Quantcast

What are my chances? 3.80 30Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimKita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Just wondering what my chances are/how many interviews I can expect.

Undergraduate College: Boston College
GPA: 3.80o, 3.75s
MCAT: 30Q (10, 10, 10)
Strong letters of rec
One year of research experience at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Shadowed two surgeons
Diverse Extracurriculars:
-1400 hours of tutoring experience over 2 yrs, during which time I tutored jr high school, high school and college students in 16 different subjects.
-Over 1000 hours spent as a volunteer high school wrestling coach
-certified personal trainer
-Help coordinate and participate in an event for special needs children at Boston College

I feel like the MCAT is a little low (but balanced), and I could have more health-related experience. Hopefully the GPA and extracurriculars make up for them.

I applied to:
Tufts
BU
UMass
SUNY Up
SUNY Down
Einstein
Albany
NY Medical College
NYU
Stony Brook
UCONN
UVM
USC
Drexel
Temple
Georgetown
George Washington

Thanks for any feedback!

Reaction score
Beyond the passive observership of shadowing, do you have any experience interacting with sick people personally, via volunteerism, work, or research? If it's low, it's not too late to have an impact on this season's deciisions by getting something started and letting schools know via update letter. As a personal trainer, did you work with people rehabbing injuries, and if so, did you present this as clinical epxerience on your application? It doesn't cover "sick" people expectations, but it helps.

Hours of shadowing? Did you ever help? Adding a primary care doc, if only for a day, would be helpful.

Was the tutoring paid? Regardless your teaching experience via coaching and tutoring is superb. Your research is about the average. I like your community service record, and the associated leadership, too.

TimKita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Catalystik: Thank you for your feedback!

My research position at beth israel involved a clinical aspect too. It did not involve interacting with "sick" people per se, but did involve a lot of interactions with "subjects." I worked in the Gerontology/Hemodynamics Lab. Our work involved trying to enhance balance in the elderly through vestibular stimulation. We had subjects come in just about every day. We ran baseline balance tests on them. Then we placed electrodes on them and measured balance again through a variety of tests. When I wasn't helping out with the subject balance tests, I was analyzing ocular torsion data to see if balance did improve significantly. So while I did not interact with "sick people" I did work with subjects a lot.

I have worked with a couple injured people and discussed it briefly on the application. I only became certified as a personal fitness trainer this summer, so my experience is limited so far, although I plan on doing more of it during my year in between undergrad and med school.

My shadowing was unfortunately just passive observation in the OR. Thank you for the suggestion on a primary care shadow though.

The tutoring was paid. I started out with a fairly low hourly wage, and have increased it steadily as students have improved markedly and been very happy with my work. That being said, I have never turned down a student because they could not afford to pay me, and have decreased my wage for those students to accommodate them.

-tim

Reaction score
While your interactions with the elderly are helpful, I feel it would help you to augment this experience, ideally, with sick people. Due to your Fitness Training background, you might find it very interesting to volunteer with a rehab center or at a physical therapist's office. But there are many other clinical venues that would be appropriate: free, private, family-planning, or low-income clinic, hospital, nursing home, and hospice are other examples.

I encourage you to strongly consider doing this, as clinical experience is an unwritten requirement, and the average applicant has about 1.5 years of weekly experience (at 4 hours per week).

With your 3.8/30, I'd think that interview invitations from the following bolded schools are a good possibility:

Tufts
BU
UMass I would hope so
SUNY Up maybe
SUNY Down
Einstein
Albany
NY Medical College
NYU
Stony Brook
UCONN
UVM