's no better time than "the present." I would start to check in with ASDA representatives at the schools you are interested in as well as admissions recruiters. If you are in Florida, there are a number of recruitment fairs coming up before the end of the semester, I think.

You'll be more then fine, I had Similar Stats as seen below.

also, im assuming you wrote a killer personal statement and had good EC's. Anything else that can makeup for the not above avg gpa?

There's no better time than "the present." I would start to check in with ASDA representatives at the schools you are interested in as well as admissions recruiters. If you are in Florida, there are a number of recruitment fairs coming up before the end of the semester, I think.

How do I get in contact with these reps?

How do I get in contact with these reps?
I can't do your homework for you. ASDA national has a website, and many of the individual chapters has its own social media account that you should be able to locate. ASDA has a predental committee and resources on its website, so you should be able to figure that out.