Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD & DO What are my chances? 3.58cGPA, 3.52sGPA, 30 MCAT, DACA status

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by 0reoLover, 10.01.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. 0reoLover

0reoLover

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys so before people call me lazy for not lurking the other people with stats similar to mine, let me explain my situation. I am a DACA (deferred action for childhood arrivals) student. Basically for schools that don't have a DACA option while applying I'm pretty much an international student. But I've gone to elementary school through college in NYC.

so my stats:

3.58 overall gpa
    3.52 science gpa
    GPA is low mostly due to orgo and bio lab classes.
    Neurobio major.

My MCAT breakdown is a 9 PS- 10 VR- 11 BS. Not really happy with the score because I did below my AAMC averages (32-33) and so, I'm most likely retaking it in January if I can get a seat. Also it'll help me be a stronger international applicant.

As far as ECs go I think its also a pretty pedestrian app:

Work
    I worked as an office assistant/receptionist freshman and sophomore year summers full-time. Before I got a job as an RA.

I was a Resident Assistant for 2 years. Junior and Senior year. Supposedly a 20 hour per week commitment but felt like a lot more LOL!

Volunteer/Research
    I volunteered in a Sociology/behavioral sciences lab for a semester and did about 135 hours total. No publication, actually got fired due to a weird misunderstanding and didn't really fight for the job after.

I am currently volunteering in a psychology/psychiatric lab and been working there for a little more than a year and have about 600 hours there and about a 1/3 of the hours are clinical hours with subjects. No publications but hopefully I can get on one.

Volunteer/Clinical
    Volunteered about 40 hours as Physical Therapy volunteer in a hospital. Basically shadowed a PT. All hours are clinical.

I also shadowed a doctor (MD) for about 40 hours over last summer. Also have a DO lined up to shadow soon.

Random ECs
    I also played intramural basketball all 4 years of college.

I am also currently volunteering in my church's sunday school which is about 2 hours a week.

I also gave 4 sermons in my church over the last 4 years.

The only reason I'm talking about church a lot is due to the fact it is a big part of my life and the fact that the one DACA friendly school, Loyola, is a Jesuit institution and it might catch their eye.

So guys, what are my chances? Also should I retake the MCAT or just apply this cycle and next cycle with the 30?

Also DO or MD I really don't care. Also if you guys have any suggestions as to what schools to look into that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT:
    Also I'm India, if you couldn't tell from my pic.
    I'm also open to Post-baccs that have like guaranteed interviews or admissions like Touro-NY's master program.

Last edited: 10.01.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    To maintain anonymity, I recommend changing your avatar.
    AAMC has posted the smattering of schools that have responded to an inquiry re DACA applicants.
    https://www.aamc.org/students/download/404292/data/daca.pdf

4. 0reoLover

0reoLover

Pre-Medical
    New to posting, just changed my avatar.
    Thank you so much! That list is very helpful!
    There is hope after all!

gyngyn likes this.
  5. user3

user3 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering seems limited. That combined with borderline stats is going to make your MD cycle a rough one. You are very competitive for DO schools though, apply to 5-10 of your choice.

About the ads