lightblueelephant

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi all, just got my scores back for the MCAT today I'm disappointed as I averaged a 126-128 on chem phys. Here's my breakdown: 124/127/127/125

I have a previous bachelors degree business. I then went straight into my second bachelors at a different school in biology, I am taking my last class and will graduate in December.

My sgpa is 3.51 for DO, 3.48 for MD
my cGPA is 3.59
My post bacc gpa is a 3.68 with a massive upward trend like averaged (3.7 - 4.0 for the past 2.5 years)

ECs:
lots of shadowing
2.5 years of research, 1 poster, working on publication
100 hrs volunteer local ER
250 hours volunteer local children's hospital
some community/non medical volunteering

leadership position in school club

non-URM

*edited because too many people from my school can figure out who I am

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017
Status
Hello, I think you have a good chance of getting accepted. You have stats very similar to mine (499MCAT, 3.6cGPA, 3.8sGPA, and a publication) and I was just accepted to WVSOM and have interviews at 4 other schools (A.T. Still (KCOM), MSUCOM, KYCOM, and PNW) over the next few weeks. Your sGPA is mildly low but falls around the average for a handful of schools. I didn't get a secondary from RVU-CO, but I'm sure you can since you have a higher MCAT. Overall, I believe you'll be a solid candidate.

About the Ads

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi all, just got my scores back for the MCAT today I'm disappointed as I averaged a 126-128 on chem phys. Here's my breakdown: 124/127/127/125

I have a previous bachelors degree in business administration and minor in psychology- graduated in 2014. I then went straight into my second bachelors at a different school in biology, I am taking my last class and will graduate in December.

My sgpa is 3.51 for DO, 3.48 for MD
my cGPA is 3.59
My post back gpa is a 3.68 with a massive upward trend like averaged (3.7 - 4.0 for the past 2.5 years)

ECs:
200+ hours shadowing in every specialty under the sun, Including a DO
2.5 years of research, 1 poster, working on publication, attended conference
100 hrs volunteer local ER
250 hours volunteer local children's hospital
alternative break trips
volunteered at camp for kids with special needs
just got hired to scribe full time
1 yr Regional Health Equity Club Leader and council

non-URM

My ideal school: RVU-CO
You are definitely competitive for RVU com and other DO schools, but that MCAT will sink you for MD. I would apply broadly to DO asap.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 next June and you should receive several interviews.

OP
lightblueelephant

lightblueelephant

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
Status
Yours stats are competitive enough that if you applied now, you'd likely get some interviews.
This is gonna make me cry, I started post bacc with a 2.7 sGPA and to know that I stand a chance even is a big moment.

Hey all knowledgable @Goro can you suggest some schools for me? Thanks!

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
This is gonna make me cry, I started post bacc with a 2.7 sGPA and to know that I stand a chance even is a big moment.

Hey all knowledgable @Goro can you suggest some schools for me? Thanks!
If you decide to apply now then get that app in ASAP, I agree you would probably get interviews (I would bet on 3). It wouldn't be a bad idea to wait however, as you can really get that app out day 1 and maybe snag some interviews at the more competitive schools that might pass you by if you applied now.

And congratulations, you have worked very hard and are so close to that acceptance! Make that app shine with great writing and ECs (hopefully already have them) and you will have more than one option

About the Ads