Nov 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
MCAT - 514 (128/129/129/128)
Degree - Biology, minors in chem and theater arts
GPA - (at time of application) cGPA - 3.83, sGPA - 3.75. U shaped curve, during second semester sophomore year had a death in the family and was overcommitted to extracurriculars. Consistent 3.9/4.0 qGPA junior and senior years (so far)
State of residence - New Jersey
Ethnicity - White
Extracirriculars - Tutor for like 7 classes, TA for 2, president of interfraternity council with 854 members, business manager of 2 clubs, outreach coordinator for one, 2 yrs research in a neuro lab with 2 posters (probably more coming) and a paper with first authorship on the way, 350+hrs of clinical volunteering, I think like 2000+ hrs of non-clinical volunteering (I raise service dogs that go to kids with autism so idk if it'd be fair to count when they stay with me, which is a lot, if you don't its somewhere closer to 500/600). Plan to work as an EMT/research during gap year, looking to potentially do a 6 month abroad volunteering program. Also really really good LOR, and about 150 hrs shadowing between 5 specialties

School lists -high tier MD, Pitt/Duke/Columbia are on my list. If not for these being my target this wouldn't even be a question, but since the averages for those schools for the MCAT are so much higher than mine im very nervous. Is there a chance I could get into Pitt or something in that calibur? I know schools like Columbia or Duke are much more of a longshot but have history at Pitt so idk if that'd help. I'm really considering retaking the MCAT (scheduled for march) but idk if I can honestly bring myself to do it again. I was averaging 522 on AAMC materials so it was a really big disappointment but for various reasons I got a 514. If there's a decent chance I could get into pitt then I might consider cancelling and just taking a break, but if not I'll retake it bc I can obviously get a higher score

Last edited:

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Your best bet is applying in general to medical schools where your MCAT score is at the 90th percentile or above, for sure 75th percentile according to incoming class stats reported on MSAR. To that end, I think Duke and Columbia are out of range unless you fit their mission. I'd have to look at Pitt's stats in the MSAR, but I thought they were pretty high.

Good luck on your MCAT retake. What were the extenuating circumstances that you believe caused you to get a lower than anticipated score?

Nov 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your best bet is applying in general to medical schools where your MCAT score is at the 90th percentile or above, for sure 75th percentile according to incoming class stats reported on MSAR. To that end, I think Duke and Columbia are out of range unless you fit their mission. I'd have to look at Pitt's stats in the MSAR, but I thought they were pretty high.

Good luck on your MCAT retake. What were the extenuating circumstances that you believe caused you to get a lower than anticipated score?
Thank you! If I restrict myself to 90th/75th percentile it keeps me at DO schools and pretty low-tier MDs so I guess that answers my question about Pitt (average mcat 517) lmao that was a nice but needed kick to my confidence haha. I had a lot of unexpected family business right around the time of the exam which was tough to deal with, so I think it really impacted my score since there's such a huge disparity between practice and the real thing.

Last edited:
About the Ads
Apr 9, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)

I would say that Pitt is not too unreasonable for the upper-tier of his list. They tend to have a pretty broad MCAT range and favor interviewing applicants excited about biomedical research. The extensive neuro research with posters and first-authorship would mitigate a 25th percentile MCAT.

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Listen I wouldn't delay your application for just one specific school; there is never a guarantee you would get an interview even with a 520+. If you really feel strongly about it, you could try a retake, but you better be certain you will score 520+.

What I can say is your GPA is great, your MCAT is solid, your activities are well rounded. You are also in NJ so you have a good shot at RWJ and NJMS. Have a balanced list and add some of your reaches onto there, see how it shakes out. If you're coming from a top tier school it might help with some of your reaches.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.