MD What are my Chances? 3.7/523

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDcrazy8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an ORM female studying Biomedical Engineering at a well-known, top-5 Engineering school. I will be applying next cycle (entering class of 2022) after taking a Gap year, so I would like some advice on schools to shoot for (Ideally I would love to be in a top-20 such as CWRU/Cleveland clinic, Yale, Emory, Umich, OSU, etc are what I am shooting for since I have heard they are more forgiving on lower GPAs.) I didn't decide until less than a year ago that medical school was my path, which is why I have a lower gpa from before, but I worked hard to improve it after my decision.

1. cGPA: ~ 3.7 and sGPA: ~3.66 (3.5-->3.0-->3.7-->4.0). I think this is considered an upward trend
2. MCAT: 523
3. State of residency: GA
4. Undergraduate institution: well-known, top-5 Engineering school
5. Clinical experience: Volunteered with local Children's Hospital ~200 hours as part of Children's Miracle Network. Had direct patient contact and was the Family-Relations Coordinator where I helped organize a Miracle-Week Charity Volleyball tournament for the Miracle Families and Halloween Trick-or_treating around greek-row. 50 of those hours are teaching STEM-activities and outreach to patients in the Children's Hospital. Also a COVID-19 Crisis line responder for a free clinic targeted towards underserved populations in my urban city (just 25 so far, but expected to increase over time)
6. Research experience: Research starting from Freshman Year, 2 in undergraduate research lab with my own independent project for which I was awarded a PURA award (presidents undergrad research award for my proposal) but had to decline funding due to logistics of lab availability. Then switched to do 2 years in Clinical research at local hospital with a cardiologist. Will have at least 2 pubs where I will be first author, 1-2 poster/abstracts
7. Shadowing: Curently only at 40 hours of cardiology shadowing. Hope to improve this, but how many is good to shoot for? Corona has obviously hurt a low of people's ability to shadow. I have also been accepted to a fully-funded 3-week medical brigade in which I will be shadowing and treating as a medical-assistant to the underserved people of the Dominican republic. The program sees at least 80 patients a day for 3 weeks.
8. Non-clinical volunteering: Developed activities related to STEM that tackled state education standards and volunteered/tutored with local public schools, mainly low-income and undeserved populations (50 hours) Also volunteered for Fighting-hunger related organizations by packaging meals for the food insecure.
9. Other extracurriculars: Vice President of Academic Outreach for sorority- helped and facilitated Scholarship Improvement plans for those struggling academically while providing academic and career related advice/events, bringing us to one of the highest GPAs of a greek chapter; Helped to start a free Homeless-Shelter for students on campus (currently being expanded for COVID relief) that aids in guidance towards social-workers, food banks, and free healthcare; President of the Student Advocacy Board; Campus Tour Guide; Student Government Health and Well-being committee (1 year)
10. Relevant honors/awards: PURA (research award); Deans List/Faculty Honors; At the final round for fellowship for a world-renowned non-profit to advance leadership and my Homeless-Shelter initiative, high probability of getting accepted.
11. Anything Else- Enjoy blogging, dancing, and outdoor-excursions/hiking

Obviously don't have letters of recc together since I am not applying this cycle, but I know I can get at least two good ones from my research advisor, and from hopefully a high-up engineering department member from my work on the Student Advocacy board.

Do I have a shot at any ivy-leagues or top 20s? I know my GPA is on the lower side of their ranges due to my late decision to become a doctor, but I tried to make up for it with upward trends, a good MCAT, and my ECs. If these aren't a possibility, what schools should I shoot for? I always have been passionate about affordable healthcare, technology/medical devices, and research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Carle Illinois
Washington University
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Harvard
Yale
Brown
Dartmouth
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
USC Keck
UCLA
Mayo (both schools)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Carle Illinois
Washington University
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Harvard
Yale
Brown
Dartmouth
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
USC Keck
UCLA
Mayo (both schools)

Thank you very much! My only question is- is this list possibly too top heavy? I was under the impression that since my GPA is barely 10th percentile for a lot of the top schools, I should balance it with a lot of low-mid tier schools. The issue with this is that I'm worried I will get screened out for being out of state or if my MCAT is too high.

In addition, are my ECs even measurable compared to other top 20 applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will not be screened out at any of the schools I listed because of your high MCAT of 523. Most of the schools I suggested are private schools and do not have an instate bias. Public schools such as U Michigan and Ohio State admit half their class from OOS and are looking for high stat non resident applicants. Your ECs are fine.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much, this was extremely helpful and gave me a lot of hope! I had a question just to build my own knowledge of the application process- is there a particular reason you didn't list hopkins, stanford, and penn but did list harvard,nyu, etc.? E.g they care about higher gpas, etc. Just trying to get an understanding of what those schools may prioritize vs the schools you listed so that I can truly determine the ones I am a good fit for :)

Johns Hopkins has a GPA 10th percentile of 3.84. U Penn is 3.74. I included a few schools where you are less than the 10th percentile as reaches such as Washington U since they like very high MCAT applicants.

You're good to go with @Faha's list. Just making sure you know that many schools will regard your international medical brigade involvement neutrally or discount it.

Yes, after doing some research I realized how this may come across to adcoms as voluntourism... I genuinely just have an interest in public health and underserved communities, but I do want everything on my application to matter. Given that I am lacking shadowing hours/ clinical experience outside of my direct patient-volutneering, I think I may drop the brigade (likely to with the current pandemic regardless) and use that time to get more shadowing hours across different specialties. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Reactions: 1 user