What Are My Chances? 29 MCAT, 3.65 GPA, 3.52sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haziqz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to apply to MD & DO schools early this cycle. I would prefer MD if possible but DO won't hurt. Here's my data:

MCAT:
Physical Sciences: 9
Biology: 10
Verbal: 10
Writing: Q

Science GPA: 3.52
Overall GPA: 3.64 (Running All Other GPA: 3.86)

I went through the recommendation committee and I got decent LORs and they said that they could be improved if I went back to them with more experience.

Experience:

• Volunteering at hospital (limited patient interaction): 70 hours
    • Shadowing with a pulmonologist and allergist: Combined 80 hours
    • Worked my freshman, half my sophomore, and senior year: Around 30 hours a week but not medically related.
    • Research in biology for a semester. My work has not yet been published but may be in a year or so.
    • Studied abroad in Spain (I don't know if this is counted but I thought I might just throw that in there)

I'm a ORM in Chicago. Do I have any chances if applying early this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

you stand a good shot for DO schools. The one thing I would improve on is your clinical experience as 70hrs seems a bit low.

The semester abroad is always something interesting to include and makes you stand out a bit

MD schools, I'm not too sure. You would have to apply to many many programs

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 3.65 cGPA and also a 3.6 sGPA and a 29Q MCAT. 11 B 10 V 8 P, and I was accepted to two MD schools (interviewed at 3).

Apply early and apply broadly.
**Since you discussed ethnicity, I'm white.

3.56cgpa 3.67spga for me and a 28 mcat. Only applied to 7 schools. Had 1 DO and 1 MD interview and I got into the DO school.

apply early and very broadly and you have a shot at MD. I know someone with similar stats and a 28 MCAT who got in MD this past cycle (not URM either) but she applied to like 25 schools