• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

What are my chances? 3.19 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 30Q, MSc. degree. Thanks!

LedZepp

5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2009
  1. Medical Student
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

cGPA - 3.2
    sGPA - 3.3

freshman - 1.8
    sophomore - 2.6
    junior - 3.2
    senior - 3.6
    post-bacc - 3.7
    graduate - 4.0

MCAT - 10/10/10Q

Strong points:
    -strong upward trend
    -MSc. degree (unrelated field)
    -research published in academic journal (one paper, first author)
    -2 years as a TA
    -150+ volunteer hours at ER clinic
    -100+ volunteer hours as Team Leader at large hospital
    -great LORs
    -"A" in post-bacc Physics, English and Behavioural
    -mature student - 27 years old
    -took a few courses in a post-bacc, pre-medical science program at a Naturopathic School - received A in all courses, but this institution has no regional accreditation, so these aren't included in my GPA calculation (naturopathy is definitely not for me)

Weak points:
    -Canadian
    -poor grades freshman and sophmore - includes 1st years Bio (C+) and Gen Chem 1 (D) and Gen Chem 2 (F but retaken to a B in sophomore year)
    -a "B" in post-bacc Orgo (exam was unreasonably hard i.m.o.)

My hope is to demonstrate that I've come a long way since freshman and junior years, both in in terms of academic aptitude and maturity.

Should I consider retaking Gen Chem 1? It would provide a 0.05 and 0.07 increase to cGPA and sGPA, respectively.

Thanks again!

About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 4, 2006
    The Other Side of the Portal
    1. Attending Physician
      Should I consider retaking Gen Chem 1? It would provide a 0.05 and 0.07 increase to cGPA and sGPA, respectively.
      As a generalization, a C+ or better is desirable in the prerequisites, (so as a knee-jerk reflex, I'd say yes to your question) however individual DO schools vary. The DO MSAR-equivalent is here:
      http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-whole.pdf

If the informtion you need for your target schools isn't there, then call schools individually and ask what they prefer.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.