MD What are my chances? 3.84 Overall and 3.70-3.73 Science, Top 10 school, 507 MCAT (128,125,126,128)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I graduated back during May and am going to apply next cycle. I am an ORM with a 3.84 Overall and 3.70-3.73 Science GPA, Top 10 UNDERGRAD, 507 MCAT (128,125,126,128). I am extremely worried about my MCAT and this has constantly been disappointing me. I made the huge decision not to retake my MCAT since that was my second time taking it and no substantial increase the third time is deadly. I am a NJ resident also. My extracurriculars are above average. Some leadership positions, research with a publication(not first author), technician work,some but not a lot work with underserved population and public health, shadowing, etc. 5-6 recommendations with atleast 3-4 above average. Literally my only glaring hole is the MCAT but please suggest schools I can apply to and your experiences/successes/failures you've had applying to these places. I am only applying MD but am literally willing to go to "bumble**** school of medicine at this point" as long as its in the US and accredited and somewhat respected. I will prewrite my primaries and secondaries and make sure to submit the first day of next cycle. You can probably tell I'm freaking out with my MCAT as I'm a lot more limited in the schools I can apply to and attend. Please only serious advice and do not troll - I've had my heart broken from the MCAT and so much time spent.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT score is fine for many schools. You have a good GPA which will help. I suggest all these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state MD schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Roseman, Kaiser)
Try and accumulate 50 hours of shadowing and more clinical volunteering hours before you apply.

Your MCAT score is fine for many schools. You have a good GPA which will help. I suggest all these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state MD schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Roseman, Kaiser)
Try and accumulate 50 hours of shadowing and more clinical volunteering hours before you apply.

I have around 300 hours of shadowing and clinical volunteering - that part went with the etc.

Also some of these schools have a 511-512 MCAT average. Aren't those way way way out of my range?

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

I recommend:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Thanks for the list. I'll consider some of those but I'm not applying DO.

With a 507 and 125 in CARS, beggars can't be choosy, but the three NJ MD schools are your best bets.

Do you think there is a high risk I won't get in anywhere?

Do you think there is a high risk I won't get in anywhere?
I wouldn't say that, but you do have a slightly < avg MCAT score (for nationwide applicants) and a 125 in one category and ~ 67% ile in Biology. Granted, CARS gets cut the most slack. But given that only 40% of applicants get accepted, I'd rather see you try some DO schools and get at least some accepts, than have to try another cycle and lose some $200K in future income if you're shut out this cycle.

Mind sharing why, just curious. I dont mean to be hostile or anything, I just like hearing opinions from people that are different than mine.

There is a stigma against DO and I can’t live with myself for the rest of my life. I have done better on MCAT practice and scored 99th+ on the SAT so I’m capable or doing at least 510 on mcat but I don’t think it’s worth it in case I don’t go up this third retake which would be disastrous

I wouldn't say that, but you do have a slightly < avg MCAT score (for nationwide applicants) and a 125 in one category and ~ 67% ile in Biology. Granted, CARS gets cut the most slack. But given that only 40% of applicants get accepted, I'd rather see you try some DO schools and get at least some accepts, than have to try another cycle and lose some $200K in future income if you're shut out this cycle.

So my MCAT score nullifies everything else - my GPA, undergraduate institution and everything else I’ve done? It seems like other ppl with better MCAT scores get cut slack with GPA and EC. I will probably apply to 30-40 scores with no schools above 511-512 median mcat cutoff and I will apply the day the app portal opens next year. I don’t know why I haven’t been scoring well on McAT. All my friends scored 515+ on McAT with a handful above 520

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There is a stigma against DO and I can’t live with myself for the rest of my life. I have done better on MCAT practice and scored 99th+ on the SAT so I’m capable or doing at least 510 on mcat but I don’t think it’s worth it in case I don’t go up this third retake which would be disastrous. Plus I know tons of people who are in an MD school I in no ways see myself as inferior or less capable than them. So a DO would lower my self-esteem significantly

Members don't see this ad :)
So my MCAT score nullifies everything else - my GPA, undergraduate institution and everything else I’ve done? It seems like other ppl with better MCAT scores get cut slack with GPA and EC. I don’t know why I haven’t been scoring well on McAT. All my friends scored 515+ on McAT with a handful above 520
It doesn't nullify, but it does put you at some disadvantage. Thus, I firmly believe that you don't have the luxury of turning your nose up at DO programs.

For the three NJ MD schools, you're right at median for Rowan, hovering just above the 10th %ile for Rutgers, and and > 25th %ile for RWJ. Hence, as I said, chances are best with the NJ schools. IF you were a New Yorker, the SUNYs would likely turn their noses up at you.

It doesn't nullify, but it does put you at some disadvantage. Thus, I firmly believe that you don't have the luxury of turning your nose up at DO programs.

For the three NJ MD schools, you're right at median for Rowan, hovering just above the 10th %ile for Rutgers, and and > 25th %ile for RWJ. Hence, as I said, chances are best with the NJ schools. IF you were a New Yorker, the SUNYs would likely turn their noses up at you.

What about schools like Penn State or some Michigan schools with a 507-509 median McAt with a 50%+ of matriculants coming from out of state? I just find it hard to believe that the test somebody may have gotten on exam day will significantly influence whether person A can go to school X or Y. Would it look weird to switch to dental if I couldn’t get in MD school?

Mind sharing why, just curious. I dont mean to be hostile or anything, I just like hearing opinions from people that are different than mine.

Going DO puts you at a disadvantage for more competitive specialties. If I was OP, I'd probably apply broadly to MD only first, then reapply to DO+MD next cycle if need be. I think the opportunity cost is worth it unless you're dead set on something less competitive.

What about schools like Penn State or other schools with a 507-509 median McAt with a 50%+ of matriculants coming from out of state? I just find it hard to believe that the test somebody may have gotten on exam day will significantly influence whether person A can go to school X or Y.

Going DO puts you at a disadvantage for more competitive specialties. If I was OP, I'd probably apply broadly to MD only first, then reapply to DO+MD next cycle if need be. I think the opportunity cost is worth it unless you're dead set on something less competitive.

That is a highly valid point too! Plus with an MD you can more easily get into academic medicine or expand outside medicine! I would retake my MCAT if I couldn’t get in and only consider MD and try dental if MD doesn’t work out .

What was your first MCAT score? That WILL play a role consider a ton of schools average your scores.

Reactions: 1 user
No offense, but it sounds to me like you are more interested in having a respected career than caring for patients. There are reasons that medical schools are beginning to actively seek humble and compassionate applicants. To think that any stateside MD school is a "bumble**** school" is simply not true. Unless you wish to do some insanely competitive residency, I suggest you apply DO with a 505 & 507. A retake below 512-515 really wont do much for you at this point.

Really, if you're willing to become a dentist rather than "live with yourself" as a DO, you should probably just become a dentist.

Reactions: 2 users
I understand the whole 'specialized specialties as a DO is hard' but if you work as hard as you would at an MD school, and pull a strong Step I score, you can get into whatever you want. Its evident on every single DOs school match list. Dont mean to turn this into an MD vs DO debate

If you will be unhappy as a D.O., definitely do not apply to D.O. programs.

I am curious, however, why you would want to become a dentist before a D.O.? Do you think a dentist is somehow "superior" to a D.O.? So is your ranking: MD > DDS > D.O.? That's interesting.

You have a chance to get into an M.D. program this cycle. Chances are best at your IS schools for sure.

Good luck.

I have a friend who prefers law school over D.O. His father is a 60 something MD--a product of when machismo, medicine, and arrogance went hand in hand. But the times they are a changin'.