This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolstriving97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone!

This is another what are my chances thread! I am an asian female, texas resident, and senior applying this cycle. I took my MCAT last summer and I got a 520!
GPA wise i haven't been so lucky, i was enrolled in a dual credit program in high school and didn't do very well so those grades are counted in my gpa. First two years of university were very emotionally difficult for me. My child hood friend suddenly died and that really messed me up, i have financial situations at home which required me to work full time with classes, basically emotionally and mentally those first two years were insane. I have 4 Ws a couple F's, D's, and C's.
Third and 4th year of university is 4.0 gpa and i retook all my medical school requirement classes with A+ in all of them. So i have a huge upward trend of about 85 credit hours with 4.0 gpa. (including all upper level sciences) (I'm a biology major btw)

ECs
2 years research in private cardiology lab
Summer job at optometry clinic as an assistant (did all pre eye exams and computer systems)
1 year admin assistant job (enjoyed working here, not really a premed job tho)
4 years (2000+ hours) volunteering at non profit clinic for underserved community (vitals and scribing)
Teachers Assistant in science classes junior and senior year
private tutoring 4 years 5 hours a week
Art festival volunteer biannually for 4 years
Community health fairs for 4 years (3 per year)
Pre Medical group officer at university senior year
part of 3 university clubs

I personally think my LOR and PS are good because of my struggles and personal experiences.
I highlighted my reasons to becoming a doctor were to help the underprivileged in my community

honestly freaking out because i really want to go to med school and dont want to do a post bacc or SMP. My gap year will consist of interview(hopefully) and working as a scribe, continuing research, non profit clinic, and possibly another upper level science class?

MY school list is obviously every school in texas - dream is UTSW (ANY CHANCE??)
definitely applying DO as well.

Some more OOS are:
University of Arizona
University of Washington - Seattle
University of Vermont
UCLA
USC
Georgetown
Florida State
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
LSU
UMass
Michigan State
SUNY - both
Toledo - Love this school (ANY CHANCES?)
University of Utah

Im applying to around 40 schools in total because i am so scared. Any more suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your state of residence...
Remove UWash, UMass, MSU, LSU, FSU, Utah.

Your GPA wont make UCLA or USC likely at all, remove them.

Consider adding:
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Albany
VCU
EVMS
Rush (maybe)
Saint Louis

Your focus should be on DO and your state schools.
Yes, your MCAT is amazing, but your GPA will hold you back. Get the MSAR and look into schools that are OOS friendly.